TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TW unfortunately stays outdoors for now, at least till I get my garage built, hopefully next year. I like keeping it handy in the side yard because it's easy to hop on it for errands and quick trips. That's what I got it for. The other bike is just too big and heavy to be any fun for that kind of riding.

So I want to replace the blue tarp with a real bike cover. Any suggestions? I've always been happy with Nelson-Rigg products, I use one of theirs for the bigass Honda, but I'm unsure which size to get. They do have a 'scooter cover' which I'm tempted to try, but thought I'd ask here first.

·
Registered
13,920 Posts
In the past I used a generic motorcycle cover from WalterMart. What I discovered was, it was thin and developed tears in certain places when the wind whipped up. I ended up putting a "blue" plastic tarp on with bungee cords. Now it's in the shop with the generic cover.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Plastic tarps work better and last longer if folded and duct taped to fit. Reinforce inside and outside with 2 or 3 layers of duct tape anywhere the corver rests on a small area of bike, like mirrors, hand grips, and taillight.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a problem with paying 50 bucks or so to get a good cover. It's more convenient, easier to put on and take off, looks a lot better there in the yard, and a good one will last a long time in the weather. I'll wait till Monday and give the guys at New Enough a call. They know their business and I'm sure that they'll know one that'll fit.

·
Registered
404 Posts
What about a portable shed? If you have the space, for about $200 you can set one up, you can easily get the bike in and out and you can keep other bike related things in there such as oil and fuel containers. You can put a tough tarp on the ground and you are set.

I remember it being a pain to put the cover on and off. Half of the time I wouldn't ride the bike just so that I didn't have to go through the trouble of taking it out of the cover, plus you can leave marks on the finish anywhere the cover touches the bike.... so glad I have a garage now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I went ahead and ordered a cover. After speaking with Nate at New Enough I decided to go with the Nelson-Rigg Defender 3000 in size large. While I was at it I ordered some saddlebags, also Nelson-Rigg, to hang off the Cyclerack. When I ordered the Cyclerack a few weeks ago I didn't know that I'd need the sidebag supports but I knew that if I didn't get them I'd want them later. As it turns out, now IS later and I miss having the casual cargo capacity that side bags offer so what the heck, now I can carry some extra cold weather gear. Speaking of which, I also got some silk glove liners.

I can't say enough good things about the prices and service I've gotten at New Enough. They're the first place I go for gear. Between them and Aerostich (for the extravagant things I can't get anywhere else), all my gear needs are met.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was reluctant to order the large size cover but Nate knew what he was talking about. We had 2" of snow last night (that's unusual for this area), so I got a couple of pictures of the cover doing its job.

It fits loosely enough around the top to keep from rubbing anything raw, but the elastic on the bottom holds it firmly in place. Even if it had a big top box mounted this cover would fit just fine. If your TW has to spend any time outdoors, You can't go wrong with this cover. It's still available as a closeout sale item at New Enough. $50 is a good price for this quality of gear. And if you add another $40 worth of gear to your order, you'll get free shipping. I know you can find $40 worth of stuff on their website that you need.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Glad it all worked out for you. I'm fortunate to have a garage.

·
Registered
54 Posts
For anyone else looking for a cover, Dowco makes some good stuff too. I have the Weatherall Plus cover on my FZ6, and even under pounding rain, the bike stays nice and dry underneath. Seems to block out sunlight really well too. Fit is perfect, and it looks like it'll last for a very long time. It's just an all around beefy cover. Not all thin like some of the cheapies. It cost me around $70, so a little more than the Nelson-Rigg cover, but still cheap for a great cover!

Heck, my TW now needs a good cover, I might just get the Nelson since it's so cheap! Thanks for the info on the clearance! Also, +1 on the large size. I have a medium on my FZ, and no way would it cover the TW all the way. The TW is smaller, but the handlebars are wide enough to make fitment a bit of a pain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts