1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
You had to make it real, huh, Fred? :p

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I didn't/couldn't eat too much on Christmas. I felt really bad because my wife made my #1 favorite meal, a standing rib roast (Prime Rib) with 4 bones and all the fixings and she cooked it to perfection. I sat down with one slice of the rib on a platter rather than a plate because it was that large. Think I made it through close to half of the slab I started with and I was stuffed full. She asked, "Don't you like it?".

In my younger days I would have been going back for seconds on this fine meal but older now and I just don't have the appetite like I used to. I see this with Pizza too. 3-4 slices from a large pie was the norm but now I end up eating 2 and then having 6 slices left over for lunches during the week. It is a good thing we have a Food Saver Sealer gadget and I was able to seal a meal X 4 and freeze most of the prime rib for later meals.

We had a great Christmas here because it was very quiet with mine and her family all out with their extended families, kids and grand kids and families on all sides so we stayed at home and did not have to run anywhere. I actually got in a glorious 30 minute nap right after dinner and before we cleaned up the kitchen.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
5,129 Posts
It’s actually (for a change) been the first “quiet” Christmas around here too – we stayed tight, and cooked the full monty – with all the trimmings

In previous years, we’ve gone out, visited friends etc – but this is perhaps the first year we’ve kept it all “In house” ….

I even manged two sprouts (my quota for the year)

One more happy memory to tuck away ……

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually ate responsibly, just started the post to share some Rolling Wild videos.

I had planned to over-eat at a friend's big Christmas Eve party but a last minute death in the hostess's family cancelled everything including appetites. So we ended up giving away a lot of the traditional dishes my Lovely Wife had prepared that otherwise would have ended up on my waistline. Instead we had a quite time of introspection and appreciation of what we have and the underlying spirit of the holidays.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
It was actually a real treat staying home both on the eve and the day. We have no children and just brothers and sisters with grown children now. As they are all married and having children of their own plus each couple now has their own two families to run to we are finally catching a brake. Every day is Christmas for us and we get what ever we want and can afford when we want it. No exchanging of gifts between the wife and I and gift cards for the kids sure does make things easy. I absolutely hated and dreaded driving 100 miles to family on the eve and then on Christmas day going in some other direction and an even longer trip. We had Manheim Steamroller on the stereo, a nice fire in the stove and just hung out in our sweats all day long. Excellent holiday IMO. We have the same planned for this weekend but I have never been a celebrator on New Years eve because it is Ammatures night on the highways.

GaryL

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the boating season approaching maybe we should start dieting. maxresdefault.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts