TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to plan a trip from Port Clinton, OH to Pittsfield, NH.

The Tyre to Travel program that came with my TomTom picked a nice quick route that avoids the NY State Thruway. Only an hour plus in time and shorter in distance. Yee-ha!

No - this is not being ridden on a t-dub.

I would like to locate fuel stops based on range and a motel based on hours ridden. I have a bucket load of POI files giving me gas stations, eateries and motels along my route. Now comes the slow, cumbersome, clumsy back and forth between map and roadbook trying to find the best suited. Not fun!

I'm looking for suggestions for a better trip planner, or end arounds someone's found for Tyre; and I am will to spend money if need be. Only stipulation, needs to be compatible with a TomTom GPS. The boy and girls in Amsterdam aren't being too helpful on this.

Thanks

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Why not be a free spirit and make those decisions on the fly? It is only 700+ miles and 11 + hours via northern routes and it is not like it is empty remote country without frequent towns and services like the Gobi Dessert.
I'ld simply plan on looking for fuel every 3/4ths of a tank and if I thought I couldn't do 11 hours in the saddle look for a motel when tired, or plan for one say 60% of the way, somewhere around Syracuse. Make an adventure out of it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really trying to over think this one . . . But as with flying and mountain climbing knowing plan "B" options before hand is comforting; keeps your adventure from becoming an epic adventure! Really what I want to know is that point of no return. Buy gas here or you will run out before your next option.

Anyway, I'm not sure I-90 or I-86 falls into the category of scenic byways of North America. Things won't really turn enjoyable until Rt 9 in southern Vermont. Sad though that NH realigned Rt 9 for safety reasons. Use to ride the old Rt 9 on my bicycle quite a bit. That was a scenic ride!

More than likely this will turn into an in-a-moments-notice, grab my gear and go - running fast and running light kinda trip. So, okay, I'll do it your way.:)

·
Registered
928 Posts
I like to use the Gas Buddy application for my smart phone. This allows me the flexibility of spontaneous travel and still feel confident I can find gas when needed. I used it extensively a couple of years ago when I went cross-country in the RV-bus. Very useful when I needed to find diesel every 100 miles.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Smart Phones....are for people that don't know how to build a fire, and make Smoke Signals :smiley_simmons:
;) Dude... you KNOW I drive a "short bus", RIGHT? :p

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I like to use the Gas Buddy application for my smart phone. This allows me the flexibility of spontaneous travel and still feel confident I can find gas when needed. I used it extensively a couple of years ago when I went cross-country in the RV-bus. Very useful when I needed to find diesel every 100 miles.
I hope that you get more than 100 miles per tankful (or that your bus has a very small tank!).

·
Registered
928 Posts
I hope that you get more than 100 miles per tankful (or that your bus has a very small tank!).
The bus gets 8 mpg and only has a 15-18 gallon tank - so, yes, very tiny tank for such a big bus. My theory is that since it used to be a prison bus, the tank was purposely kept small so if the bus is ever taken over by the prisoners, there was a very limited range they could reach if they continued to drive it.

The amount I can fit depends on the tilt of the cement pad at the pump. If it's tilted the wrong way, the shallow fill port backs up with fuel before the whole tank is full. Replacing the tank with a larger one is one of my wish list projects that may or may not be completed - just depends if I decide to keep the bus or not.

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Screemingbanshee stated he won't be piloting his TW so I rather doubt he will have either a 1.8g.TW or 2.7g. Clarke tank.:)
I do understand his concern about a reasonable flight plan to avoid running out, that just makes sense. Sometimes not every whistle stop in farm country has fuel sales.
Now out on my favorite HWY 50 in central Nevada the choices are real simple, only gas is at the only towns and they run about 90 miles apart from each other. Makes buying gas buying decisions real easy. Get it while you can!:p

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
loving this thread, TWilight and Fred you guys are RED's (like myself) and will always just go for it and figure it out as we go but we are always ready to get rolling !

I suspect screaminbanshee is a BLUE personality type thus planning is not only essential for him it's fun!

we need another BLUE to chime in on a strategy here to help screaminbanshee :)

Home :: ColorCode Personality Science take the FREE personality test

btw I dunno Fred he might not be a RED but TWilight I know is RED

I love Nevada 50 & 93 where signs saying "next gas 116 miles" aren't kidding !

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
I guess I must be RED! I love a road trip but absolutely hate a plan other than the final destination. I always fly seat of my pants and will be there when I get there. On the few trips when we ever made prior arrangements for lodgings along the route we were completely dissatisfied with the places we picked using those on line route planners. It sure didn't look like a flea bag motel in the pictures. I highly doubt that fuel will be much of an issue unless you are searching for a particular brand or Non ethanol along the way. Making us go by a clock completely ruins the concept of a road trip for us but one thing we have learned the hard way is to start the search where ever you are at no later than 6 PM for lodging. We have found excellent meals at hole in the wall eateries and lousy meals at 3,4 and 5 star rated places. I say just put it in drive and go!

GaryL

·
Registered
736 Posts
if you want a scenery kinda drive...and have time.. I would head up to US 6...then cross PA that way. Its a nice road, lots of places to stop, but not the fastest way. You will still have to use some hiways here and there. then you could take 17 in NY... these are the old roads before the interstates were finished up. GaryL will know 17 as the old 'Southern Tier expressway'..it still is 4 lanes in some places.

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
If I was going from his Point A in Ohio to point B in NH I would stay north and follow Lakes Erie and Ontario. Route 5 in NY up to Route 104 along Lake Ontario and then go through the Adirondacks on Route 28 over to Bennington, VT. Go through Keen NH and on to Pittsfield. My route is likely twice as long but I always figured it is not the destination but all about the ride. Lots of nice scenery along my routes and going through the mountains in NY, VT and NH are spectacular rides.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
How the hell am I a "blue"! I would never plan my trip in advance for a long one day ride. Never!

I would however agree with the definition of a "blue" as being perfectly descriptive of my personality. Must not be settled science yet.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
How the hell am I a "blue"! I would never plan my trip in advance for a long one day ride. Never!

I would however agree with the definition of a "blue" as being perfectly descriptive of my personality. Must not be settled science yet.

Tom

did you take the test and it said Blue ?

I Blue description I like is they are like facts and figures they don't like gray area

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
did you take the test and it said Blue ?

I Blue description I like is they are like facts and figures they don't like gray area
I did take the test just before posting and it said blue, which I generally agree with. Maybe I have a red wild hair

Tom

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
I did take the test just before posting and it said blue, which I generally agree with. Maybe I have a red wild hair

Tom

Where?????

GaryL

·
Registered
3,107 Posts

Tom

we all have a primary color but we can also have a strong secondary so there is crossover but chances are you are wearing a shirt with a collar as you are typing these posts - if you so are a Blue lol

Home :: ColorCode Personality Science take the free personality test

this is the single greatest tool I've ever found for understanding others, girlfriends and myself

I'm 95% Red 5% Blue zero White Zero Yellow - even with 5% Blue I still enjoy a little planning but not too much it's always time to roll lol

1 - 20 of 42 Posts