TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...but thought I'd share my 70th birthday/impending retirement gift.

2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone.JPG

It was a good day.
Friends from church came over for a potluck, as well as son, daughter-in-law and their 6 kids (1/2 of my 12 grandkids0.
All three daughters called, as did two of eldest daughters sons...one is an Army captain and the other a cadet in college.

Son brought a case of exotic (I don't know how else to label) root beers and ginger ales, as well as 3 T shirts (H-D, Triumph and Moto Guzzi).
Friend gave me a box of .357 hollow points. Son will help me use them, when we have a father and son day at the ranch, in a week.

T'was a great day!

·
Super Moderator
17,941 Posts
Happy Birthday Doc!!

:smileinbox::eek:ccasion16::wav::eek:ccasion13::hello2:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Happy Birthday sir. Now that is what I call celebrating your birthday in style. Good family, cool motorcycle ( love the Guzzi's ), good soda and gun stuff.
Way to go!!!

Bill

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thaks, all.
I've only participated on this forum a short time, but have quickly appreciated the great group of forum folks.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Gorgeous Guzzi. Happy Birthday (and impending retirement).

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Happy Birthday Doc that is a beautiful bike. It looks like the perfect seat height for my short legs. Are you planning any long trips after you retire?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Congrats, doc.

Can't tell from the photo, is that a V7 II or the new V7 III ?

How do you like it?

I nearly bought one myself.....but end up with the Triumph.

jb

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congrats, doc.

Can't tell from the photo, is that a V7 II or the new V7 III ?

How do you like it?

I nearly bought one myself.....but end up with the Triumph.

jb
It is a 2016 = V7 II, which is why I got it for $5,999.

The Triumph Bonneville (based upon my 2012 865cc) is smoother and has more higher RPM HP.
On my test ride, on a rental, I did not see a HP drop, as I accidentally hit the rev limiter in first gear...it just got there quicker than I expected.

The Bonneville had dual oil pumps and a factory oil cooler, which makes it a great desert bike.
In 2012, I got 10% off the $7,700 price and Triumph had a promotion with a free center stand, free rear rack and a couple other goodies.
Never should have sold it, but middle daughter had heavy medical expenses.

The V7 has jugs in the wind, for good cooling and a low maintenance shaft drive, which I really, really like.
It is, however, VERY cold blooded and will balk without a 1-2 minute warm up.

My Bonneville had the Arrow tune, with stock exhausts (until I drilled out the centers**) and behaved very well cold.
** Not obnoxious, but audible.

Acceleration on the 744 cc V twin is very thumper-like, more so than a Sportster, but smooth at highway speeds.

2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone.JPG

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Happy Birthday Doc that is a beautiful bike. It looks like the perfect seat height for my short legs. Are you planning any long trips after you retire?
Rick, my long trips are usually only day trips, such as 460 miles from Las Vegas to Alamo to Warm Spings (ghost town), on the Extraterrestial Highway to Tonopah and back, which I did on the Bonneville, but had to carry extra fuel.

Day ride.jpg

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm a Guzzi guy(I've had 4). The V7 smallblocks are jewel-like. They're just simple, beautiful machines that you can keep forever. Congratulations.
Feeling nostalgic, I did some comparisons with my 1976 Honda CB750F, which I had from 1976 to 1981.
Not many trips, other than Death Valley, but I commutted on it for 35,000+ miles.

The V7 is 45 pounds lighter, holds 0.5 gallon more fuel, has no chain to clean and lube and does not have 4 carbs to synch.
Torque is close, but higher RPM HP is less.

The Honda was rated mid thirties on MPG. I remember getting 38 MPG.
The Moto Guzzi is rated 56 MPH.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts

Never should have sold it, .....
I had an 865cc '06 Bonneville that I can't remember why I sold it. :(

If if you test ride one of the new water cooled high-torque 900cc Bonnevilles, you will be surprised by the performance difference.

You got a great price on the V7. When I was looking at them, I was quoted an out-the-door price around $10,000! :eek:

The V7 is still on my short list....but not at that price.

jb

1 - 20 of 20 Posts