TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Sthil 028 in 1987. I've dropped trees on it, cut through Ice, ran over it with a tractor, seized it up, rebuilt it, cut hundreds of cords of wood with it. Well it still cuts good but I'm getting older and I just lost all of my ash trees here. Some are pretty damned big. So I've decided I need a new saw. Something big enough to do the work for me on these ash trees. I paid almost $400 for the 028 back in 1987, So I'm thinking $6-700 is reasonable considering inflation. Hell $800 is reasonable. But... I need to sell some junk off on Ebay to cover it. :)

So, anyone using something the love? It's got to take a 20"+ bar with ease, and I may spring for the magnesium case, (I intend to keep using it into my LATE 70's or 80's)

Tom

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm a fan of Stihl, but my cousin, he cuts trees for a living, turned me on to a Husqvarna. I like it. I'd buy either without hesitation. I give the nod to Stihl if you want American made.

Reactions: blind/stitch

·
Registered
230 Posts
I love my o26 Stihl, their saws are really tough to beat...

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I picked up a ms270 a few years ago and really like it but the only other two I have used were aan old 025 and an old farm boss 041 I think.

·
Registered
184 Posts
i stihl have my old 028 in the shop but i replaced it with the newer 250 model of stihl.great little saws. iv'e cut pine trees with 30 in. butts ,firewood .cut 200 40ft power poles for domtar one year .light enough for limbing but able to knock down big stuff if your not in a big hurry .it's also easer on the back.the price range hasn't gone up much for stihl ,istill see ads for around 4to 5 hundred for their 250-270 range saws.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Keep your old saw and hire a Mexican to clean up the dead tries.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I have an MS390 with a 20" bar that I'm very fond of. If I had to buy one today, I'd probably go with the 360 PRO to save some weight and add a little power.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I use a fairly old Stihl 034 w 18" bar. I stopped heating with wood 2 years ago. If I had to replace it, I would get the next size up.

| STIHL USA Mobile

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ve cut all my own firewood for the last 30 years. I also log my own property, saw my own lumber on a Woodmizer LT40 sawmill, dry the lumber in my solar wood kiln, and build furniture.

I’ve gone through a few Stihls, mostly “Rancher” or “Homeowner” saws over the years. Currently I have a Stihl MS441 for felling and cutting up larger diameter trees, and a smaller (50cc class), faster, lighter Husqvarna pro-quality 346XP saw with a 20” bar. I love that saw and would recommend to anyone serious about chainsawing to take a look at Husqvarna’s Pro class of saws.

And don’t forget to always wear a good pair of Kevlar Chainsawing chaps.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish I had someone around here with a mill like that! I have got so freaking much Ash that's standing dead... Damn...

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
i don't think you can go wrong with either a husqvarna or a stihl...just pick your favorite color...i'd go with whatever they carry at the local hardware store so i can get parts fast in case i'm in a pinch...

i have a small husky for my main saw which i bought in 08 maybe but i don't use it as much as some of you guys...it still starts 3rd pull every time though...

then i also have this old heavy beasty echo that i almost never use which i think i'll be selling soon...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I broke some mounts in the 028 today cutting locust. It's thawing here and I need to get some stuff out of the woods fast.... So, off to the saw dealers tomorrow.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Is that supposed to be funny? :(...
No. Since I've been on the road we had a bad ice storm that made a mess of the yard. The first couple guys my wife hired spent more time standing around smoking than working, and littered the yard with butts. The second guys never showed up after collecting the down payment for their services. So much for the trailer park and ghetto folks. I finally called my friend Francisco, who is a rancher with a yard service on the side in Texas, and explained what I needed done. He sent a couple of his cousins who were very polite to my beautiful wife who looked 17 and who was home alone, and they did a great job cleaning everything up. Because the guys treated Angel with respect and kept a polite distance, Angel felt safe enough to hire Miguel and Rafael to do all the yard work, and even some repairs on the house. They always made sure we got more than we paid for, and Angel didn't have to answer the door with her 7-.45 on her hip to feel safe. They and their wives did the final cleaning, packing, and preparation to sell the house after Angel was taken. If I ever need to buy lawn care or housekeeping again, they'll get the first call for sure.

·
Registered
184 Posts
we have started to bring in mexican labour up here for the farming sector,nobody wants to work for farm wages or long hours anymore.the farmers are happy that they are geting dependable workers who arn't afraid of heat or long hours.we have jamacans here as well on the same deal .the farmers supply housing and transportation as well as afair wage. it's funny to see some of them wearing hats and sweaters on a 70 degree weather and we're in t shirts. i see them shoping on friday nights in 16 pass. buses ,they are a happy go lucky bunch ,alyways laughing and joking around.i havent heard of any of them geting in trouble with the law either.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Mirrors our experiences, wildcat.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Looks like I'm going with the Stihl MS362. It's a bit overkill, but hey, overkill is far far wiser then being unprepared. It's about as big as you can get and still keep the weight down. It's Pro grade, 20" bar, and it's rebuild-able. The dealer is 4 miles from home, and they shaved a few bucks off the price. :eek:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’ve cut all my own firewood for the last 30 years. I also log my own property, saw my own lumber on a Woodmizer LT40 sawmill, dry the lumber in my solar wood kiln, and build furniture.

I’ve gone through a few Stihls, mostly “Rancher” or “Homeowner” saws over the years. Currently I have a Stihl MS441 for felling and cutting up larger diameter trees, and a smaller (50cc class), faster, lighter Husqvarna pro-quality 346XP saw with a 20” bar. I love that saw and would recommend to anyone serious about chainsawing to take a look at Husqvarna’s Pro class of saws.

nd don’t forget to always wear a good pair of Kevlar Chainsawing chaps.
I found a guy with a mill to come in and set up here, he just got it. We're working on the details but due to my location and having the room to work, I think I may have a "Tenant". :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts