TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
19,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another pleasant ride done in the off-peak fall.

Impressive the work done to re-open these mountain passes after each winter.

Another great ride outside of Alabama Hills up to Mt. Whitney access one one example of region wide damage due to heavy 2017 winter:

·
Registered
19,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This compilation is perhaps worth repeating since we have had few videos posted recently...Maybe I just like the memories it brings back as well as the incentive to do more next year.

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
It’s cold, I’m bored and feeling withdrawal from happy sunny motorcycling.
So bear ( bare?) with me as I share some summer re-runs as part of my convalescence.

I'm not sure which is worse, being able to sit on the TW but not hold on to the handlebars, me, shoulder surgery or not being able to swing a leg and even sit on the TW, you, hip surgery?

How long are you suppose to be out-of-service? I was out-of-service for 3 plus months (Dec, Jan, Feb and parts of Nov and Mar). I did make it to Moab though not even close to full strength that year.

I am glad I had my surgery in fall/winter like you so I didn't have to miss the summer riding.

Version for our generation Fred.

Version for Millennials

Stay positive Fred, it gets better...usually! :p

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Trade ya for the winter!!!! :p I hate this place in the winter!!!!
funny today I was just thinking how much I missed winter lol

Living in AZ after a lifetime in Seattle this sun every day gets old I need me some cold wet gray Jet City rain

·
Registered
19,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I recall Spokane’s extended periods of grey frozen wintertime weather as being very depressing. Even when Spring had sprung localized patches of ice and frozen ground would make motorcycling an iffy proposition. Much sympathy LT. Spokane does have it’s charms, after all what other major cities have a fairly wild and scenic river flowing through it and past the World’s Fair site?

Not my photos: 6273514858_e191e56422_b.jpg flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg
However fond images they can be hard to remember when a cold inversion layer settles in the river valley. Spokane_river_frost_t1200.jpg

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Rode 130+ miles today.
Cool in the valley and chilly in the mountains.
Kyle Canyon to about 7,000' was fine.
Deer Creek Road to Robber's Roost was fine, with minor ice in the shadows of the opposite lane (close to 8,000 feet elevation).
North of Robber's Roost, there was ice across the entire road, complicated by shadows, so I doubled back to highway 95.
55 MPG for that section.

Went north/west on highway 95 to Cold Creek Road.
No wild horses seen on the way up...2 seen on the return.

Walked around Corn Creek Springs.
Standing in the sun felt good!

Overall 50 MPG. If I fill with bike on center stand, I can squeeze ~0.2 gallon more in the tank.

Deer Creek Road N of Robber's Roost 28 Nov 2017.JPG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here in upstate CNY [think Unadilla MX area] we get two kinds of snow; the heavy N'easter stuff, and the lighter lake effect stuff. LE has less H2O content, but it thaws and packs well. We ride our TWs on the snowmobile trails all winter- singletrack in the woods is like riding dirt; sometimes, in the meadows, we have to push under power, because the sledders spread out. We use sheet metal screws, for studs, for any ice; not enough power to spit 'em out- but throttle control crossing paved roads!

Safest time, believe it, is @ night, because ye can see the headlight glow of approaching sleds. They, of course, go like hell in the open; but we don't hold 'em up in the woods. The TWs don't have enough power to tear up the trails, so the sledders we chat w/ on the tavern loops are okay with us. Fun to see the 2 bikes in a sea of sleds.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Here in upstate CNY [think Unadilla MX area] we get two kinds of snow; the heavy N'easter stuff, and the lighter lake effect stuff. LE has less H2O content, but it thaws and packs well. We ride our TWs on the snowmobile trails all winter- singletrack in the woods is like riding dirt; sometimes, in the meadows, we have to push under power, because the sledders spread out. We use sheet metal screws, for studs, for any ice; not enough power to spit 'em out- but throttle control crossing paved roads!

Safest time, believe it, is @ night, because ye can see the headlight glow of approaching sleds. They, of course, go like hell in the open; but we don't hold 'em up in the woods. The TWs don't have enough power to tear up the trails, so the sledders we chat w/ on the tavern loops are okay with us. Fun to see the 2 bikes in a sea of sleds.
Well your just a hop, skip and jump from me. Any pics of your snow traveling TW? I would love to ride the snowmobile trails on mine.

Tom

·
Registered
19,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What could be more summer like than the 4th of July?

·
Registered
19,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Darn, can’t edit to add this verbiage to previous post. Above video was from a fine day when Adam-in-Nevada and I romped over two mountain passes, three major drainage systems, a handful of alpine lakes, some fun creek splashing, granite slick-rockin' and a challenging rocky run through a wilderness corridor for an epic 80 mile loop.Not a bad day considering a locked gate had me abandon the original plan to loop from HWY 88 north to HWY 50 across sierra crest and instead loop south over 88’s Carson Pass to HWY4’s Ebbits Pass.Just what I need on a cold frosty morning.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts