292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just hopped onto interstate 77
Exit to exit 2.3 miles
Wide open throttle the whole time..
63 MPH max speed by GPS..
From what I have been reading the last year or so
That makes me one of the slower ones..
Maybe I need to go into the carb after all...
She may be slow but I still like her.
What is your top speed... GPS not dream meter
Mike from NC

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
63 gps is good since most of us go by the speedo and they say it is incorrect. I have passed cars doing 65 mph on mine on the freeway so it runs pretty good.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Depending on what section of 77 you were on, I think you were speeding anyway. Lol

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
63 gps is good since most of us go by the speedo and they say it is incorrect. I have passed cars doing 65 mph on mine on the freeway so it runs pretty good.
Maybe mine will do a little better when I get another forty five thousand miles on her like yours
(. I. Hope. )

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Depending on what section of 77 you were on, I think you were speeding anyway. Lol
Being the law abiding T-duber I am I was in a 65 MPH zone. 😉
Trying my best to break the law..,......LOL

·
Registered
748 Posts
I take it you finally got your tag in the mail.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I always see people asking how fast the TW can go. I guess I'm lucky because where I live (Vancouver Island) the fastest speed limits are about 90 KPH - 55 MPH. I find the little TW has no problem going on the highways here. If I ever leave the island on my TW, though, I will have to put some consideration into what roads I take...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Gearing and windscreen can get you another 5 - 7mph. Be surprised how much more rideable a TW is when you ain't functioning as a parachute!

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I take it you finally got your tag in the mail.
Nope just said the heck with it..
I'm getting older..
The good riding season is getting shorter.,
TIME TO RIDE

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gearing and windscreen can get you another 5 - 7mph. Be surprised how much more rideable a TW is when you ain't functioning as a parachute!

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
I guess it time to try the JIMBO shield

·
Registered
13,898 Posts
I guess it time to try the JIMBO shield
I have to say I was actually very impressed at well the Jimbo Shield deflects the wind. I started using one of my wife's broken Jimbo shields just this year (used some kind of emergency type tape to hold it together). The cowling covers up the broken area. Resisted for many years to use one thinking I didn't need it for trail riding. Well, you don't really need it for trail riding but what the hey, why not put it on. I've not had it interfere when trail riding so "on" it stays.
It's not all wind/bug protective like one of those big Battle Star Galactica motorcycles such as a Wing/Harley/BMW windshield but it does deflect enough wind to take the pressure off your chest when going 50-60 mph. Like I said, I was surprised and impressed.

Of course, I had to paint it to match Scoob's colors. Besides, pink doesn't match the rest of Scoob.

·
Super Moderator
5,424 Posts
Correctly optimised for the road – Bridgestone 203/204 combo running at 24 psi, X ring chain (it does make a minute difference), Jimbo screen – 70mph flat out downhill with the wind behind it. At that speed with the standard gearing, the engine is doing 9000rpm, and the bike simply has nothing more to give

With knobbly tires, no screen, standard chain etc, and 16psi, standard gearing, I’d expect around the 65 mph mark on the same stretch of road. At that point, the drag from the tires and the wind resistance combine to defeat the available power at those kind of revs – besides which, you are pushing the envelope for a tank slapper with this set-up

So – you are not far of the mark. The rest comes down to body weight. Anything (with gear) over 180lbs, you are going to see a difference

Then you have the CV over the slide, and the pre-disc models often came with a 49 tooth rear sprocket, rather than 50 tooth version of the more recent ones – it all adds up ……

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just hopped onto interstate 77
Exit to exit 2.3 miles
Wide open throttle the whole time..
From what I have been reading the last year or so
That makes me one of the slower ones..
Maybe I need to go into the carb after all...
She may be slow but I still like her.
What is your top speed... GPS not dream meter
Mike from NC
Were you using an app on your phone for gps or an actual gps device? I’ve heard you can use google maps but I can’t figure out how to get the real time speed to come up

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Were you using an app on your phone for gps or an actual gps device? I’ve heard you can use google maps but I can’t figure out how to get the real time speed to come up
TWnoob
I was using the Garmin gps out of my car.....
Mike from NC

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Correctly optimised for the road – Bridgestone 203/204 combo running at 24 psi, X ring chain (it does make a minute difference), Jimbo screen – 70mph flat out downhill with the wind behind it. At that speed with the standard gearing, the engine is doing 9000rpm, and the bike simply has nothing more to give

With knobbly tires, no screen, standard chain etc, and 16psi, standard gearing, I’d expect around the 65 mph mark on the same stretch of road. At that point, the drag from the tires and the wind resistance combine to defeat the available power at those kind of revs – besides which, you are pushing the envelope for a tank slapper with this set-up

So – you are not far of the mark. The rest comes down to body weight. Anything (with gear) over 180lbs, you are going to see a difference

Then you have the CV over the slide, and the pre-disc models often came with a 49 tooth rear sprocket, rather than 50 tooth version of the more recent ones – it all adds up ……
I am right at 180# with gear
Still running stock tires. 19 PSI....( Waiting to finish the trailer wheel conversion before I change all 3 at once )
I have added about 20 pounds to the bike
Running 15/50 gearing at this time
Factory chain
Trailer and contents. 86 pounds 19 psi in tire..

Maybe a Jimbo shield will help me pick up the 2 mph I seem to be missing?
I would hate to go into the carb. She runs good .. the plug looks good and I have never had to touch the choke.
She starts first kick......
Mike from NC

·
Registered
61 Posts
My 2016 is totally stock. Never tried to get it to a top speed. I do run it at 50-55 on occasion but, typically don’t go over 50. The engine seems happiest, to my ear, at 40-45 which is where I normally keep it on the street. This is a bike that shines at SLOW speeds off paved roads. I wouldn’t worry about the extra 2mph. I have a sport bike for serious street riding.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts