TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The excerpt below, taken from Honda's web site, claims that "...there aren't any" bikes that compare to the 2001 Gold Wing 1800. "In terms of power, the [2001] Gold Wing is literally in a class of one."

If they had said torque, well, maybe. But in terms of horsepower, no way...

Enter 2001 Suzuki Hayabusa: 172 horsepower. FIFTY FOUR horsepower MORE than the Gold Wing of the same year; and there are plenty of others! Even Honda's own measly little 600 almost matched the Gold Wing's power figure... I don't like bogus claims.

"2001

GL1800 GOLD WING
The word “new” cannot do justice to the GL1800. Two numbers alone tell a big story: 118 bhp and 125 lb./ft. of torque. Don’t try to find other bikes that compare, because there aren’t any. In terms of power, the new Gold Wing is literally in a class of one. Likewise, the list of long-legged mounts offering a box-section aluminum frame begins with the word “Gold” and ends with “Wing.” And that’s only the beginning. Before the GL1800 was completed, Honda would patent no less than 20 technological innovations that were incorporated into this amazing high-performance luxury motorcycle." - http://powersports.honda.com/experience/articles/090111c081534f52.aspx

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Completely different class of bikes. Reading between the lines helps in this instance. No Honda fanboy either.

Tom

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
Give em hell JK! Too many false marketing claims make me distrust and ignore most adds.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If they had said, "in terms of power among modern touring bikes", or something, then that would have been fine, too. Or at least better. I like Honda but "little things" like this bug me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wouldn't get my blood pressure up over such claims in such contexts. There are too many lies in advertising to get worked up about. For example: has Coca Cola or McDonald's ever said anything truthful in any of their advertisements? To do so would be suicide: "Contributing to tooth decay, type 2 diabetes and childhood obesity for over 50 years!" This is just a media release for a bloated land yacht, aimed at a target audience of boring old men who enjoy going in straight lines for hundreds of miles in a row. Do you really think the average Goldwing owner really even cares how much power those things have (other than to bring up such facts in interminable conversations)? Obviously, if what you wanted was the most power in a cruiser you'd go ridiculous and buy a Boss Hoss (or build something like that--an old friend of mine did, just to a.) be obnoxious and b.) show off his fabricating skill set.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I wasn't really upset by this, just a little annoyed.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Wow! I had no idea there was so much animus towards the Goldwing and its riders!

Yeah, in terms of horsepower it's easily beat by plenty of touring bikes (like mine :)), but that is some crazy big torque, which is probably more useful anyway for Goldwing-style riding.

I've actually always really liked the wing, I may well wind up with one someday.

To each his own!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should probably delete this or something lol. I think what I meant is being misunderstood - understandably so on account of what I actually WROTE and all... I've got nothing against the Goldwing, and certainly nothing against Honda. Their word choice in that particular instance just bugged me because it is at worst blatantly untrue, and at best misleading.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts