TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well hello.

I just bought a '92 tw. It starts. It runs.

And I know very little about the tw, except it fit the bill for my requirements.

I am enthused by the postings in this forum about the great qualities the bike demonstrates.

I humbly accept your sage advice regarding all that is recommended and advised to make this bike (and my treatment of such a unique feat of engineering) the best it can be.

I shall read the forum thoroughly before requesting advice.

Admittedly, I am intimidated by this prospect, yet intrepid in it's end.

Good evening to all.

F

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome from a recent newbie.
Have fun riding an awesome bike.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hay,dude! I got my few days back. I work from 9:30am to 7:00pm mon to sat have 0 energy for trail riding. So, have fun for me, take pic and post.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm in Tampa, FL. My requirements for the purchase were:

1)inexpensive

2)Yamaha

3)more than a 125

4)street legal

I fulfilled these, however there is work to be done.

The bike runs, but not well.

My to do list, after reading the forum:

-carb clean x 3

-inline fuel filter

-seafoam

-oil change

-change oil filter

-something with the brakes... the back brake lever goes WAY down to engage... pads, I'm guessing??

-air filter

There are cosmetic issues, but that's a low priority.

I did get to ride it, and mind you it's been a couple decades since I rode a motorcycle, and it was AWESOME!

My girlfriend says I have to buy a helmet... any suggestions for this hi-vis green newbie??

Edit: and change the spark plug.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I replaced the spark plug, it was pretty burnt. The bike runs, but is clearly running VERY rich.

I am reading the "carb cleaning" post.

Wow, you guys know how to post. Excellent pictures and instructions.

Thank you!

Fritz

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Hi-vis green is good. It's amazing how much nicer cagers are when a rider sticks out like a gangreenous kiwi.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

Fly trekker i just got this winter. Its no shoei or arai but Not a bad helmet for less than $125. Revzilla or competition accessories has them. Its way brighter/green than then the pic looks. I just got the wife a scorpion hi-viz helmet and we went for our first ride this evening with these helmets and every car that went by actually stared at us and I doubt it was the tw. Ive been riding for a long time and its amazing how much better people notice the hi-viz. Oh you might need to tighten up the wingnut on your rear brake adjuster "back wheel/ right side".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to QWERTY, Small's and all those who are tolerating my silly questions. But the truth is, I know nothing (as if that wasn't apparent...
)

I kinda like the idea of the HI-VIZ helmet. Nifty, thanks for the recommendation.

Also a big thanks to BuddyMc for the PM explaining some of the basics.

I realize how mundane it can get when people who don't know anything ask the same basic questions. I am combing the forum for information regarding the mechanical end.

I own a gun range and gun store, so I get the same silly questions all day, everyday... but the difference is, I can't get frustrated with dispensing the same basic information because each one of them is a potential client for a long time to come. So, again I can appreciate ya'lls disdain for a newbie.

In the end, I do need the idiot's guide to motorcycling. Which is why even the most basic advice and insight is extremely helpful!

BTW, what was a wingnut on the rear brake adjuster has no wings left. The threads are also spray painted over, so tightening it is a bit tough.

I decided to trailer it to the dealership and get a tune up, and whatever else they can do to make improvements. Freaking dealerships... hey, now I get to go shopping!

Thanks again!

Fritz

·
Registered
264 Posts
I like to introduce serious newbies to TW-ing on turf, like ballfields and maybe- a gun range? Its a little bit more difficult, but much more forgiving. Plan to be on your side with your leg under the bike. This helps to pick out boots, pants, gloves, and helmet and wear them when practicing. You need to have someone to ride with, even just a little. And of course, Motorcycle Safety Course. I learned a lot from 'Proficient Motorcycling' by David L. Hough, who wrote from a safety perspective for Motorcycle Consumer News. Wisdom such as "The majority of helmet strikes are to the chin area in an accident," and on and on. GB

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Welcome aboard......... You will hear from lot's of guys who really know their stuff about dubs.. My wife and I have matching 06's.. Bought them new, they now have 8,000 miles on mine and 5,500 on hers... What fun bikes on two tracks or firm gravel... Sand and our dubs don't seem to get along that well... It's 90% our fault.. "RIDER SKILL" We get 80+ mpg every time... They feel best at 45/55mph. We do have the pad for extra support. We load them in the back of my f-150 for long hauls. Went out west this past summer... Had a blast in the bad lands, devil tower..

You will fall in-love with these little beast.. Enjoy. OMM.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts