TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is in my garage with 3 miles on the odometer. I bought the extended warranty so am not sure what I can get away with.
Larger footpegs look like a no-brainer. A rack sounds nice. A tach would be awesome. I would kill for more horsepower or a lower first gear. Both would be better.
What mods do you consider "Must Have"?

·
Registered
976 Posts
It is in my garage with 3 miles on the odometer. I bought the extended warranty so am not sure what I can get away with.
Larger footpegs look like a no-brainer. A rack sounds nice. A tach would be awesome. I would kill for more horsepower or a lower first gear. Both would be better.
If you want more horsepower, you bought the wrong bike! :) The TW is legendarily mighty, just not mighty fast! A higher tooth count on the rear sprocket will get you more torque for the rough stuff, but at the expense of top speed.

DMO footpegs are, indeed, a no-brainer. Too inexpensive not to go for

Cycleracks for the rear aren't quite as thrifty, but hella useful. Money you won't regret spending.

A tach? Check out Trailtech Vapor if you must, although you might be overestimating the importance of a tachometer. For about $200 less you can get a TTO thermometer from Trailtech that will help you keep out of the redzone just fine with 1 metric and a way easier install. I drove a standard car without a tach for 8 years, and after 100K miles or so I totally got used to it.

If you're riding off-road much at all, a better front tire and an aftermarket skid plate should be at the top of your list. I have a 244 in 5.10 up front and the TCI Skid. I've heard good things about the 241 as well, but there are lots of options. Ricochet makes a Skid plate with an easier install, but even though the TCI is a ridiculous PITA to install and a regular PITA at every oil change the protection it offers is unparalleled.

Congrats on the new TW, I went that route myself and never looked back! The only real must-have is time in the saddle, but with a new bike in the stable I'm sure I don't have to tell YOU that!

Enjoy.

·
Registered
267 Posts
front tire i have 5.10 244 life saver, bar riser comfort, hand guards saftey, foot pegs comfort, real skidplate saftey, mx fender looks meaner , new seat if you can afford, all a must for comfy ride period ...long or short.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Hi Winks! Congrats on the new TW and welcome to the forum!
Take a look in the Performance and Customization area. There is a sticky called "Guide to building an Adventure Ready TW200". You will find about all the mods available for our TWs.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Congratulations!

Have you had other bikes or is this your first?

What type of riding are you going to be doing? On road mostly, off road fire & logging roads, or trails & single tracks?

This info would help us to target appropriate farkles.

If you want more horsepower, you bought the wrong bike! :) The TW is legendarily mighty, just not mighty fast! A higher tooth count on the rear sprocket will get you more torque for the rough stuff, but at the expense of top speed.
The Don speaks words that are very true!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Im pretty new, and trying to get my tw ready for some longer trips. Here's where I'm at;

Seat concepts
Koplin fuel pack
Hand guards
Cycle racks
Panniers
LED brake light
Tool tube /w array of handy tools
Fuel filter

Really want to get a better skid plate. Already dinged my tin foil one up a bit. And also hoping to get a Clarke tank.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
236 Posts
Oh yeah forgot to mention I did grab a magnificent jimbo shield too.

·
Registered
503 Posts
for better range, I recommend a Clarke tank in addition to the kolpin auxiliary. Also, doing the carb shims and idle mixture screw are a must.
as this will create longer seat times, comfort becomes an issue. 1" bar risers compliment the Seat Concepts and DMO footpegs nicely. The possibilities are nearly endless when it comes to 'mods'. Make it your own, as its your butt in the seat. TIM

·
Registered
422 Posts
You know this is a really puzzling questions. Your bike has three miles on the odometer which means you have just started to learn about riding it. You have a wide range of possible accessories but you are the person who has to define The very first modification I suggest is to get about 1,000 miles on the odometer. By then you will understand what a TW motorcycle is and what it will and will not do. Once you know that the mods options are infinite. You have this bike for riding fun - not to break the bank. It is a whole pant load of fun out of the box. Go out and have a bunch of fun before your banker gets to excited. DonBenito has it right in his posting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wider pegs, grip warmers, "cycleracks" rack, if you mainly off road lower gear ratio for better hill climbing snappy throttle response mine 12 tooth front sprocket, white light brighter headlight, cabelas cycle bag 15 x 25 x 8. have a replacement shifter pedal I have been mine many times. The aluminum OEM skid plate is about thick as a soda can. I don't have a replacement as I have not chose which one. punched a nice hole in mine already. some have posted that the aftermarket ones rattle like hell. I use my bike for recreation but mainly hunting and don't want any unecessary noise.

·
Registered
236 Posts
What brand of white light headlight did you grab KenPCPilot? Link? Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
O.P. here again. I have a lot of dirt bike and street bike experience. But with higher horsepower machines. This is my first dual-sport bike. I know I need to ride it my way to find out what it needs, but getting the benefit of others knowledge and experience is a priceless head start. What works for most people will likely work for me. I am not special, just an average guy. I do not know enough yet to sort the chaff from the wheat on this subject, that is why I started this thread. The options are endless and overwhelming, so I thought I would pick your brains for your favorites.
The tidbits I have gleaned from this thread alone will keep me busy for weeks on Google.
Thanks, you guys. I cannot express how much I appreciate your input.

Just to muddy the waters, I just bought a Honda 1987 TR200 Fat Cat on Ebay for my wife. Do they have a forum anywhere?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First mod, not even installed yet. DMO Specialties zero-offset footpegs.

tw pegs.jpg

I also just ordered a YZ250 shifter on Ebay.
I tried to order those canister storage tubes from the Agri Supply place, but after 30 minutes of trying, their website would not let me finish checking out. Is something similar available elsewhere?
Manual Canister, Tool Tube, Tool Carrier | Agri Supply, 67670, Manual Case

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Procycle has a Cadillac version on their TW200 page. Down at the bottom.

Yamaha TW200 Parts and Performance - ProCycle

Very spendy by comparison, but it's an option.

How many miles are you up to now?
Whoa! No kidding on the spendy. I may give the Agri place another try or even Home Depot pvc pipe a try first.
How many miles? :confused5: Ummm, 15.1. I just ran across the break-in thread and I'm going to be changing the oil a little more often than originally planned.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts