TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a hybrid sprocket (50tooth) with the aluminum carrier and steel teeth? I've only spent about 30min looking and I'm starting to wonder if I'll be able to find one for the TW, as my work with replacing rear sprockets is limited.

Any brands and/or links will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe I asked the wrong question. Are all rear sprockets created equal in terms of the bolt holes?

If I buy any brand of rear sprocket with 50 teeth, should I expect it to line up fine with the TW stock bolt holes?

Is there a way without comparing at a parts store to tell if another brand 50 tooth sprocket will work?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I would think they would be bike specific. Or at least brand specific. You have to watch for back spacing and thickness at the hub and such. You can get custom sprockets made for decent prices. PB sprockets is one I used. You just give them your measurements, chain size, and how many teeth. I think I got mine in less than a week.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just curious as to why you're set on a hybrid sprocket for a farm bike? It makes sense on a race bike where every little bit of weight savings and rotating mass reduction counts, but I don't see it having any benefit on something like a TW, and that's not even factoring in the additional cost.

As for bolt pattern, many bikes use different patterns, and many will have the same. You'll have to measure and shop around for one that matches the application.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not about weight reduction (although I have nothing against a little weight reduction of my two-wheeled porkmobile), I was hoping to find at least one that could match the bolt pattern and chain of the TW, I wanted to compare prices and durability.

The hybrid sprockets are usually made with an aluminum carrier with the ring with the teeth is made out of steel, so you end up with a lightweight and extremely durable sprocket.

Just like headlights, rear shocks, rear tires, oil, there may be good alternatives to stock parts, but if nobody explores those options we don't end up with quality modifications that increase the safety or enjoyment of the ride.

As for bolt pattern, I figuredit may just come down to measuring or requesting measurements for bolt diameter and distance, I'm still seeing what's out there.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Curious to see what you come up with. I think given the choice, I'd stick with single piece steel, just for the fact that if you come down on it and bend it out of shape far enough to start throwing the chain, you'll have the ability to hammer it back into shape with any random rock you find laying around. A multi-piece sprocket, with or without mixed materials, isn't going to be quite as compliant under those circumstances.

Whatever you end up getting, it might be good to have a second set of washers handy. When I switched to the ProCycle sprockets, the rear was dished in a bit, and the bolts bottomed out just a hair before the sprocket was properly secured. It may have run for a short while like that, but doubling up on the washers let me tighten them up properly.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Maybe I asked the wrong question. Are all rear sprockets created equal in terms of the bolt holes?

If I buy any brand of rear sprocket with 50 teeth, should I expect it to line up fine with the TW stock bolt holes?

Is there a way without comparing at a parts store to tell if another brand 50 tooth sprocket will work?
from my experience, they are all different. the rear sprocket off my yamaha xt225 would not fit my tw. the bolt holes and bolt spacing along with center hole diameter and chain size and and and ...all have to match.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
from my experience, they are all different. the rear sprocket off my yamaha xt225 would not fit my tw. the bolt holes and bolt spacing along with center hole diameter and chain size and and and ...all have to match.
Thanks Grewen, I kind of figured, but hoped it wouldn't be the case lol. I'll take a page out of Nihil's book and get the measurements off mine and see if I can match it up when I have time.

I feel like exploring sprocket options for the TW is going to be playing the long game. I'll update if I end up finding anything worth reporting.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I know you've probably found all the ones I'm finding. But... here is the place I used. This is the tw200 listing. I bet if you called them they could make whatever you want. I had them custom make one for my apollo 250.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts