TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am tired of people asking me how long have you been doing your job you look like an old timer and I say 30 years and get the ooh you are ready to retire and I say 2 years and then hear oh you are to young to retire you will flip out and not be happy with you life. well.

Reactions: Hoot Gibson

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
"RETIRE" already for heaven sakes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did at 62 and love it.. My wife and I travel and enjoy our bikes and camper ..... Life is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to short to work forever.. Good luck OMM.:cool:

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be 55 in 24 months and I will ride my TW into the sunset!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Retired at 53 from County as Environmental Health Director....12 years now, never looked back thinking "I could have had a bit better retirement funds"...screw that! I've had a great 12 year run, doing what I enjoy...if I had stayed until I was 62 or until now, at 65, who knows how my mind and health would be....I say to anybody, if you can afford it, "Do It, you are not going to die rich, your kids or the Government will get it anyway"

Have no Regrets, just live your life on your terms.:cool:

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Retired back in 99 when I was 49 and have never once felt like I made a poor decision. I had to get out after 27 years just to preserve my sanity. Having a good pension was the key to being able to do it and it does help that my wife loves to work, maybe just to get the hell away from me:p

Sure I could have stayed and earned a larger monthly payment but for what? Every year I worked after reaching retirement age I was working for half pay. Seemed like a No Brainer if I can stay home and get half then going to work every day means you are just working for the other half. The benefits of not going to work every day are compounded when you figure all the money you save by not running a vehicle into the ground every 3-4 years or paying for the fuel and upkeep on it. My new truck is now 4 years old and just turned 20,000 miles. I would have had that in a year if I was traveling to and from work daily. Do the math on that expense buying fuel and tires and oil changes and then buying a new vehicle every 3-4 years and the savings add up quick.

What hurts most about being retired is I have no idea how I had time for living while I was working full time and over time. I don't have time now to get half the stuff I want to do done.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
GaryL;. I don't have time now to get half the stuff I want to do done. GaryL[/QUOTE said:
Ain't it the Truth.....:confused:

Reactions: ZDR1 and troll

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I hope to retire early "55-60" but I have my doubts about the economy down the road plus by the time I get there I will have to be 105 to draw the money I put into social security. What a scam. Until then I will keep throwing it in the 401k and hope for the best.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Reactions: ZDR1

·
Registered
231 Posts
Retired back in 99 when I was 49 and have never once felt like I made a poor decision. I had to get out after 27 years just to preserve my sanity

Sorry Holmes
I felt the same way buy 13 years at/in San Quentin Was a guard sometimes , other times felt like am inmate!:rolleyes:
Got out at 53
100 miles aday 500 aweek 26,000 ayear 2 hours aday 10 aweeh 40 a month driving to and from work A Whole week a month just driving Had to smell the Roses Of course before that job it was all roses . Everybody wanted to be me , or so they thought . The job took away my hero status .

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Retired back in 99 when I was 49 and have never once felt like I made a poor decision. I had to get out after 27 years just to preserve my sanity

Sorry Holmes
I felt the same way buy 13 years at/in San Quentin Was a guard sometimes , other times felt like am inmate!:rolleyes:
Got out at 53
100 miles aday 500 aweek 26,000 ayear 2 hours aday 10 aweeh 40 a month driving to and from work A Whole week a month just driving Had to smell the Roses Of course before that job it was all roses . Everybody wanted to be me , or so they thought . The job took away my hero status .
We are Homies to a degree! I did my 27 years in the NY Prison system. Early on I was the WTO but took the promo to Sgt. Refused the promo to Lt. more times than I can count because I made lots more dragging mutts all over the state in the transportation unit. 25 years and out was my game plan and I bought back my military time for a total of 27.2. Never once missed that God forsaken job but I do enjoy my pension and the new found $$ from SS. I did all of your above for far too many years and when I got to the jail I hopped on a bus with 40 dirt-bags and a couple of great COs for 12-14 hours per day. Mine is not a good shoulder for you to cry on but I sure do know where you were.

GaryL

·
Registered
231 Posts
Holmes as in Sherlock Holmes

I was a floater I the cesspool of life . vacation relief . did all the jobs . not the big bus though . did check your guns at the door thing on the back gate and bus inspection at the sallyport . I was only 205 back then . Think you had to be at least 300 and look like Gonzilla to be a transport guy . Did like the Black Jumpsuits though . Thanks for the info
BTW I did make transport . School bus relief driver now . 26 buses , know all the back country, around here I am a legal trespasser .

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
"Think you had to be at least 300 and look like Gonzilla to be a transport guy"! We never had those rules but I could shoot the eyes out of a snake from far away and still can but I never got that opportunity! Just got re-qualified for HR 218 last week and shot a 298 out of 300 at 62. Here is a tip from your uncle Gar, don't volunteer to hold my target.:D

School bus relief driver----- The punks would need relief from me!

GaryL

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I retire in approx. 109 day's.....I'll be 49.......25 years in service .
good job. I will set up a trust for my three grand kids.

·
Registered
231 Posts
HR 218 last week and shot a 298 out of 300 at 62. Here is a tip from your uncle Gar, don't volunteer to hold my target.

I think I would hold your target . You would hit the target and not me .. GOOD shooter U R

1 - 20 of 26 Posts