TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the recent rain & melting snow now frozen over, my driveway has turned into an ice rink. So I got the bright idea to ride the TW to the mailbox.

What could go wrong?

Parts of the road are frozen and look like standing water. This could be a sign!

Bright idea #2 - The Christmas Trail. To avoid slipping on the ice, I'll just hop over the bank and ride our Christmas time bypass route!

The sun is setting and I take in the view as I sit during one of my frequent breaks to catch my breath!

make the decision not to repeat riding "The Christmas Trail". I'll zip back home on the road.

Is it me or did it get darker on my ride back. Yeah, I ride really slow the rest of the way home.

'till next time, back on 2 wheels!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Admiral, I found with that frozen sugar snow if you can get the bike into second gear it will lift the same way as if you are riding on the sand dunes.
I am assuming you had the Ceros tire on the back. If it is a stock tire, then there is not enough tread to lift you. The duro works great in it.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Looked like a soft landing. I did something like that last year after a lot of snow, then a partial melt and then went when there was new snow on top. I went about 3 blocks, 6 in total with the trip back and it took everything I had to not dump the bike on the ice. I got stuck numerous times, had to have my feet both out like outriggers and was sweating buckets by the time I wrestled it home into the garage!! This year? Forget it!! :D

·
Registered
368 Posts
Looked like a soft landing. I did something like that last year after a lot of snow, then a partial melt and then went when there was new snow on top. I went about 3 blocks in total and it took everything I had to not dump the bike on the ice. I got stuck numerous times, had to have my feet both out like outriggers and was sweating buckets by the time I wrestled it home into the garage!! This year? Forget it!! :D
now that's a video i'd like to see..... ;)

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
... and i have high school students that have never seen the snow.

wanna send some?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Admiral - I like the "quick trip" mentality. I hope you have better roads for your four wheeled transportation. :cool:

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Admiral, I found with that frozen sugar snow if you can get the bike into second gear it will lift the same way as if you are riding on the sand dunes.
I am assuming you had the Ceros tire on the back. If it is a stock tire, then there is not enough tread to lift you. The duro works great in it.
Had the Ceros on a couple weeks ago and it dug and spun like this. Basically, it's too deep to ride off the plowed roads so put the stock tire on in order to put the tire chains on. Tire chains won't fit the Ceros in the swingarm. Front tire on packed snow and ice is the weak point but I've known that hence the ski trials. studs would have helped on the return trip for sure.

I hadn't thought about starting out in second, and if I could have and gotten up to speed that would have solved it. But alas, I hope not to repeat the failed feat!:p

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looked like a soft landing. I did something like that last year after a lot of snow, then a partial melt and then went when there was new snow on top. I went about 3 blocks, 6 in total with the trip back and it took everything I had to not dump the bike on the ice. I got stuck numerous times, had to have my feet both out like outriggers and was sweating buckets by the time I wrestled it home into the garage!! This year? Forget it!! :D
Not a soft landing. Snowbanks are harder than the rest of the snow and add in the ice layer on top from the rain...it was crunchy.

Thinking of what Silverwing said about old and not riding in snow more and more!:D

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
... and i have high school students that have never seen the snow.

wanna send some?
I could send some in one of those thick Omaha Steaks styrofoam containers they send their meats in. I'll repurpose the container and sub snow in place of the steaks! Probably not the best idea is it?

My sister is a 6th-grade:p teacher. When things get slow she shows the class some of my video's. Minnesota kids may see plenty of snow, mountains not so much! Of course, both snow and mountains are better experienced in person over watching videos of them eh!

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Admiral - I like the "quick trip" mentality. I hope you have better roads for your four wheeled transportation. :cool:
Took a drive in the jeep yesterday up my New Meadows. Logging operation had some of the Forest Service roads open (they were plowed). As we were riding along I was thinking these plowed FS roads would be fun on the TW. Mrs. Admiral looked at me crazy and said she would ride in a heated side-by-side but not the TW. She is a bit more of a fair weather rider!:D

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It would have helped if you didn't have water in your gas in the video. About the third time it died you should have taken the hint and gone back to the garage and corrected that.
Yeah, what do I know!

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stick some snow skis on and keep your feet down. Outriggers as suggested above. I think you need a snow mobile. You could put a TW engine in it.
As far as my bright idea's go...:p

I got two of these skis from an old snowmobile. My original bright idea was for outriggers as you mention. Then I got another bright idea to slap one on the front tire (see below). Not a bright idea. Going back to the original bright idea of outriggers (i.e. admiral training wheels). :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts