TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my Genuine Lizrdbrth oil cooler today! Man is this thing nice. I pestered him in to selling me a Cali kit and I made up my own mount. I'm a function over form kind of guy, so my mount wouldn't please every one.

I'm about as happy as one man can be. Thanks Russ, I appreciate the work you've put in to make us a cooler, and my motor thanks you too

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's absolutely the best thing I've done for, and to my TDub. I plan to ride this bike for a long time, the cooler will help make that happen.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
right on r80rt!

you've been talking about this addition for a long time, congrats on finally getting it!

i got mine a couple of months ago, and finally got around to putting it on, a great addition.

three CHEERS for señor LIZRDBRTH for all his work making it happen!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I've had a couple of questions on my install, so I'll try to tell how I made the mount. First I got a 1 1/2" muffler clamp, the U bolt that came with it was to short so it wasn't used. I went to a hardware store and got a U bolt that was long enough to work. I painted the U bolt and bottom half of the muffler clamp to match the frame, I used Rustoleum Metallic silver paint, it's very close to the frame color. Then a thin strip of rubber between the mount and the cooler for a cushion. It's bolted up with stainless steel washers and nylon lock nuts. Here is a look at how it worked out, it's a solid mount and clears everything. Roughly $7 invested and about 30 minutes to do. I hope this helps, but I'd still advise waiting on the 49 state kit,

When Lizrdbrth perfects his 49 state mount I'll be first in line to get one, I'm sure it'll be light years ahead of this

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
r80rt....is there a particular size notation to the U-bolt you used....as in to define the distance between the the two threaded parts so it would fit around the frame tube?. TIA

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The U bolt 1 1/2" between the threaded ends, it's slightly larger than the frame tube but it bolted up tight. It should be at least 3 1/2" over all length, I got it a little longer and cut it to fit. This is a collection of things that doesn't really go together, you will need to file one of holes in the muffler clamp a little wider, and bend the U bolt a little narrower. You will see what needs to be done to make it work when you gather up the parts. When you get your lizrd cooler, measure the hole spacing on it and work from there, do NOT modify the cooler! Like everything else I do, minor fitting is required

Honestly I would advise waiting on Lizard's 49 state kit.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I'd like to explain that R80RT has been a big supporter of this project since the very beginning. I promised him a mount in time for his planned T.A.T. trip and when I ran into some issues with the new mount I sent him a Cali version in order to save his trip. This solution is fine, but understand that I'm attempting to be "in the buisiness". That means that I need to provide a mount which will fit all bikes, not require that some poor customer grind Yamaha's sloppy welds from his frame or even mar his paint, as well as clearing all the possible tank and fender combinations. The Cali mount makes it possible for even the mechanically challenged to install the cooler and be riding again in an hour, and I need to make that equally true of the 49-state kits.

This is NOT the 49-state unit. The final units will come with their own mounting system which will duplicate the level of security, support and invulnerabilty offered by the Cali kits. I've encountered some minor frame differences and sloppy welding on Yamaha's part. Once a clean mount can be offered which is equal in fit and finish to the rest of the kit I'll put it out there.

Here is a pic of a recent install on ElBuro's unbelievably clean '06 ( Not only that, it's his daily driver and probably the best running stock-motored TW I have ever ridden. Really sorted carb. Thank you, sir!), which should help illustrate the difference in the Cali frames.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For the record, when you have perfected your 49 state mount, I WANT ONE! And thanks, my TAT trip may be back on soon.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Most things that have anything to do with a vehicle in Kalfornica are not cool. But here is one.

And a money shot, 'cause you know you want one!!

Thank you again for your hard work Russ!
m.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts