TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I know it is always best to wear full riding gear when trail riding which I usually do. But I bought my newest TW for hunting and target shooting. I know a lot of people on this forum also use the TW for hunting, so my question is what gear i.e..boots, pants do all the hunters use?
I will be using my bike for low speed exploring for hunting locations & actual hunting. Wearing full motocross boots & pants will be very limiting especially since I like to coyote & rabbit hunting. So getting off the bike quickly and changing out to more comfortable boots & pants can be a little bit of a pain!
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I use thick stiff Cabelas 600 gram boots laced tight and double knotted to limit laces getting grabbed. Not MX but way stiffer than most regualr boots. Usually wear heavy Carhart pants or coveralls. For hunting, I wear an open face ski/snowboard helmet, as I am genneraly going less than 15MPH and not interacting with other vehicles, just potentially branches or the ground. Not saying it is the safest set up, but balanced for safety and functionality for me, in that application.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use thick stiff Cabelas 600 gram boots laced tight and double knotted to limit laces getting grabbed. Not MX but way stiffer than most regualr boots. Usually wear heavy Carhart pants or coveralls. For hunting, I wear an open face ski/snowboard helmet, as I am genneraly going less than 15MPH and not interacting with other vehicles, just potentially branches or the ground. Not saying it is the safest set up, but balanced for safety and functionality for me, in that application.
Exactly the kind of responses I was hoping for! Thanks!!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Riding apparel should be matched to the riding. Off road riding where the rider is approaching the limits of his ability or that of the motorcycle's requires full-on MX style gear. Putting though the woods with hunting or shooting gear isn't going to require that level of protection. However, I almost always wear my chest protector when riding any kind of off road.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Ok, so I know it is always best to wear full riding gear when trail riding which I usually do. But I bought my newest TW for hunting and target shooting. I know a lot of people on this forum also use the TW for hunting, so my question is what gear i.e..boots, pants do all the hunters use?
I will be using my bike for low speed exploring for hunting locations & actual hunting. Wearing full motocross boots & pants will be very limiting especially since I like to coyote & rabbit hunting. So getting off the bike quickly and changing out to more comfortable boots & pants can be a little bit of a pain!
Thanks in advance.
I have offered these up before as a good option for hunters. Very good support AND protection and waterproof to boot. Not a lot of padding for the shins BUT very very good abrasion resistance and ankle support. Are they MX boots? No. They will however fit your hunting/riding needs nicely.

Irish Setter Men's Vaprtrek 17'' UltraDry Waterproof SnakeGuard Field Hunting Boots.

As for pants.....

REALTREE XTRA® CAMO DUNGAREE by Carhartt.

Not any real padding, but again, excellent abrasion resistance.

Tom

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have offered these up before as a good option for hunters. Very good support AND protection and waterproof to boot. Not a lot of padding for the shins BUT very very good abrasion resistance and ankle support. Are they MX boots? No. They will however fit your hunting/riding needs nicely.

Irish Setter Men's Vaprtrek 17'' UltraDry Waterproof SnakeGuard Field Hunting Boots.

As for pants.....

REALTREE XTRA® CAMO DUNGAREE by Carhartt.

Not any real padding, but again, excellent abrasion resistance.

Tom
Those boots look promising and not to bad of price either.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I get the atgatt, but there is a limit in my opinion... I have putted around in hiking shoes, wranglers and a tshirt, and in fact run to the store many times just like that, simply because I use my TW for running around locally. So with that said, when I run around the mountains my standard dress used to be Carharts until I discovered Duluth Trading! Now I wear those, they stretch a little which is nice but the best thing is the crotch gusset! As for boots, I have a pair of Forma Adventure Low that are truly awesome and I highly recommend them. They are waterproof, comfortable, and are as nice to hike around in as my Keens, which is precisely why I got them. I have worn them many times traipsing around the mountains...

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a pair of full height formas that i wear if im gonna minimally hike (they are really comfortable to wear and hike in), but if im gonna ride and put the miles on i wear a pair of meindls that are pretty stiff and protective (if not high). As for pants its either carrhart or a pair of sitka timberline pants that have padding in the knees. Occasionally put a pair of knee and shin guards on if its not too hot. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
For Winter riding I try not to buy anything specific to just motorcycling because I might be using it for other cold weather activities. I don't really hunt though I do go shooting once a year and we have what I term the "Fake Deer Hunt" coming up.This year it is on Dec. 10th, day after rifle season ends. However just yesterday I was out Stripped Bass fishing for 8 hours leaving the dock at 6:00am. We usually do Spring and/or Summer trips but because of work and other things kept putting it off again and again. So now for the first time I really needed some cold weather gear that I could use for an extended period. I've borrowed my buddies Carhartt bib overalls in the past but because I was going into a salt water environment I figured I'd finally break down and buy my own.
About $99.00 at a local Army-Navy store for the type that match my buddies 25+ year old ones. Pleated and insulated. I like the bib-overalls better than the entire coverall suit because you can take off your coat and other top coverings when you go inside. You are kinda restricted the other way around.
The tightly woven canvass is going to cut thru any bushes or brush on a Winters trail or hunting ride no problem. And they are really, really warm.

I have a lot of Carhartt clothing but not the coveralls or overalls. My friends 25 year old ones was marked 46 X 32 and fit me fine. Weird labling because at 6'2"/220lbs I wear 36X34.
The new version of the same left a few inches of the legs dragging so I went with 46X30 and that was still a bit big but remember you'll be wearing other clothes under them.
IMG_2714.jpg

Two distinct versions of this. One has the snaps on the legs. The other has the snaps and zippers running all the way up the legs. Get the ones with the zippers & snaps. Easy on and off and you dont need to make the snaps at all.
IMG_2717.jpg

Very comfortable. I was wearing flannel-lined jeans underneath for fishing. On the Saturday after Thanksgiving I'm going on a 150 mile ride and will just have regular jeans underneath.
IMG_2716.jpg

My friend Andy choose to wear his old reliable Carhartt coveralls. Once the Sun came out later in the day and it hit 40 degrees he had to keep it unzipped... got too hot.
IMG_2821.JPG

Only negative I found was my ability to really compare old Carhartt to new, same exact garment and model code.
Old had more zippers and they were all made by YKK. New has zippers marked "Carhartt" and didn't "feel" like anywhere like the quality of the older ones.
Old was insulated right up to the top of the Bib. New stopped at the waist.
The canvass seemed to be the same but stitching of the new looked like a bit less thread. Both garments still by Carhartt of Dearbown, Michigan.
Old had a label "Proudly Made in America by Union Labor". New "Made in Mexico". I checked the Carhartt coat I've owned for about 8 years and was surprised to see it also was "Made in Mexico". Never knew or noticed that before.
I don't know if all of their stuff is made there now or just certain lines? Oh well!
IMG_2711.JPG

·
Registered
230 Posts
The Carhartt gear stagewex picked is perfect for your needs . That's a Shelton Tuxedo . Lol. Most of the people around my parts rely on the tough Carhartt line for work & play.
Have a safe hunt & thank you for posting .

·
Registered
260 Posts
Good topic for another newbie here.
I have picked up armored pants and jacket now for most riding. But when just out for hike or hunt, figure i'll put the armored pants (or old stand by, one size to large carharts) on over my regular hiking duds. Big hassle to take merrill hikers off, take overpants off, boots back on etc. Another option i have used is some old cabelas snake chaps. Good leg and shin protection, (no crotch or butt though unfortunately), easier on and off. like the padded jacket on regardless, easy enough to get in and out of.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Hmm, snake chaps are another good idea that cross's over for sport to sport/hobby to hobby. Snow gaters too I suppose.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I thought mine were 600, but I wear those exact same boots. They are nice and stiff, pretty warm down to about 25 degrees (still hunting). Best boots I have had and pretty good price.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I wear whatever I plan to go hunting in. usually a decent pair of boots and whatever clothes I have on. I would say that I am probably going to buy some shin guards after riding around this year as the sticks make me a little weary when they pop out and touch you

Your picture of your motorcycle with the Elk head is that Photoshop or real?

ronnydog

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
I wear whatever I plan to go hunting in. usually a decent pair of boots and whatever clothes I have on. I would say that I am probably going to buy some shin guards after riding around this year as the sticks make me a little weary when they pop out and touch you
That would be my number one recommendation, Wear your hunting gear if you are hunting in a cold climate but get a pair of strap on shin guards that also cover your knees. I don't know what it is with these TWs but they sure do love to toss sticks from the front tire that inevitably smack your shins and knees. I found one when I got off my bike sticking right through my jeans and my high Rocky boots saved me from injury but I bought shin guards that same day.

GaryL

·
Registered
445 Posts
Huh never thought about the snake chaps going to have to dig them out of the closet. For me, hunting gear and googles or sunglasses, and now also snake chaps.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts