TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I wrote a check for 5300 dollars to purchase ,out the door off the show room floor, a brand new VanVan.
That include all the state taxes and licensing and all the other government greed, set up etcetera.
The same dealer sold T Dubs so I could ogle them side by side. Prices were the same. The worst thing I could say about the dub was its' lack of a saddle.
The Van Van has a real honest to goodness saddle. It was like comparing riding a 2X6 to a real saddle.
The Van Van runs on fuel injection. I expect a bit better gas milage because of this.
The VanVan has more civilized tires than the Dub. It will be better suited for the street with these.
At 73 years and two paralyzed legs, I don't expect to be going into the wilder areas any more anyway. Rear sprocket is 46 teeth.
I will most likely change this to a 50 or 52 tooth. I haven't decided to build a sidecar or use one from Washington State that I have all the parts for
or to modify the one that is presently on my Rokon, but it will get a sidecar.
I do not have the ability to post photos from my camera but I will figure out how to do that when the time comes.
It is a bit prettier than a dub, sort of like a High school cheerleader compared to Clementine. They both have attractions, but different.
Anyway this is likely the last motorcycle I will ever buy, at least new, so I will have to make the best of it.

Oh and I forgot to mention, it has a factory oil cooler.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OMG!! My first two wheel ride since I sold my last TW in Hawaii 6 years ago. After unloading the truck, I let my brotherinlaw try it out. He came back with a shoulder to shoulder grin! I got out of my wheel chair and handed him my cane. I struggled to get my leg over the bike but noticed that even with the large saddle, it was easier than the T W I had sat on at the shop. I felt like a rank beginner. The bike felt alien to me and I had a worry that I had dropped more than 5 grand on something I could not use. I nicked into gear and was off. It was incredibly smooth and I quickly got the balance of it again although not with the élan I had known in years gone by. I rolled up about 6 miles on the OD before I came home and put it away. Yes I too had a shoulder to shoulder grin. I will learn to ride this thing all over again!

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not interested in those. I have piloted sidecars since 1967 and have faith in them. This will be the twelfth sidecar when I get it mounted.
Also, they carry more groceries and junk than any other motorcycle. I am curious about what gas milage will be with this new fuel injection.
It has a 46 tooth sprocket on the rear so as a two wheeler it should get about 70 MPG when I learn to ride it.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
We're excited for you phelonius!!
Not interested in those. I have piloted sidecars since 1967 and have faith in them. This will be the twelfth sidecar when I get it mounted.
Also, they carry more groceries and junk than any other motorcycle. I am curious about what gas milage will be with this new fuel injection.
It has a 46 tooth sprocket on the rear so as a two wheeler it should get about 70 MPG when I learn to ride it.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Sounds like a winner for you. Happy for you also.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Congrats.
Do you think you'll miss the excitement of adjusting the carb now that you have efi?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Phelonius, I am stoked for you. TW's are great, but brand or model doesn't matter at all, as long as you are able to get along with it. I'm curious about your "handle". Is Phelonius Monk, the jazz musician somehow related to your online forum name?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Poor "Thelonius" Monk. Never gets credit even for his own name :)

I always thought your handle was a play on the imaginary companion in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts