TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was skeptical when a buddy of mine told me that he could distinguish a good battery (flashlight style, not motorcycle style) from a dead one by whether it bounces or not, but it really does seem to work.

Take a known good battery and drop it on end from about a half an inch onto a hard surface, it will land with a dull thud. Do the same thing with dead battery and it will bounce a few times. Try it, it works.

If you get the batteries mixed up, remember: Thud = Good, Bounce = Bad.

IMG_1205.jpg

·
Super Moderator
17,963 Posts
That's funny Kurt that you got such a thrill about this... :D

It does work most of the time.

The guys will find it interesting...

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
You have no idea how excited I was to find these at Walmart for less than five bucks. Retro styling to be sure, but more importantly a morse signal button. Never see that anymore. Lovely. Do you have any idea how cool and satisfying it is to send a message across a dark field at night and have it be understood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900AZ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Oh, I don't need retro to like a flashlight. My little gem is a Surefire Aviator. I went ahead and ordered one of those OXYLED. Price is excellent. However I really can't see that they have the momentary on signal button. Which is pretty much necessary for dits and dahs.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It has several modes of brightness, a strobe function and an SOS function. Unfortunately, you kind have to scroll through all of them and can't just flash it on and off at will for morse code. That is the one thing I don't like about it.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts

·
Registered
20,184 Posts
Do the scouts still teach Morse Code for practical applications? Recent New Jersey black bear attack on a scout leader had his scouts cell-phone 911 and offer to build a signal fire to guide in medical help. That was both practical and efective but would any morse code broadcast have been received or understood by anyone?
I would just wave a paw over flashlight lens to generate dot and dash characters like the Navy's shuttered signal lights. Helps to have a pretty girl do the shuttering though. img_0563.jpg

·
Registered
814 Posts
This pic is for Borneo.
xt11.jpg
Klean Kanteen 64 oz. 18/8 stainless and thermos is 20 oz.
Pelican saberlite 2000 submersible and
Eveready 2 aa cell converted to hold 3 123 batteries and a 5 cell kripton bulb
The pocket knife was given to me by a friend that retired from Estwing. I have heaard there were only 5000 of them made.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
No Fred, code is no longer in the Handbook. No morse, no semaphore, no wig wag. I can do them all, but I'm old. I don't know of any scouts that can...nor leaders. Heck, code is no longer required for amateur radio licenses either, at least not up to tech class...I'm not sure beyond that.

·
Super Moderator
17,963 Posts
No Fred, code is no longer in the Handbook. No morse, no semaphore, no wig wag. I can do them all, but I'm old. I don't know of any scouts that can...nor leaders. Heck, code is no longer required for armature radio licenses either, at least not up to tech class...I'm not sure beyond that.
That's a shame.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Well, there's my "learn something new everyday" lesson. Thanks Brian!

·
Registered
746 Posts
That's a shame.
A shame, indeed. And no, Morse is no longer required for any amateur radio license class. Most of them don't understand radio theory either; they just rote-memorized enough to pass the exam.
Don't get me wrong; there are some hams who take it seriously: who still use Morse code, or rebuild and use old tube equipment, or even build their own equipment.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts