TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this gem over the weekend. It had been about 20 years since it had seen any love but was covered and in a garage the whole time.

1989 with 1,800 miles. Everything's is in great condition. Gave it a once over with a new battery, spark plug, oil filter and oil change, carb clean/rebuild, petcock and and little love with some cleaner and boom!

$900 for the TW and $100 in parts. Not to bad for $1000 for a running driving bike!

Already been crushing the site for all the advise and info I can get.

Looking for advise on a new tail light turn signal set up. Have read some threads but still on the hunt.

Also has anyone used a trail tech computer to replace the factory panel and gauges?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Nice black widow!! Welcome, you're gonna love it here.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Nice find. Pro Cycle sells a taillight ass'y. I have one not installed. Kinda heavy, but cool looking.

·
Super Moderator
17,974 Posts
That's my favorite color combo!! Nice find. You better put new tires on it though...those original ones are now hardened and no good....just sayin...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tires are defiantly next in the list. I like the trials looking ones but I have not been able to source some yet. Any and all recommendation are welcomed!

Anyone use the trail tech gauge cluster?

·
Super Moderator
17,974 Posts
Stock rear and Shinko 241 on the front.;)

·
Registered
765 Posts
I love the 89!!!!!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Stock rear, kenda k270 on the front!!!! Can't go wrong. I love it! Just NEVER use stock on the front. Unless you don't want to ride it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is the recommended size? I am a fan of a little larger front tire to match the fat rear but you guys are the experts!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Honestly it will see more street that dirt but some of the "dual sport" tires look a little to slick off road. It will be a commuter bike most of the week. Opinions? Concerns?

·
Registered
20,196 Posts
Sorry, no trials type rear tires seem to be available for the TW. I like the look of my 5.10 trials style front tire, it complements the fat rear tire. However I am aware a narrower, lighter front tire would turn in easier and likely perform slightly better in some circumstances. Nice museum grade Black Widow, we should give you a concours award.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I am a fan of a little larger front tire to match the fat rear but you guys are the experts!!
Give a thought to the Kenda 270, but in a 120/80-18 size. I got that one several years back because it was the lightest tire of a similar size to the Death Wing. It turns in a bit sharper, but the main advantage for me was weight. It's not quite as stable as the 5.10 on loose gravel, but still loads better than the OEM. I'm still happy with this choice after 8,000 miles. YMMV. :cool:

The stock rear is generally considered to be a fine tire for 98% of us.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got a Shinko 241 in 4.00x18 from chaparralmotosport on Ebay this week. Took a whopping 18 hours after I ordered it for UPS to deliver it too my door.. Seems to be a good tire on road as I haven't had time to take it to the dirt..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info! I got lucky on the condition. It was essentially scratch free except when the previous owners moved it out of his garage after 20 years he dropped it and the clutch lever broke and the side plastics scratched. Other than that is is very clean!

I will check out those tires. I will see if I can get them locally for the same price as on line.

Sounds like for sure the stock rear is the ticket. Bridgestone is what it has front and rear right now. So I guess I will order the same for the rear and figure out what works for the front

·
Registered
587 Posts
Nice score, cant go wrong with that price, also check out the Shinko 244 for the front a lot of people run them and they are cheap. I run them as well and they work good. Also get a heavy duty tube for the front when installing, and new rim strips. Just incase :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well done on your new (old) ride! How did you find it?
It was a craigslist deal. He was asking way more but after he told me it was sitting and was out of the DMV and what was needed to get it back going he accepted my offer. It is up and running and one last DMV trip and it is complete!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
View attachment 23567
This is what the Procycle rear taillight assembly looks like installed. Also take note that my rear turn signal stocks have been shortened for added protection from the Cycleracks rear rack. I have noticed that I am less likely to snag my rear turn signals when I mount or dismount the bike without the rack on. There is a thread with instructions on how to shorten your turn signals if you like that idea.
I like the tail light, I will order one tonight and I like the shortened turn signals. I will search for that and most likely do that also! Cheaper that new ones!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts