TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2022 TW200
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grew up in the woods in Alabama. When I was 10yo my dad put me on a Honda 200cc street bike, he pointed out the clutch, he pointed out the hand brake, and he said, "Go"... I took off and drove a big circle around the yard. When I got back to my dad, I released the gas, squeezed the clutch and the brake, and the bike slowly fell over on the grass because my feet didn't reach the ground.

Over the next few years I grew taller and when I was 16yo I started driving my dad's Honda 800cc bike around on the country roads.

I enjoyed riding that bike, but I never got proficient or really comfortable on it. I never drove it in town. I wasn't even strong enough to pick it up the one time that I dropped it in the driveway of a friend's house.

I'm 39yo now and I haven't ridden a motorcycle in 21 years.

Yesterday, I bought a brand new TW200 and brought it home, eager to drive it up and down the half mile driveway to my home in NC, where I live now.

I admit that I was a little nervous. Would I remember the shift pattern? Would I choke it down in 1st gear? Would I hit a pothole and end up laying in a ditch? Nope, nope, and nope!

It was, "just like riding a bike"... No problems. No accidents, and I had a huge grin the whole time. I didn't even get over 20mph. I didn't need to...

One at the time, I took my wife and both daughters for rides up and down the driveway.

Now, I'm sitting at work and all I can think about is hurrying home to ride my new bike up and down the gravel roads near my house.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Hell yea brother! You're going to have an absolute blast on that thing! Just be extremely cautious of cars on the road and ride with the mindset that all of them are constantly out to get you and expect them to do anything possible to kill you in all situations LOL (I laugh, but seriously...) -- like pulling out in front of you from a driveway at the last possible second.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
If you are going to ride much on streets, there is a book you should get: Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate... book by David L. Hough (thriftbooks.com)

It isn't enough to think that all cars and truck are going to try to kill you.....you need to know what to DO about it! I too had not ridden in 35 years and this book and it's companions became my bible. Best $6 bucks you could ever spend. If you don't ride on streets, there are many other books on dirt riding.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you are going to ride much on streets, there is a book you should get: Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate... book by David L. Hough (thriftbooks.com)

It isn't enough to think that all cars and truck are going to try to kill you.....you need to know what to DO about it! I too had not ridden in 35 years and this book and it's companions became my bible. Best $6 bucks you could ever spend. If you don't ride on streets, there are many other books on dirt riding.
I grew up in the woods in Alabama. When I was 10yo my dad put me on a Honda 200cc street bike, he pointed out the clutch, he pointed out the hand brake, and he said, "Go"... I took off and drove a big circle around the yard. When I got back to my dad, I released the gas, squeezed the clutch and the brake, and the bike slowly fell over on the grass because my feet didn't reach the ground.

Over the next few years I grew taller and when I was 16yo I started driving my dad's Honda 800cc bike around on the country roads.

I enjoyed riding that bike, but I never got proficient or really comfortable on it. I never drove it in town. I wasn't even strong enough to pick it up the one time that I dropped it in the driveway of a friend's house.

I'm 39yo now and I haven't ridden a motorcycle in 21 years.

Yesterday, I bought a brand new TW200 and brought it home, eager to drive it up and down the half mile driveway to my home in NC, where I live now.

I admit that I was a little nervous. Would I remember the shift pattern? Would I choke it down in 1st gear? Would I hit a pothole and end up laying in a ditch? Nope, nope, and nope!

It was, "just like riding a bike"... No problems. No accidents, and I had a huge grin the whole time. I didn't even get over 20mph. I didn't need to...

One at the time, I took my wife and both daughters for rides up and down the driveway.

Now, I'm sitting at work and all I can think about is hurrying home to ride my new bike up and down the gravel roads near my house.

View attachment 219030
Congratulations brother!

Yes , Hough's book is excellent!.
And keep those 3 sweet girls at home in the back of your mind when riding...

·
Registered
2022 TW200
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats and welcome to the club. And beware of the mod bug, if it hasn't already bitten..
I already picked up a Tusk rack, and I've ordered 2" Rox risers, IMS pegs, and IMS shifter.

I want the tall cycle concepts seat, but I'm hesitant to order because of the long delay from order to shipment. Also, I'm not excited about stapling the cover and foam onto the seat. I wish I could just find one, already done, for sale locally.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I already picked up a Tusk rack, and I've ordered 2" Rox risers, IMS pegs, and IMS shifter.

I want the tall cycle concepts seat, but I'm hesitant to order because of the long delay from order to shipment. Also, I'm not excited about stapling the cover and foam onto the seat. I wish I could just find one, already done, for sale locally.
I had good luck with an upholstery guy doing it one time, although at this point, I'd probably just do it myself.

·
Registered
23,587 Posts
Buy the right stapler ( like a forward shooting POWERSHOT) and the Seat Concepts cover is not a difficult installation.
Automotive exterior Font Auto part Rectangle Plastic

Or most any upholstery shop should be able to do the stapling for you. A quick 15 minute job but you face possible placement at end of line of previous customers. If lucky you might find idle hands due to supply deficiencies for materials for those ahead in the queue. Perhaps go just before lunch and wave cash.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha TW200
49 Posts
That is great Alabamacoastie, welcome friend! I still can't go a whole week with out riding my TW. Every time I get home I just stare it. And when I can't ride it I clean it, check things over. This bike is the ultimate smiles per mile machine.

·
Registered
2022 TW200
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats! Beautiful. You'll love it. I love mine. Just trying to put miles on it for break in.
I'm having a hard time putting miles on mine... After buying the bike and helmet I learned that I need a motorcycle specific license for NC. I made an appointment at the DMV, but they are booked out all the way through November. So, legally, I have to wait 6 weeks to take the motorcycle driving exam before I can drive it on the country roads around my home. There is a 2 mile long gravel road that my neighbors live on. I'm pretty sure they are tired of watching me and my young daughters running up and down their 2 mile long driveway over and over again.

I've had it a week and I've only got 30 miles on it. 15 trips down that same gravel road, at 20mph, is getting old quick. But, my kids love riding on the back with me, and that is a huge plus. I have been thanking God for giving us such a fun way to spend time together. Just me and my girls. One of the neighbors, on that gravel road, has a horse so we take carrots with us on each ride...

Making memories!

·
Registered
23,587 Posts
Perhaps ride illegally but conservatively as far as traffic laws go and I doubt anyone would stop and question you prior to the November motorcycle endorsement appointment.
Thirty miles might be low enough that there is still enough cross hatching on the cylinder walls to properly hone the rings for a good fit and maximum compression. This usually takes a variety of engine speeds including high rpms despite what Yamaha's legal department advises. You don't want to milk-toast treat the bike initially or risk never achieving the optimum potential performance the 2022 can deliver.

·
Registered
2022 TW200
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Perhaps ride illegally but conservatively as far as traffic laws go and I doubt anyone would stop and question you prior to the November motorcycle endorsement appointment.
Thirty miles might be low enough that there is still enough cross hatching on the cylinder walls to properly hone the rings for a good fit and maximum compression. This usually takes a variety of engine speeds including high rpms despite what Yamaha's legal department advises. You don't want to milk-toast treat the bike initially or risk never achieving the optimum potential performance the 2022 can deliver.
I'm really glad you told me this... So, you're saying, if you were me, you'd go out on the main road and go a few miles at 55mph... For break in purposes.

Any specific distance I should go, on the road, during this early break in period? Or, I should go 55mph for a couple of miles each day along with my 20mph putt putt down the neighbor's gravel road?

·
Registered
239 Posts
++++++++++ and,++++++++++ !

Also, after a few miles, include a few full throttle 2nd gear pulls to near WFO, then snap the throttle closed, leaving clutch engaged, let 'er coast down to nearly stopped.
This will help seal the rings, quickly & well.
Never/ever lug the engine in any gear, ever, ever, ever!

Dayam, but I love new motorcycles!
And old ones.
And gold ones.
And fast ones.
But no slow ones.

·
Registered
23,587 Posts
Yes, go have fun and follow Darth's good advice. Manual's simplistic break in instructions seem geared to avoiding overheating engine and possible warrantee claims. I would advise lots of variety, not steady state droning. Try not to overheat by changing things up and taking breaks now and then to get off and admire your new treasure.
Stay in a nice medium engine heat range.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts