TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I don’t shut the gas off it will leak a steady drip from somewhere on the carburetor or around it. It has only 1443 miles and I don’t know where the leak is coming from. any ideas?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Clean or replace carb float valve.
Then good idea to change your oil.
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
As Doc mentions, you're float could be stuck, or some kind of debris in the needle valve area or a bad float needle valve all together.

Another strong contender for the leaking carb is the o-ring around the needle valve seat (see photo below) could be deteriorated. This happened to my 2005 TW. Another sign was my carb would flood as too much fuel was entering the entire carb not just the float bowl. Mine was leaking out two hoses not just the float bowl drain hose. To get to the needle valve seat, you need to remove the float, float needle valve and then the seat hold down screw. The needle valve seat is held down by the screw.

Word of caution; the float pin is a one way out and one way back in.

Here is some more innards photos.

The photos above are courtesy of jbfla and are not mine.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
On the very bottom of one of the float pin post you will see a tiny arrow pointing the direction for removal. After you replace and get the new parts into the clean carb it is always a standard practice to shut the petcock lever to the off position when ever you park the bike. Even a clean and new float needle valve can stick and leak your entire fuel tank all over your garage floor.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
And also want to add that won’t idle when first started but idles too high when I’m done riding, thanks I greatly appreciate it
Not wanting to idle could be mixture scew not opened from factory lean setting to about 2 1/2 turns out from gentle seat.

Idle high could be from vacuum leak around carb inlet to intake. Is boot in good condition? If you remove carb, moisten the boot before gently reinserting.

Reactions: admiral and elime

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Another awesome thread that could be a sticky. I would add when you remove the float pin be very careful not to break the arms where the pins go through try to support and tap carefully with a punch smaller than the hole. Some have drilled the holes slightly bigger so the pin slips out easily. The pin won’t fall out with the bowl on but I would not want the hole too big as slop may affect the float adjustment.

Reactions: admiral and elime

·
Registered
49 Posts
As mentioned above, be sure to check your oil for fuel in there. You can normally smell fuel if you sniff at the oil cap. If there is too much fuel in the oil, it can cause poor idle at different temps, and can also burn out bearings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts