TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Called by various 4x4 groups "The Ladder", this portion of a slickrock trail system features about a 40 foot drop over a hundred feet or so. Scouting too late in the day to drop in I returned to camp so as to have all night to pschyc myself out. Next morning it all worked but sure enough I just couldn't commit to a strong right switchback when a high side bobble seemed disastrous. Took a forum group there once and no one wanted to try ascending from the bottom, it is more than a little steep.
Anyways point is we can sometimes keep momentum going and soldier on. Other times too much time contemplating the downside can sap confidence and ability. "Pick your line and go for it" can be easier said than done.:rolleyes:

Basically by failing to commit and initiate turn to the right at 1:25 I overshot and ran out of room, confidence and stalled. Getting going again was just inefficient compared to the original "go for it" plan.

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
We did have fun even if we didn't climb The Ladder back to camp. The by-pass featured a sweet stream crossing that was better than struggling up an escarpment.

This was the end of an all day 80 mile ride so a little sloth was understandable. We slept well. So ride with friends, they can pick you bike up when you fall. Many thanks to Bananachunks, evan & Boarder255 for an exceptional mini-group ride.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I like "The Ladder".
Very cool.

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Area also has some nice twisty 28 percent grade switchbacks for you pavement pounding types. I seek enlightenment through repetition since I have a dirt background. Not bad place for practice!

Note: None of the footpeg scrapes came from Betty. While place sees some spirited riding by serious bikes in the summer I think many scrapes are from cruisers having their Come to Jesus moments.

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Left side jaw level mount on a wedge mount so Contour 2+ camera points straight ahead and slightly up for most of this. Another helmet had camera underneath visor at forehead level. both recorded @ 30 fps 720p.

Sometimes hand held too when off bike enjoying my destination. Neat feature is lens rotates 180 degrees so I camera mounts upside down to facilitate operating controls, seeing visual prompts and somewhat masking flow noise.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Fred! The high country will be sweet this year with all the snow pack! Lots of water flowing! Can’t wait to get out and ride it together. I’m down for some slick rock bouncy “easy” trail riding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
316 Posts
Is this trail in MOAB ??? I love it.

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Those videos all taken high in the central sierras near one mountain pass.

Another great riding area is where Boarder255 & I last met two passes to the north on my way home from TW-Brian's last wench-n-ride. Never did find out if he located granite those slickrock trails to small rockbound lakes above Fordyce seen around 4:45 to 6:00 in video. IF NOT WE SHOULD RETURN. :D

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So I may not be one of the better riders but the TW sure can take me to some of the better places you really can't drive to .... pond.jpg lola montez .jpg

...places like here which haven't seen a 4-wheeler in many a year:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts