TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In twenty three month's I will be retiring and my Dad's side of the Family wants my to take over and buy my Uncle's Vacation Cabins in northern Maine, he past away a few years back and his widow wants to sale.
Now living in the desert my whole life this sure would be a big change but I could ride the snow sled trails in the summer on the TW. Welcome to Portage Lakeside Cabins - your vacation destination in Maine If I did buy this I would hire someone to run it as I would be Retired.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And I wrote this in the Guests comments around 1998. September - Paul and Trevor (from Arizona): I will never forget the cool breeze! My son Trevor had fun starting fires in the stove and fire pit, and beer tastes better up here. Seeing my Uncle Coon's cabins for the first time. I would like to forget nothing. Had a great time. Talking about Beer again I see a Pattern!

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
Looks like a nice place. If we weren't 3000 miles away we would visit. Love small cabins on a lake.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a nice place. If we weren't 3000 miles away we would visit. Love small cabins on a lake.
If I do it I will get some Quads and TW'S and do summer ATV trips the trails are already in place.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a large family that live in the area this is a picture of this past 4th of July. 1044583_10200769268946148_1356757184_n.jpg the one thing missing was me.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
We are leaving here this Friday and going straight to Maine. We love the northern part of the state and will be right there where your Uncles cabins are.

This is a tough part of the country to make a living in. You have an extremely short window of opportunity during the summer months and winters can be quite severe. Most cabins we find up there are not winterized or suited for the real cold months. It is Gods country though and drop dead gorgeous this time of year.

If we get a chance I will do some research while there and maybe spend a night or two at the cabins because we never make reservations and always end up where ever we are at night. Sucks to be us but being on a road trip vacation and having a set schedule and destination sucks worse. No TWs or boats this trip, just me, the wife and our Brittany.

Will report from there or when we get back. Please put in a good word to your relatives that we, Gary and MaryJo L. might be needing a cabin for a couple days between the 19-25 next week. We got married in Bar Harbor back in July of 93 and go back to Maine almost every year for our anniversary on the 23rd. 21 years and still in love.

GaryL

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'd take the cold Maine woods anytime compared to the heat of the Arizona Desert, but I wonder about the success of hiring a manager to run the place. You'll stil, have many of the problems of ownership and most of the income may go to the manager. On the otherhand, this has been in the family and you can check the history P&L etc....and then there's the &%$! bugs.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I'd take the cold Maine woods anytime compared to the heat of the Arizona Desert, but In wonder about the success of hiring a manager to run the place. You'll stil, have many of the problems of ownership and most of the income may go to the manager. On the otherhand, this has been iu the family and you can check the history P&L etc....and then there's the &%$! bugs.
I am with you but only half way! Living here in the NY mountains is not all that much different in the winter except that winter starts much earlier up in northern Maine and last a good month or more longer.
Given a choice my wife would move to Maine in a heartbeat but I and my tired bones would want to be much further south in Jan., Feb. and March. You could never get either of us to AZ or FL as a permanent residence, 4 seasons are a must but not when the worst one lasts so long as in northern Maine. I have to say this though, you could not find a prettier place to visit in mid July than Northern Maine and the fact that many of the roads are privately owned by the lumber companies adds to the unspoiled beauty. We go back almost every summer to North Woods Maine and have never had a bad time yet just cruising down the hundreds of miles of rural and gravel roads going to nowhere in particular. Stop along the coast on our way home for some fresh Lobster and we hate seeing Maine in our rear view mirror. Maine also honors most out of state pistol permits and a nicer bunch of down home folks will be hard to find in this country. We hop across the top of Vermont and NH and enter Maine from the west just below Quebec and then head further north until we reach the Realty road to go east across the entire state.

GaryL

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gary that would be great if you could stay a night or two it might be to rustic for the wife, but if you have Facebook she has a page to check it out more and during the week no one will be around she works in Presque at the University of Maine quiet time. and if you are around on Sunday and our Catholic you will be invited to church in Ashland .I will see if my Uncle Ray will be around to give you a boat ride around the lake and show you the Bald Eagles.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Facebook page is, Portage Lakeside Cabins.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Gary that would be great if you could stay a night or two it might be to rustic for the wife, but if you have Facebook she has a page to check it out more and during the week no one will be around she works in Presque at the University of Maine quiet time. and if you are around on Sunday and our Catholic you will be invited to church in Ashland .I will see if my Uncle Ray will be around to give you a boat ride around the lake and show you the Bald Eagles.
Definitely not too rustic for the wife! I just can't be accurate enough as to when we will get there to make a reservation. Went on the Web site, the Robins Nest would suit us fine. I will fish all the way across far north Maine woods stopping any time I see a nice stream or pond. We will reach Maine, Jackman and Rangely on Sat. evening and then take the backest roads we can find across the entire north woods over to Ashland and up to Portage Lake. We don't do rush, have no plans and will sleep in the SUV if we must. We have 9 days and avoid all metro areas at all costs. Heading home is peddle to the metal. No face book here and I won't be going to church while in Gods country unless they are putting on a feed! Bald Eagles are super common right here with 6 nesting pairs within 3 miles. I love fishing for Brook trout and the wife loves sight seeing, Moose and relaxing away from work and home.

I dropped a PM to you.

GaryL

·
Registered
20,467 Posts
Looks very nice from Google Earth and their website. I would stay there, rates are reasonable.
Whether you would be satisfied spiritually or financially is beyond us. Certainly your family looks darn nice and numerous and thus potentially helpful. however I fear most sole proprietors of small businesses become chained down to the business with little time off. Trustworthy managers might hurt the cash flow unless you expand business with the ATVs and TWs . Rent them or offer guided tours?Then maybe you could sneak off and guide some big paying rides;)

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks very nice from Google Earth and their website. I would stay there, rates are reasonable.
Whether you would be satisfied spiritually or financially is beyond us. Certainly your family looks darn nice and numerous and thus potentially helpful. however I fear most sole proprietors of small businesses become chained down to the business with little time off. Trustworthy managers might hurt the cash flow unless you expand business with the ATVs and TWs . Rent them or offer guided tours?Then maybe you could sneak off and guide some big paying rides;)
Like I said I am thinking about it but I have my eye on a cabin that is for sale so I can at least Summer there to get out of the heat.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gary it looks like you are set. This was last summer the photo was from the porch of the Birds nest and you will park your truck where I parked my Rental Camaro SS the kids loved it. 971993_10200661798659458_840876788_n.jpg 1002431_10200661789379226_1116146849_n.jpg 934939_10200674016084886_1433436624_n.jpg and my Uncle Ray's place down cottage road.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gary I found the drift wood photo I put it in the birds nest cabin looks like 2000. 1014605_10200673755558373_1674319670_o.jpg 1011888_10200688333402810_213594780_n.jpg and me giving the kids rides in the Camaro SS Happy Kids.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Thanks a big bunch Paul. Laura, is she your Aunt?, has been in touch and all is set for when ever we get there.

Growing up, my grand parents had a nice lakeside rustic cabin. We call it a bungalow here. No indoor bathroom, just an out house and a hand dug well with a lever pump we had to prime to get water from. Some of my best childhood memories come from that bungalow. Too bad one of my uncles was not the sharpest tool. He cut down a big tree close by and dropped it right on the bungalow one hunting season and destroyed the entire place. Don't we all have at least one brilliant uncle?

I will post a few pics after our trip, kind of an Off Topic ride report. The only draw back to north woods Maine is No TWs allowed. Thousands of miles of private, hard gravel roads that are perfect for them but the logging companies say no to bikes and MCs. It's a good thing I don't live there because I would be a renegade rider, catch me if you can!

GaryL

Reactions: Fred

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks a big bunch Paul. Laura, is she your Aunt?, has been in touch and all is set for when ever we get there.

Growing up, my grand parents had a nice lakeside rustic cabin. We call it a bungalow here. No indoor bathroom, just an out house and a hand dug well with a lever pump we had to prime to get water from. Some of my best childhood memories come from that bungalow. Too bad one of my uncles was not the sharpest tool. He cut down a big tree close by and dropped it right on the bungalow one hunting season and destroyed the entire place. Don't we all have at least one brilliant uncle?

I will post a few pics after our trip, kind of an Off Topic ride report. The only draw back to north woods Maine is No TWs allowed. Thousands of miles of private, hard gravel roads that are perfect for them but the logging companies say no to bikes and MCs. It's a good thing I don't live there because I would be a renegade rider, catch me if you can!

GaryL
ATV Trails. http://www.visitaroostook.com/resource/aroostook/pdf/maps/ATVmap.pdf

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Notice how the entire western section of the north state is completely barren of roads and trails! Almost all of the entire northern third of the state is privately owned by the lumber/paper companies. They made the roads and maintain them for the big trucks to haul the vast logs and they do allow car, truck and SUV travel, for a small fee, but never any ATVs, bicycles or MCs on any of their roads. The roads are hard packed gravel and super wide, 40-50 feet to allow passage of lumber trucks that can be 10-12 feet wide and 80-100 feet long. You can see the maps if you go to Northmainewoods.org. If you love viewing wildlife in deep forests this is the place to go. Where ever streams cross the road you can usually find some of the worlds best brook trout fishing. You could see a forest ranger or company scout but never a cop. The one rule they do enforce big time is to never impede the big trucks in any way. Move over when they come and your windshield is not their problem. Some of these massive trucks barrel along at 70 MPH loaded real high with 60-80 foot logs. On a hot and dry summer day you have to wait 5 minutes after a truck blows by you for the dust to settle. This is Moose country and the woods right off the roads are thick as can be. Moose can be 5 feet off the side behind trees and brush and you can't see them. A head net is a great idea because biting flies will tear you up and they don't care about bug spray or deet.

GaryL

Reactions: ZDR1 and Fred

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
My relatives have worked for the saw mills for many years driving the log trucks Coon was a Maintenance tech at the saw mills he kept the log trucks and trailer and tree cutting machines working, he slip in mud and slid under a fully loaded trailer and it went over his chest the soft mud saved his life but he had a pace maker put in and lived a few years.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Gary hope you don’t mind I have asked for my Uncle Don Laveway to make a local Fishing map for you, he is 96 years young lived all 96 in Ashland and was a Trapper he sold Beaver pelts Fox and other skins and a big Fisherman he will know every mud puddle in the area. He also worked for Mountain Bell for 40 plus years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts