TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why, in the many years that the TW has been made, and the equally many years that TW owners have been complaining that the engine is too small, doesn't Yamaha go ahead and do the natural thing and offer it as a 6 speed 250cc machine. Keep the low gear where it is and let the 6th gear be a bit more of an overdrive for the highway.

Nearly every owner I have ever spoken with is of this opinion.

Yamaha is denying itself a huge market increase by not doing this. I have even heard that they have offered the TW in a 225 in other countries. If this is so, why are we being denied the opportunity to have one? Is Yamaha so foolish as to provoke its loyal customers for some reason I could not possibly understand?

It makes no sense not to increase the engine size.

Get real Yamaha.

Phelonius

·
Registered
567 Posts
Why, in the many years that the TW has been made, and the equally many years that TW owners have been complaining that the engine is too small, doesn't Yamaha go ahead and do the natural thing and offer it as a 6 speed 250cc machine. Keep the low gear where it is and let the 6th gear be a bit more of an overdrive for the highway.

Yamaha is denying itself a huge market increase by not doing this. I have even heard that they have offered the TW in a 225 in other countries. If this is so, why are we being denied the opportunity to have one? Is Yamaha so foolish as to provoke its loyal customers for some reason I could not possibly understand?

Get real Yamaha.

Phelonius

Yamaha has a long history of pawning it's lesser models off on the US. There are of course many other reasons , low cost being the main one, (which at $4000 isn't so low cost anymore). Just be happy they even still bring the TW to the US, as I don't think it's sold anywhere else anymore. They only bring in a small quantity, and they sell every one. I personally think they may even stop making the TW within the next 2 years, I think they already stopped the 225 in Japan in 2007. As has been discussed, Yamaha did make a TW350 prototype that never made it to production (my guess is California clean air standards, the reliability of the xt350 engines, and unfriendly laws toward larger bikes in foreign markets caused them to shelve it). If you remember most trail bikes back in the 70's were under 125cc, so the manufactures have always looked at the trail segment as a low power beginner bike attitude. The present world economy will prevent them from even thinking of a new low profit margin TW if one was already in the works.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
If all they have to do is install B.N.G.'s every year to sell them.Then why not? Harley got away with it for years!

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If all they have to do is install B.N.G.'s every year to sell them.Then why not? Harley got away with it for years!

And still does, but that does not make me want to spend 20 thousand for one.

Phelonius

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Not to be a contrarion, but if the goal of Yamaha is to build a bike that's good on trails, (lots of low speed power, capable of running 45-55 mph when conditions are good, and with the lightness to be picked up when dropped, and a fat tire with both appeal and application in the trail riding setting, I think Mr. Yamaha did a good job. And if he had a set of tires, suspension and frame set up for a top end around 55 mph, why would he want to encourage someone to ride it 65 or higher and place that person, passengers, and the company at risk. Its not a hawg, not a beamer, and not a pit bike, = its a trail bike and so well designed that changes to meet the power urge of admittedly 50% of the folks that buy it were not deemed necessary by Mr. Y. He presumably is counting on those who lust for more top end, throaty mufflers, and rooster tails of dust behind them to go toward the bigger dirt bikes. It will run faster than 55, but is it the best thing to do from a safety and design point of view. Not from my viewpoint - and I'm only guessing what Mr. Yamaha thinks. But he does think and is not immune to market demand and buyer perspectives. Just thinking. Tom

·
Registered
567 Posts
Would anyone buy a $6000 TW? because I'm sure if mr Yamaha met our demands, that is what he would sell it for. Some of us would gladly pay it, others, not so much, especially campers and beginners.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't want to go that much faster. I want better hill climbing torque and the ability to travel paved roads at traffic speeds without being at Max screaming rpms.

Phelonius

·
Registered
42 Posts
250 and 6 speed would be nice.

Nothings perfect though but from what I've heard the TW is damned near a perfect all around as long as you don't want a speed demon.

If I ever own one I think I will do a sprocket adjustment as I've read in several post here and there, so that I may cruise comfortably at 60-65. That's fast enough for me. You wouldn't want to travel on two wheels on any interstate around here as far as I'm concerned, too many damned idiots texting!

·
Registered
572 Posts
They could go the route of KLR and change all the plastics add 100 lbs and no more hp. It is what it is I don't think those huge tires would be good at high speed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've wanted a motorcycle for over 10 years now, just seems nothings going right financially when I decide I'd like to save up for something.

Anyways, I've looked at many small bikes/scooters over the years that might fit my price range. Problem is, I'm picky when I don't need to be, hehe.

Seems there's always something 'more' a bike could have to make it perfect (as far as I see them anyways).

I first started looking at the Honda Ruckus. Figured it was everything I needed for 'around town' romping and it has plenty of aftermarket support, except it's expensive as hell if you wanna go over 40mph. Now I prolly wouldn't ever NEED to go over 40 but what if I felt a little froggy some day and wanted to get out on that 50mph road? Prolly wouldn't be much fun pegging it out and still getting passed while the onlookers point and laugh at the big guy on the little scooter. I've always liked the look of the Ruckus though so havnt completely counted it out. If Honda would only make a 125-150cc version!!!

Second bike I began looking at is older Honda CT110's from 80'-86'. Great looking retro multi purpose scooter/bike and can be found fairly cheap as long as you don't mind fixing it up a bit. Problem is, I've never worked on engines and wouldn't know first hand how to fix anything until I study a manual from front to back and hope I don't mess something up. Other cons I see are that these are OLDER bikes and it may be hard to find one in great condition without pouring cash into some kind of project. Oh, and I think top speed is only like 45mph or something like that.

And finally, I stumbled upon the TW and this forum. Now, when I first saw the TW, actually I think it was a picture of a TW225 which looked like some sort of dirt bike/street tracker, I immediately fell in love with the styling. Come to find out we in the states get the TW200 version which looks like a dirt bike with blinkers to me minus the street tracker styling. I'm not to big on dirt bike looks, Ive always hated the square headlights and the oversized plastic bright fairings and all. But I began sifting through this site and found great modified machines that allowed me to see that it is POSSIBLE to mod to your hearts content but at a high price from shipping parts from Japan. I really hate that there isn't much aftermarket support for these bikes over here. I wish web!ke would help us out here with some of these manufacturers.

Anyways the TW may just be the perfect bike for me in the long run. It can be had for cheap if you buy used. It's not THAT ugly. It will cruise at 55, even more if you change the gearing, that's plenty for me. From what I've read it's fairly low maintenance and that's good for me since I'm no mechanic (but willing to learn). Makes for a decent offroad, asphalt and errand running bike.

Would I make some changes? Sure. The perfect TW for me would have a little more power, maybe 250? Have a 6 speed tranny for some breathing room on the top end. Have a larger capacity gas tank. Will Yamaha ever make such changes?

It's late, I'm tired, sorry for rambling on.

Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had heard years ago that the 200cc motor also had to do with insurnace for those that ride them on the road.. Over 200cc cost more...Or at least it does in Ohio. I'm sure import terrifs also had some to do with it...

·
Registered
319 Posts
My attitude is why would I want this bike if it had a larger engine and got poorer fuel mileage.

If I wanted a trail bike I would have bought a 250 honda or a Kaw.

I hope it never changes.

You can bore it out with a kit, I think they do that in Japan don't they?

Not mine though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm happy. After about 50 years of riding bikes of all sizes, I find it almost strange that my current ride, by choice, not by price, is the TW. I guess it just fits my current need.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm with Alaska Tdub

After riding many miles on a lot of much, much larger platforms I still think the TW would be the only bike to remain in my garage if I had only one to own.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I'm with Alaska Tdub

After riding many miles on a lot of much, much larger platforms I still think the TW would be the only bike to remain in my garage if I had only one to own.
Agreed. I've joined the 200mph club at Bonneville and ridden to Alaska and Zaca Tecas. I'd rather have a TW and a long weekend in the Ozarks or Smokies than about anything.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Get real Yamaha.

Phelonius

I too am a 50 year rider = and my reaction to the idea of more gears, cc's and speed is simply WHY?

The TW has successfully filled a niche much to its riders delight - more of anything could easily take it out of that niche and into another class.

The pity I feel is that we cannot get the 125 in North America.

The day comes for all riders when speed and the accessories to do that are secondary to the pleasure of a sweet ride down a country lane at 70 kmph with time to smell the breezes

So Please Mr Yamaha - play with the bling but don't touch the mechanics please

·
Registered
369 Posts
I agree, when I want speed I take the softail out for a spin. The poor thing has been playing second fiddle to the dub since I've had it, I've only been on the HD twice.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts