TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I crashed my bike! Well, it was a long time ago. This was part of my post-Moab 2016 trip in Utah. I wasn't able to edit and post this video during the trip, so it was forgotten...until today. I start out on hole-in-the-rock road after visiting Devil's Garden, then run Cottonwood Canyon Road near Kodachrome Basin State Park. Grosvenor Arch is a fantastic attraction here, and the canyon road is spectacular. I wipe out while heading back north to Kodachrome. For the full write-up, pics, etc. see it on my blog: https://leisuretimelarry.wordpress.com/category/travel/utah/

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
It's so interesting you posting this video. Earlier this morning I was doing some route recon of Moab and saw this video in the "suggested video's to watch". I didn't pay attention to the publish date but of course, I was attracted to the title!

Anyway, I'm glad you came out of te incident relatively unscathed. Interesting to note, just a short time before you had mentioned something about the ruts and then you found some rougher ones. Hope Christmas and winter has been treating you as well as can be. Don't know about you, but I've got the TW DT's! :p

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Geez...glad you rode away OK after the crash. Unbelievable the people in the SUV didn't even check if you were alright.

That is a beautiful area you were riding.....we rode through there in April 2015....

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Your crash gave me flashbacks of my first crash unfortunately when my ankle was trapped it broke. As I watched you collecting yourself after the crash I remembered how nerves I felt. Glad to see you weren't hurt.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I can't believe the folks in the vehicle didn't notice you went down.... although some people may not look in their rearview.

Larry, I know I am going to sound like a mom but here goes.... you should always have a riding partner in remote areas like that, what if ..... okay that's it, you know all the what-ifs and, you are a grown man so you can do as you like.

But seriously.....shout out to the forum and take a riding partner to share all that beautiful scenery and add a little peace of mind in case something ever happens that you would need help.:D

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I say we blame that one on the SUV forcing you off-line and cross grain to the ruts.
Wonder if driver ever saw the difficulty you had?
Thanks, Fred. I was hating them for a few days, but it was just circumstance. That's why I'm like, "Of all the places!" in the video, because about anywhere but that corner which had the nasty ruts, it would probably not have happened. Hooray for good gear!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to hear from you Larry!
Glad you were OK and able to self-extricate from under rack & TW.
I've had the misfortune to do a half roll before the bike lands on me thus pinning me face down.
I can't let Fred post all of the videos on here, can I?! :D

Oh man, that would suck being pinned face down. Maybe add some extra drama to the story with "there was a big puddle!". Ha-ha.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's so interesting you posting this video. Earlier this morning I was doing some route recon of Moab and saw this video in the "suggested video's to watch". I didn't pay attention to the publish date but of course, I was attracted to the title!

Anyway, I'm glad you came out of te incident relatively unscathed. Interesting to note, just a short time before you had mentioned something about the ruts and then you found some rougher ones. Hope Christmas and winter has been treating you as well as can be. Don't know about you, but I've got the TW DT's! :p
Cool! Thanks for watchin'. Yeah, it was not a big deal. My gear kept me from injury. I'm glad you caught the rut reference, I left it in the edit since I found it ironic as well.

Yeah, going through the old footage has gotten me all hot and bothered to go ride in Utah again... let alone ride at all!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your crash gave me flashbacks of my first crash unfortunately when my ankle was trapped it broke. As I watched you collecting yourself after the crash I remembered how nerves I felt. Glad to see you weren't hurt.
Yeah, it could have been worse, but I'm glad my gear worked to prevent injury. Thanks for watching.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't believe the folks in the vehicle didn't notice you went down.... although some people may not look in their rearview.

Larry, I know I am going to sound like a mom but here goes.... you should always have a riding partner in remote areas like that, what if ..... okay that's it, you know all the what-ifs and, you are a grown man so you can do as you like.

But seriously.....shout out to the forum and take a riding partner to share all that beautiful scenery and add a little peace of mind in case something ever happens that you would need help.:D
Hi Mom, I mean Dette. :p I hear you, and I do appreciate your concern, but I'm going to defend myself a little...

If you watch my stuff, then you know that I rarely ride alone.
Next, I did throw out my post-Moab 2016 plans including an invitation to all in this thread: http://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-off-road-adventure-riding/18018-after-moab.html
Knowing I was going to be alone, I maximized gear, including a personal locator beacon, and minimized the riding difficulty level...while still wanting to see some of the most beautiful places on the planet. I actually talked about this quite a bit during my first Utah solo ride in this video:

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Yeah, going through the old footage has gotten me all hot and bothered to go ride in Utah again... let alone ride at all!

I know right! I've had the Charles Wells guidebooks, NatGeo & Lat40 maps out all week. And been watching a ton of videos which is how I originally caught your new video! Feels like I'm planning the "Invasion of Moab" TW200 operation! :p

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know right! I've had the Charles Wells guidebooks, NatGeo & Lat40 maps out all week. And been watching a ton of videos which is how I originally caught your new video! Feels like I'm planning the "Invasion of Moab" TW200 operation! :p
That's cool! I thought you guys were "probably not going to Moab this year because of how much vacation it takes, ...all the other rides, blah-blah"? :p Seems like the wind is changing, eh? We should chat. I was considering not going this year as well, especially if the Sand Hollow Navy was to be absent. Now Sidekick Chad and Kevin want to go, so we'll see.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
The lure of riding TWs through Moab's slick rock and desert terrain is hard to ignore. I hear the siren sound of petrified sand dunes beaconing me again. The easy camaraderie around a campfire after a glorious day's ride with like minded riders is priceless.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Owee. Yeah you were kinda doomed after mentioning hitting one wrong. Glad you were ok. Wanna share your list of places you were going to?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Those vertical ruts - sand, loose dirt and steep sloped edges are tricky at times.

Where I will ride (and during the wet times of the year, local natives will ride there trucks in the same kind of terrain against better judgement to create amazing deep ruts.) I will find them in abundance.

I have a super knobby Kenda Track Master front tire and a Duro Power Grip in the rear and no matter what, the bike WANTS to lay down depending on speed, inclination and handling at the time. The rear is no problem - the front is always the issue. Thankfully I have the T65 sprocket which limits my speed. Sometimes I think that the rubber of the Kenda front is too soft and needs to be harder. Spoke to a motorcross rider and said that I needed a harder rubber front for a more firm grip, but, not sure. Plowing over bushes and other obstacles are not a problem, its those damn ruts.

SW

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 24 Posts