TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have decided to go away with my bulky and super heavy platform hitch carrier to go with the hydraulic hitch carrier (moto-jack style). Is there anything I need to know and/or add before I start using it? Are the foot peg clamps enough? Do you guys use additional ratchet straps? Do you add any coatings/pads to the platform?

Give me your wisdom!

Edit: And yes I have read through westerrier's post and taken his and admirals advice to heart. Just looking for the long term user input and experiences.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Blake, I use a strap from the front motor mount down around the front of the motojack. This really helps take off the stress on the two hold downs on the the foot pegs. The bike is better balanced and secured this way. I do think it is also important to strap the front and rear of the bike to the bumper or other ends of the vehicle to reduce the bike from rocking. Will extend the longevity of the jack at the tongue and possibly avoid the jack breaking on a rough road and losing the bike. I know of one case where this happened. The jack held, but the reciever that was altered and dropped down broke and the bike took a tumble on the dirt road.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

·
Registered
23,059 Posts
Observations for those who haul TWs on rough roads:
A little rocking can eventually oblate all the 4-bar linkages pivot points so anything to limit rocking is desirable.
A hitch tightener really helps.
TW's rear can pivot down around footpads on the platform unless something also holds front of TW down. Pull down with strap from fork clamps, front tire, or California emission canister bracket.
Limiting the rocking motion also limits the apprehension one gets seeing things dance in the rear view mirror.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
15,573 Posts
Fred touched on it already but I'd like to add that with my setup which you've already looked at, I use a hitch tightener as well along with the straps securing the MotoJack to the outboard bumper. There's still some wiggle but there's gonna be some wiggle in every hitch type device you use whether it's a hitch carrier or Motojack type carrier. P.S. as Oldworld alludes to, I do not and would not rely on the peg holder clamps alone. I'm way to skeptical thinking those alone would stay in place. No worries with additional straps.
Personally, I find using a hitch carrier and Motojack hitch carrier just about equal, in speed, and ease to use.

·
Registered
23,059 Posts
The Motojack also creates a work stand for flat tires and chain maintenance. Plus a clear area to the sides of vehicle is no longer needed for loading and un-loading like with a ramp style carrier. This can be important in tight campsites, driveways or parking lots.

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Observations for those who haul TWs on rough roads:
A little rocking can eventually oblate all the 4-bar linkages pivot points so anything to limit rocking is desirable.
A hitch tightener really helps.
TW's rear can pivot down around footpads on the platform unless something also holds front of TW down. Pull down with strap from fork clamps, front tire, or California emission canister bracket.
Limiting the rocking motion also limits the apprehension one gets seeing things dance in the rear view mirror.:cool:
So I was thinking, after reading oldworld's and your post (Fred), if I lock the steering column, then run a strap from the front (forks or bars) back down to the platform, that should help keep the front from flying all over.

I wouldn't be opposed to running another strap just over the seat and hook onto The front an rear of the platform, because (as admiral mentioned) I'm also skeptical of the foot peg only clamps being sufficient. Thoughts?

I'll take a picture this afternoon, but my problem is going to be controlling the rocking as my bumper is... not exactly suited for tie downs. I was thinking I could run two straps (front and back of bike) up to my roof rack and just not wrench them down super tight, or I could drill some holes in my hitch plate and attach some caribeners or some kind of nut/bolt with a loop attached to give me something to hook straps too for rocking control.

This is what my receiver looks like (525lb tongue weight cap).

Automotive exterior Font Computer monitor accessory Automotive mirror Bicycle part

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I recently bought a 2007 TW that had fallen off a failed moto-jack that was on a Fuso Overland rig luckily it came off at 5mph off road a portion of the moto-jack broke (actually a bolt failure) which left only one foot peg attacked and when the TW flipped off the mount it really twisted the foot peg and frame where the peg attached
I'd say check fasteners often and for sure use auxiliary straps wherever possible
The guy had the moto-jack for sale as well and he fixed the broken bolt but I told him he could keep it
For me the Versahaul Sport is my ideal carrier for many reasons just one is I like to also tow one of my Kendon trailers and the extension of the Versahaul makes the Kendon literally track directly in the tracks of my tow rig RAM 3500
Versahaul makes a decent back porch for my camper / canopy and I can haul items like generators and Power casters (electric trailer
movers) etc and things other than bikes

PS re weight of deck style carriers I have had many people "throw in" hitch carriers when I buy their bikes and two that come to mind are the Zieman and the "Big Mike" were both made of structural steel and were very sturdy but extremely heavy to the point of being ridiculous for this purpose. I find the monocoque design of the Versahaul allows it to be extremely strong yet not extremely heavy so it it and has been my chosen rig for many thousands of miles of hauling and probably 1/2 of those miles also towing a Kendon trailer

I have considered trying a jack style carrier and I'm not opposed to it but after seeing one that failed and everytime I see one in person with the little tiny jack they use it doesn't instill confidence in their strength I'd like to see a little more "beef" in the design

·
Registered
23,059 Posts
Blake, your proposal sounds good.
I didn't lock my steering stem but ran looped end of a strap over top of left side fork tube back to an eye-bolt I installed on MotoJack.
I also used 2 straps from overhead cargo rack and two additional straps to strong points located underneath cosmetic bumper facia for total of 5 supplemental restraints.
Very helpful on these washboard roads ( also referred to by my wife as "cow's ribs" in her country, a cute and appropriate name).
Sky Plant Cloud Tree Horizon

·
Super Moderator
15,573 Posts
So I was thinking, after reading oldworld's and your post (Fred), if I lock the steering column, then run a strap from the front (forks or bars) back down to the platform, that should help keep the front from flying all over.
I do lock my handlebars as one of my strap points is around the fork tube just above the bottom triple tree bracket.

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I gotta check the max load on the cargo rack, but it's pretty sturdy, I checked it by slipping off of a bucket while washing my car and using the roof rack to keep myself from spilling onto the hard driveway... no bends, and with a gorillaphant like me hanging off of it, that speaks volumes to its strength.

Thank you for everyone's input, for those of us who haven't hit the lottery so we can afford a decent size truck, I'll feel better by doing the following:

-Lock TW steering column
-Strap from front forks/tripple/handlebars to platform.
-Strap over bike from front to back of platform
-Control sway and rocking with two straps to roof rack

So with those connections, plus the foot peg clamps, I should be good?

Back of vehicle for reference:
Tire Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Blake
Please......
Before you use your moto jack.
Please make sure you do not have foot pegs made of chineseium ...
Quality foot pegs are very important.......
mike from NC

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Blake
Please......
Before you use your moto jack.
Please make sure you do not have foot pegs made of chineseium ...
Quality foot pegs are very important.......
mike from NC
Lol, thanks for the tip, mine are steel and have been holding up a 400+lb gorilla that rides standing up a lot. But I'll look and see what all the cool kids are using and look into upgrading.

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also be aware that the bike on any type of carrier adds a lot of weight on the rear of the vehicle. Depending on your vehicle, don't be surprised if your headlights are pointing up into the trees and your front end gets a little squirrelly.
I've been using a ramp/rail style carrier for a while, luckily I have good suspension in the back and the gorilla up front keeps things balanced ;)

·
Registered
23,059 Posts
All sounds good.
I would try to keep tie downs to rack from touching & thus possibly chaffing Tuguan paint.
Something like simple grout sponges might help at point of contact between paint and straps
Rectangle Beige Font Plastic Metal

Reactions: Snow Fox
1 - 20 of 33 Posts