TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
... and in fairness... VROD riders (they can pass anything but a gas station.)

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Any asswipe who is dumb enough to go after my gallon and a half is welcome to it and a .40 S&W.

GaryL

·
Registered
141 Posts
Personally cannot live without a locking gas cap. Other than it being stolen (which has happened to me personally with my H-D back in Ireland); back in the day, before cars had them, my mother had someone put sugar in her tank more than once. Another time, someone I knew had their gas tank filled with Diesel. Seriously... obviously a pissed off frenemy or ex or something.... Finally, one friend I have actually heard banging inside his tank...someone had actually thrown several rocks inside it.

Stupid but nevertheless true stories. I always feel uneasy if I don't have one as a result. :black_eyed:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Disabled the locking gas cap today. Turned the cap over, removed two screws and the steel cup, lifted out the locking pawls and springs, replaced the cup and screws.

Why a motorcycle needs a locking gas cap is beyond me.
Or alternatively ,

Remove the gas cap, and take out the key.

The two "fingers" will be locked in the retracted position.,

Put gas cap back on.

If you ever need to lock it, use the key.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Absolutely cannot remove the key when the cap is unlocked on my 2006.

That is why I removed the locking pawls.

Have been unable to lock my house since 1975 after I lost the keys so I'm not too worried about securing a gallon of ethanol fuel.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
My key is locked in the tumbler unless the cap is locked also!

this is a very simple fix. If you don't feel a need to lock your cap just remove the two screws and under the cup is the locking pawl, take it out and replace the screws. Done, my 1991 does not have any springs to remove and just one locking pawl to remove, no more key is needed. Very simple to put it right back in if you find a need. While you have the underside of your cap opened this would be a good time to clean out any rust and maybe oil the spring with some two cycle oil or some sort of grease that will not dissolve in the fuel. The cup under the cap is under some spring tension so hold it down while removing the screws, no rocket science and no tiny parts will fly.

GaryL

·
Registered
149 Posts
Absolutely cannot remove the key when the cap is unlocked on my 2006.
I have an 09.
Started to do your remove-pawls mod. (Thanks by the way)
Needed to lay the cap on the workbench to take out the screws, but the key was in the way.
So I took the key out!
Said to myself, WTH?

Maybe they changed cap locks in later years?

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Inside the key tumbler is one that locks the key in when the lock is in the open state. Your key could be worn or that lock in the tumbler could be worn or stuck. If you unlock and remove the gas cap and then turn it back to the locked position while the cap is off the key comes right out so you can work on it on the bench. One who is adapt at working on locks could easily remove the tumbler mechanism and remove the key lock device so the key can be removed locked or not.

GaryL

·
Registered
258 Posts
There's no way I'd ever disable a locking cap. Too many idiots who like to fool with other peoples bikes in our city and one float bowl of fuel would get see me stuck in a busy intersection when the crap they've put it in gets into the carb. I bought a locking cap for my H-D the day I picked it up. When they allow CCW in Singapore I'll change them to unlocked.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts