TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was enjoying a coffee at a Tim Horton after my 100 miles morning ride when I spotted what seemed to be a young punk snooping around my bike in the parking lot. I quickly left everything on the table and headed outside, preparing myself for a "gettheheckoffmybike" kind of talk with that suspicious guy. Getting closer to him I had a big surprise as I saw an old man bending on the TW, pointing parts and addons, taking two steps away, one step closer, going to the left, then to the right, and the left again.

When he noticed I was there he asked me if it was my motorcycle. I said yes it is, how my I help you. At that very moment began an half hour conversation that made my day. He told me he saw the TW and it brought back strong memories to him so he had to have a closer look at it. This old man (he is 68) was a motorcycle mechanic in his younger days. He had dozens of bikes in his life and the TW was the one he loved the most. He shared many stories with me that I could relate to things I've been reading here. One of these was about the rear tire. He warned me about it, saying that when it slips, you better know what you are doing cause when it grabs back, it a hard thing to handle (remember he was a veteran MX racer). I instantly thought about what happened to Icpchad.

I wish I could tell you here everything we said, but it would take a couple hours to write it down.

One last thing that might interest you is that he rode is TW until the engine blew off at 80 000 kilometres (still on the stock rings/piston/cylinder). According to him, the secret is the oil he used, Yamalube, changed regularly. If the engine have the oil it needs, you can ride it WOT all day long and have no worries. That's his saying.

After a warm handshake I got back to my table. The coffee was now cold as ice, just like my bagel, and the crowd in the restaurant had all changed. It didn't bothered me at all, that old man had already made my day.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
68 isn't that old.

x2

(that's only 26 years away for me... my dad's age, and he and i still ride together.)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not want to insult anyone saying he is old a 68. You'll agree that you don't see to many bears riding dual sports motorcycle at such an age! ;-) I gueas I should I've said a "venerable" instead of "old".

And for yamalube, it's a personnal choice, of course.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I did not want to insult anyone saying he is old a 68. You'll agree that you don't see to many bears riding dual sports motorcycle at such an age! ;-) I gueas I should I've said a "venerable" instead of "old".

And for yamalube, it's a personnal choice, of course.

Great story, my dad did not ever ride a bike until he was about 66, then he got some Suzuki 300 or something, not sure what. He's gone now although my family has the curse of longevity.

I bought my first V-Max when I was about 55... known to wheelie, power-shift, etc. I remember shopping for one and seeing ads that said things like "I'm turning 35, I can't handle bikes like this any more". Well I'm going on 64 and if I find another V-Max good deal near me I'll be tempted...

I take more risks now than when I was younger (at 17 lost my license for a year for doing 70 on the sidewalk), although not as stupid I suppose.

The age numbers themselves aren't what counts, one of my bros says "you are only as old as the woman you feel"... I guess that makes me 40.

Nothing you said is offensive to me... young people are about all I hang with, and you have a disadvantage... older folks know what it is like to be "young" but younger people don't have a clue what it's like to be "older".

Ride as long as you get something out of it...

Thanks again though for the story.

·
Registered
443 Posts
"When I get older losing my hair ..."

I am a geezer at 64. You larva should look to us as an example I have no idea why anyone

would think that your too old to push a button.

Having white hair and wrinkles does get you out of some tickets though

·
Registered
99 Posts
"When I get older losing my hair ..."

I am a geezer at 64. You larva should look to us as an example I have no idea why anyone

would think that your too old to push a button.

Having white hair and wrinkles does get you out of some tickets though

Ha,

I'm 64 too. It seems like there are a lot of us over 60 in this forum. Thinking about the comment of when the TW loses traction and then grabs again is making me appreciate the heavier front end.

Dan

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I guess at 56 I'm just a youngster, but I have learned that if you have your health, age is a state of mind. You can be as young as you want. I'm thinking the majority of members of this forum are a testament to that. Thanks, Guitarman for sharing your story.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
I did not want to insult anyone saying he is old a 68.

I wasn't insulted! I too used to think 68 was old but since I will be 64 for only another 2 months 68 is looking pretty good. And all the other things the mid 60's guys have said about being mid 60's I have to agree. If you are healthy it is easy to keep charging forward.

BTW, I really enjoyed reading your report. Well done!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
good story, thanks for sharing it with us.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
pushing 62 here... My wife and I feel better on the dubs now than we did in our first few years of riding them... Still have very little luck with deep sand. OMM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm 68 and just bought my 2007 TW200 last year. Ride it almost everyday, requiring a 5 mile decent from 1800' to sea level on a gravel road just to get to the public highway.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm 68 and just bought my 2007 TW200 last year. Ride it almost everyday, requiring a 5 mile decent from 1800' to sea level on a gravel road just to get to the public highway.

We all should be so lucky! The older I get, the older "OLD" is. At 56, I mentally feel the same as I was in my 20s, I just wish my body felt the same! I haven't had a cycle since I was in college over 30yrs ago, but always kept my MC indorsement hoping I would use it again someday. Well the time has come with my TW200, I have been fixing it up the way I want it more than riding it, but hope that changes soon.

·
Registered
13,788 Posts
Nice story Guitarman. Really gets a person thinking and dreaming. Thanks for posting it.

p.s. I now know what a Tim Horton's is. Saw my first one in Whitehorse, YT couple weeks ago. Never heard of it before that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
There really isn't anything special about Yamalube. Cool story though!

My TW is 25 years old and I've only used Yamalube in it. doesn't burn oil, still original rings and has never been apart... I've also ridden it pretty hard too... It has never been babied...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts