TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
For those of you that have not met Blake yet. He definitely qualifies as a Big Boy. On the other hand that VW is pretty tough as we stuffed a TW inside. The VW put up a fight but the two of us were tougher.
I was about to tell Fred, the VW already has been scarred by the TW donated by white mule, plus the broken passenger mirror I've been too lazy to replace, at this point it's lipstick on a pig. But for the sake of my beasts desire to still be beautiful, I'll look into some of those seatbelt pads I can just keep on the straps going up to the roof rack, as not to scuff her up any further.

Introducing her to the TW was like introducing a starving lion to a rabbit with no legs... The TW established dominance in short order:

Car Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
It's a decision we all must make......
We buy something that is a substantial investment .....
Do we
1, carefully protect it , admire it and lovingly care for it .....
Or
2, use it as needed to bring additional convenience and joy into our lives...
Picking up many bumps and bruises along the way.....

I have seen many 15 year old Harley Davidsons that look better then brand new...
Very low miles..... Never outside over night or been rained on....,
Always cared for ... Well maintained... But never enjoyed .....
Personally when I buy something it's to make my life easier or better .....
Not to become the objects servant.......

mike from NC

·
Registered
51 Posts
i had the UltimateMXHauler and didn't like using it with my TW200 one bit. even on a 2015 ford explorer, which is a relatively low vehicle, it sat too high at its lowest to get my TW on there without some really awkward lifting, levering, and brute forcing. also didn't think the platform dimensions were particularly appropriate for my TW with a ricochet skidplate on there, and the method to affix was clunky. and frankly, i was never comfortable with the idea that the entire weight of the bike was resting on a few frame bolts instead of distributed across the entire frame and carried by the suspension, i'm sure it is fine but didn't seem like something i should be doing on the regular. anyway, never felt comfortable with it for those reasons, and sold it to a fellow to use with his motocross bike, which is i think the appropriate application for that design, taller, narrower, and also the 'MX' in the product name is i suppose a clue.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I have heard complaints re the height usually it being too high but it looks like BigBlakes rig is low enough to make it work but I hear if it's to high it can be tricky getting the bike up onto the platform in fact the 2007 TW I got from the Fuso was high and he carried woods blocks and other gear to be able to load but his truck was a good sized overlander so he had extra cargo room

There certainly are hitch receiver adapters too so the height could be adjusted

To me it seems like leverage would work against the whole design and the foot peg tie (clamp) down never gave me a warm fuzzy feeling lol

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have heard complaints re the height usually it being too high but it looks like BigBlakes rig is low enough to make it work but I hear if it's to high it can be tricky getting the bike up onto the platform in fact the 2007 TW I got from the Fuso was high and he carried woods blocks and other gear to be able to load but his truck was a good sized overlander so he had extra cargo room

There certainly are hitch receiver adapters too so the height could be adjusted

To me it seems like leverage would work against the whole design and the foot peg tie (clamp) down never gave me a warm fuzzy feeling lol
You just need to park with the front end of your truck (Honda Element) on an incline. Mine is lifted three inches and still the platform is nearly scraping the ground when lowered IF I'm on a decent incline. MotoJack sells a lowered version, in any event. P

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had a Ultimate MX Motorcycle Hitch for 7-8 years and have hauled my TW's and other light bikes 1000's of miles. It came with a bolt (not a pin) to secure the coupler and help with rocking, actually a pin won't fit thru the internal nut and the bolt alone is really not good enough to trust without ratchet straps from bike to vehicle. My methods for securing bikes on it have evolved to the following:

• The foot peg clamps are good but only with stock foot pegs that the clamps can drop into (the aftermarket anodized aluminum foot pegs don't work for me)
  • My foot peg clamps don't have enough threads for the TW so I added a stack of washers over each wingnut so I can tighten the wingnuts.
  • I use one good quality ratchet strap to keep the bike secure and two if Its a long or rough trip
  • One from the handlebar down to the bumper/frame of my vehicle (not to the tie down loop on the carrier), this is necessary to hold the bike on the stand as well as keep the bike from rocking. I put the ratchet on the bumper/frame and pull the tail of the strap back to the front tire of the bike and tie it off tight.
  • One from the rear tire of bike to the bumper/frame of my vehicle (optional if its a short smooth ride)
  • I do not use the tie down loop on the carrier

I have used it on my lifted PU, I generally just back up to something like a curb/sidewalk if its to high but found two people can easily lift one tire of the bike to get it on/off.

I really like it and trust it, but have never used it with a vehicle that didn't have good points to tie the ratchet straps to.

·
Registered
23,057 Posts
Park with a lttle planning and one usually can tip the haul vehicle to lower load platform so TW can roll onto it with no lifting, struggling or cursing...curbs, ditches, humps can be driven onto, or dig holes for rear tires, and/or drive front of vehicle onto wood scraps or ramps.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Park with a lttle planning and one usually can tip the haul vehicle to lower load platform so TW can roll onto it with no lifting, struggling or cursing...curbs, ditches, humps can be driven onto, or dig holes for rear tires, and/or drive front of vehicle onto wood scraps or ramps.
I can verify the three aspects Fred mentions: Cursing; Lifting; and Struggling. But sometimes she goes on there like butter, smooth. Like most things, you get better with age and experience. P

·
Registered
1999 TW-200
216 Posts
My Promaster 3500 with the UltimateMXHauler puts the lowered deck just a tad higher than the skid plate. A little lifting to get the front on it, then I can slide it forward and position it to pin the footpegs. I have only taken one 900 mile trip and the bike never moved, nor did the bolts loosen up. I did check them each time I filled up.

Oh, and I only use one strap the keep the handle bars tucked in, I do not lock the steering.

·
Registered
2018 Tw, rickoshay, Shinko, tusk, on and on
475 Posts
I just recieved mine Blake that I ordered the end of last November. They were a pain to deal with. They kept telling me two weeks, then that they were moving there shop etc.
Still havent recieved the gas can carrier ordered at the same time.
But:
Think Iam going to love it. I have, and know two other guys that have hurt thier backs getting bikes up and down ramps. I orderd this one with the 21/2" lower option. On my jeep gladiator and chevy 2500 I can wheel/slide the bike right on to the platform. The bolts to footpeg set up works just fine in this case as you can see. But yes, I still use at least two ratchet straps for security, and probly more, the longer the trip or rocky the road.
Not a whole lot of time saving over a ramp, but enough to be worth it.
The little welded on nut/bolt thinghy that acts as a hitch tightener did come loose. I'll give it another try, with a double nut But have the feeling that it'll probly get ground off, and the much better ubolt style type will get used.
After seeing skipros versahauler in quartzsite, I might have gone that route. But already had this ordered. It is a slick set up as well, with a nice long ramp

21 - 33 of 33 Posts