TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a TT-R225 and took it for a good ride yesterday. I cleaned the air filter and changed the oil. The bike ran great all day besides being very cold blooded. On my last ride I went up a steep long second gear hill and was revving it up but not to the moon, I was driving it like I drive my TW off road It did not sound like I was over revving it. Any ways on the down hill section soon after that I noticed it popping really bad all of a sudden. It died when I got To the bottom of the hill. I got it started and made it back to the truck. It won't idle unless the choke is on, and I have to keep revving it or it will die. I'm going to clean the bike good then check the valves and clean and inspect the carb. I did give it a compression check, I couldn't fit a wrench into the spark plug area but I got the tester needlenose tight and it was about 105. I checked my TW and it was just under 120. Now I am scared I did something expensive to fix. If it's not the carb which I hope it is, I had a DR200 that was running like that and when I took the carb apart a jet had fallen out somehow. What other things would make it run like that suddenly? Any ideas or comments are appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just read up a little on compression testing. I did not open the throttle and the TT-R was cold and I had ridden my TW about an hour before and the engine was still warm to the touch. I don't know if that would change anything.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
The first thing I do when my bikes starts running poorly is switch the gas tank reserve. Seriously, it sounds like a fuel / carb problem. Probably dirt. Check your fuel filter.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
It is always hard to diagnose from an internet post... sounds like a lean condition started on or after the climb. probably shook some crud loose in the tank. Popping and running only on choke or at high rpm's sounds like a fuel circuit is restricted or an air leak on the intake side.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I just got home I'm going to wash it good. I washed it after the ride Sunday but after taking the tank off there is probably ten year old dirt caked on the frame and top of the engine. I will update later any comments, tips, advice is always appreciated.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got to the bike the valves were a bit loose and the carb didn't look too bad but I cleaned the pilot thoroughly. There is a brass plug over the air idle screw I think it is called. Anyhow I drilled it out and it was like 4 turns out and I set it at 1 1/2 turns out. Does any body know what settings work best on this bike? Also does a washer shimmed under the needle help on these like the TW's?
Took it for a test drive it still took a while to warm up but it seemed to be running better than I remember!
Thanks folks for the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts