TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2022 TW200
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
See if there is a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Rider Safety course near you. The most common places for them to hold their courses are at community colleges, but it varies. In many states, completing the course will give you the license when you take the certificate into the DMV. I very highly recommend it. You'll learn little things to watch for on the road and it is well worth the money as it could end up saving your life. I've lost count of how many people I've had to react to that did not see me when pulling out or coming up on me at an intersection. Always be mindful of any vehicle's blind spot. People are always looking for something big in their mirrors and even when they turn their head quick when changing lanes. That is a beautiful T-Dub! Be safe!
I checked online yesterday afternoon. I'm going to sign up for a 3 day class in November. After completing the class I'll get a certificate to take to the DMV and it waives the motorcycle driving portion of the test... But I'll still have to take the written test. No biggie. I could easily pass both. But, I agree with you. I will learn a lot from the class and I'm looking forward to taking it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm having a hard time putting miles on mine... After buying the bike and helmet I learned that I need a motorcycle specific license for NC. I made an appointment at the DMV, but they are booked out all the way through November. So, legally, I have to wait 6 weeks to take the motorcycle driving exam before I can drive it on the country roads around my home. There is a 2 mile long gravel road that my neighbors live on. I'm pretty sure they are tired of watching me and my young daughters running up and down their 2 mile long driveway over and over again.

I've had it a week and I've only got 30 miles on it. 15 trips down that same gravel road, at 20mph, is getting old quick. But, my kids love riding on the back with me, and that is a huge plus. I have been thanking God for giving us such a fun way to spend time together. Just me and my girls. One of the neighbors, on that gravel road, has a horse so we take carrots with us on each ride...

Making memories!
I am in NC as well and made an appointment about an hour and a half from me but only a few days out. Keep checking because cancellations happen all the time. Are you doing just the permit test or are you signed up for the road skills test as well? I decided to just get my permit through the DMV and am taking an MSF course later this month. Can take the road skills test at the end of that course and it counts for the full license endorsement.

Congrats on the TW and good luck getting in soon!

·
Registered
2022 TW200
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Today was a good TW day! I installed IMS pegs, IMS gear shifter, and Rox 2" Risers... I love the pegs. They are so much better than the tiny factory pegs. I can't tell any difference from the new shifter, but it's longer and beefier.

I didn't think the risers would make a difference, but they do! And the difference is huge! It felt like a different bike having my hands a little higher and the mirrors are in a slightly better position.

I didn't ride on the road today. I just took my daughters for a ride on the dirt road after dinner.

Today was a good day!

·
Registered
2022 TW200
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I am in NC as well and made an appointment about an hour and a half from me but only a few days out. Keep checking because cancellations happen all the time. Are you doing just the permit test or are you signed up for the road skills test as well? I decided to just get my permit through the DMV and am taking an MSF course later this month. Can take the road skills test at the end of that course and it counts for the full license endorsement.

Congrats on the TW and good luck getting in soon!
Good points!

I'm scheduled to take the written test on Dec 5th. I'm planning to take the safety class in November. Then, I can walk in on the 5th, with the certificate, take the written test, and walk out with the full motorcycle license.

Does NC force us to take a boaters exam as well? If so, I'll plan to take that test on the 5th, too. Never know when I might get bit by the boat bug next...

·
Registered
2022 TW200
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I just got home from another long road ride. I drove about 35 miles, pulled into a little family owned country gas station, walked inside, and I said, "I'd like 1 gallon of gas, please!"

Haha! I never thought I'd say that in my whole life...

I put 1 gallon into the tank, and I drove back home.

Good times...

·
Registered
2022 TW200
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Today was a great day! I just got home from the first day of my NC Motorcycle Safety Class at the local community college.

Tomorrow, when I pass the written test and skills test I'll get a certificate to take to the DMV to claim my NC Motorcycle License.

I've really enjoyed my new TW and I've put 400 miles on it over the last month (illegally). But, today's class was still a big confidence builder. They told us several things, and we practiced them, that I didn't know before.

Today was a good day! It was definitely worth the money.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Congratulations on the new Tdub, and welcome to the ranks!
As far as safety is concerned, I follow a basic rule: Half the motorists are out to get you, you're invisible to the other half, and there's no way to tell which is which. To borrow/paraphrase a saying I learned in the Navy,
"Motorcycling in and of itself is not inherently dangerous, but it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect".
I also agree that it is very therapeutic. In fact, there are groups helping veterans suffering from PTSD by getting them involved in motorcycling. I believe they refer to it as "wind therapy".
I'm glad to hear you took the MSF course. Keep in mind they have more advanced courses for when you get a few more miles under your belt. There are many riders who take the Experienced Rider Course every Spring to clear the cobwebs out after being inactive all winter.
As far as the pushback you've been receiving from your better half, let her know that the courses are to keep you safe on the road, and that you take them out of love for your family so you will be around for them for a very long time. This also applies to the gear you wear when riding. The more gear you have, the better the gear you have, the safer the gear you have, the more you show how much you love them and care about them.
One last thought. Perhaps you might consider taking the basic course again, but taking it together. It could help her understand why you enjoy it so much, and would be a way to enjoy some quality time together. You could help prep her for the course, considering the TW200 is one of the best motorcycles for learning how to ride. Let her know that she doesn't have to take up riding, it's just for fun and the experience. Still, you never know. You might even wind up with a riding partner! (Only downside to this is you might have to spend some bucks to buy another TW. Hmmm, actually I'm thinking that wouldn't be a downside at all! Disregard that last comment!) You could do the same with your kids when they are old enough if they want to. (Hmmm, might mean buying even more TWs!).
Anyway, enjoy your new bike, and all the wonderful adventures and experiences you have coming your way! 👍

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Bike for the wife. Several years back I bought one for her so we could enjoy some back country riding. Around home I got her so she could let the clutch out with out doing a wheel stand or killing it. We have some very rural blacktop to ride on as I didn't want her on gravel or dirt for a time so she could feel a bit more comfortable. Paid the money, sent her to a course. Wasn't long and she was back lol. They helped her unload, realized she wasn't coordinated enough to work a gumball machine and sent her packing. She never got on it again.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Oh well, it was a thought. Kudos to your wife for at least giving it a try! To sort of quote Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry, "A man (or woman) has got to know their limitations". True for accomplished riders too!
(My late wife was the same way. The whole family used to ride dirt bikes in her brothers' backyard. As she always put it when someone would ask if she rode, "I tried twice, I crashed twice. Now I'm very happy riding on the back").

·
Registered
2022 TW200
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
It's been a while since I wrote on this thread.

I just wanted to let everyone know that my last year on a TW200 has been fantastic. It's only made me want more.

Today, I bought an almost new 2021 Tenere 700 with only 85 miles on it.

I just went for my first ride and felt completely amazed. It's like a TW on steroids!

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
2012 TW200, 1988 DT50, 2002 ZRX1200
135 Posts
Nice! How’s the seat height compared to the TW?

Check out Swanky Cat on YouTube. He’s got a TW and a T7. He’s got some nice riding and modification videos.

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
755 Posts
Aww man, an absolutely perfect pair!

Not sure it gets much better than that. Enjoy.

Reactions: Alabamacoastie

·
Registered
2022 TW200
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Nice! How’s the seat height compared to the TW?

Check out Swanky Cat on YouTube. He’s got a TW and a T7. He’s got some nice riding and modification videos.
I have the tall Seat Concepts seat on my TW.

I'm 6 feet tall with 32 inch inseam. When I sit on my TW, I'm flat footed with both feet. When I sit on my T7, I can only reach the ground with the balls of both feet, so the T7 does feel a bit taller. I really notice it if I need to walk the bike backwards a few feet.

I might put a shorter seat on the T7 so I can get my heels closer to the ground.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Is it just me, or do more Yamaha customers tend to end up as repeat customers compared to other brands? The only exception being KTM guys...? (they all just refuse to even consider anything else? ahahah)

I am not a brand loyalist; I really break things down and make categories of comparison and such whenever I buy a vehicle. Interestingly enough, when doing that with motorcycles, I guess I somehow "always" land on Yamaha LOL. Out of the six motorcycles I've owned over the years, three have been Yamahas. Out of the four brand new bikes I've owned, three have been Yamahas... LOL. That hasn't been "by design", but rather simply because Yamaha has tended to have the best product within the category / market niche that I've been shopping when making new-bike purchases: reliability, value for money, technology, power, handling, simplicity and focus/purposefulness, etc. Yamaha knows what's good!

Welcome to the multi-Yamaha club :)

The T7, in my book, replaced the V-Strom 650 as the #1-choice ADV bike. I might still take the V-Strom if I planned to use it for at least 95% street (which was kind of always the case with it, anyway; I just am not the type who would really want to ride off road on any sort of "traditional" Adventure bike). With the T7, I'd be fairly comfortable taking that ratio as far as about 80/20 street/dirt. Great choice!

Reactions: Alabamacoastie

·
Registered
2022 TW200
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I rode my T7 to work today. 35 miles each way... About 20 miles at 60mph highway and 15 miles at 70mph expressway... It was a fun ride!

I'm sitting in my cubicle right now, excitedly waiting for the ride home!

·
Registered
2012 TW200, 1988 DT50, 2002 ZRX1200
135 Posts
I rode my T7 to work today. 35 miles each way... About 20 miles at 60mph highway and 15 miles at 70mph expressway... It was a fun ride!

I'm sitting in my cubicle right now, excitedly waiting for the ride home!
Nice to hear. I’ve been looking at the T7 a little more closely lately. I really like the power and ride of my ZRX 1200, but the sitting position is pretty uncomfortable compared to the TW. It’s also very heavy. It seems like the T7 would be a great all-around bike, with enough power to get out on the highway and do a trip, without a lot of extra weight. Seems like it does OK in mild off road conditions also. Unfortunately they’re pretty hard to get a hold of these days, just like a TW.

Reactions: kj7687
41 - 60 of 60 Posts