TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the spring of 2014 I took a ride on my sons Harley and I was hooked. In the span of one month I had my motorcycle endorsement and a 2006 TW. I've enjoyed it for the last three seasons and I will always own it.
Today I took about a 25 mile ride on my friends 2003 Harley Fat Boy. Wow what a difference in power. :D
Now I want another bike...I should have never rode it.
What is about these damn motorcycles that jam us up so bad. :laughing9:

IMG_5915.JPG

A funny picture of my Step Son Chris

IMG_5900.JPG

·
Registered
416 Posts
It's called "wind in our face"! A little taste is like tequila, a little is good, but more is better. Or, so we think! :p

·
Registered
556 Posts
I hear you!
I have turned down the last three offers to ride friends bikes when I let them try mine.
Only because I know that I would like the bike and want to get one.
I have too many bikes now, I don't want to be tempted to get another one!
No, I can't sell one and replace it, I love all my bikes and plan to keep them until I can't ride any more.
And maybe a few years after that too...

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Pred,

Before you fall in love with the Fatboy, be sure you want a cruiser.

That Fatboy, (1344 cc) in stock configuration, has about 65 hp. You can make it better.....for a few thousand dollars in Stage kits.

By comparison, my SV650 had about the same hp, and was 1/2 the weight.

I rode an '08 Softail Deluxe for several years. (basically the same motor and frame as the Fatboy). With its big wide seat, It was the most comfortable bike I've had.....though it's 3" suspension travel was lacking.

I never could get used to all the mechanical noise coming from the engine/transmission. It sounded like a bucket of bolts.

Maybe that's why H-D riders like loud exhausts.... ;)

jb

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure if I'm serous about another bike but I sure enjoyed the ride today. My friend Steve's bike didn't fit me with the handle bars so far forward that my hands fell asleep after the first couple miles.
I guess if one of those deals comes along where I can ride then make money on the bike. I may take a shot and buy it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I used to have a vstar 1100 custom. While it had some advantages with power over the TW, I simply never felt comfortable with other drivers on the sort of roads where that power would be useful.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I take serious offense, at your use of the term "too many bikes".
I simply cannot fathom such a situation.
:)
I hear you!
I have turned down the last three offers to ride friends bikes when I let them try mine.
Only because I know that I would like the bike and want to get one.
I have too many bikes now, I don't want to be tempted to get another one!
No, I can't sell one and replace it, I love all my bikes and plan to keep them until I can't ride any more.
And maybe a few years after that too...

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
815 Posts
I think one needs at least two motorcycles to cover bases. Having more than you can ride is indeed a sign of a "problem". However it is a problem that will keep you from having too much money and is far less damaging a problem than drinking, drugs or fornifycation. When things get wierd, remind your wife of that. Avoid the trap of "flipping" motorcycles , IMHO you'll not make money and end up frustrated. With technological advances it is nice to rotate in new units to take advantage, things like anti lock brakes are indeed an improvement in safety. Above all enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I do not understand the obsession with Harleys. I had to ride one last month for a charity event, and it took me three days to feel my privates again The ride was as unpleasant a thing as I can imagine short of a colonoscopy. For big bike power I get on my '86 V65 Magna and go from zero to 100 in 7 seconds, in a relatively quiet, dignified, V4 kind of way.

But hey, I know it's a V-twin kind of world.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
545 Posts
FLH is a 84, last year for the shovel, Belt drive and a nice cruiser which if you haven't ridden one, They are very easy to ride at low speeds, Quite at home at 10 Mph,
4 speeds and not a high top speed and a low seat height,
I have a 72 BMW R-60 which I like too,
The FLH does ride nice, Drags floor boards real nice and feels well balanced,
I ride the TW and FLH about equal hours,
If anyone is ever in Phila, Im happy to toss you some keys.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Selling a bike is always a sad day. But the sweet side of that bittersweet is the bike you replace it with. Personally I have a bucket list of bikes i would like to own for a couple of years. Some you miss (BMW R75/7) some you can't get off fast enough, (70's era 883 chopper), but they all add to the experience.
With age I find my list changing some. Some years ago I spent my time on a large touring bike (Venture royal) and thought that I should own a modern goldwing. But I find I have lost interest in the largest side of biking. I think the TW has had something to do with that.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Although the other bikes I ride are quite different (not Harleys), I can definitely relate, especially on the note of power difference. Just getting on a 400 or 600 dirt bike or dual sport compared to a 200 is a real eye opener, haha. The most significant contrast occurs when I sample friends' high performance EuroTrash dirt bikes (and that is both a jesting/affectionate term of endearment, and a statement of truth to some degree, IMO, LOL). The 300 cc two stroke dirt bike really is a hard enduro weapon. Those great beasts will leap and bound all the way up nasty, monstrous hills in the time it takes a 200cc dual sport to get the clutch out of the friction zone ;D

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Selling a bike is always a sad day. But the sweet side of that bittersweet is the bike you replace it with. Personally I have a bucket list of bikes i would like to own for a couple of years. Some you miss (BMW R75/7) some you can't get off fast enough, (70's era 883 chopper), but they all add to the experience.
With age I find my list changing some. Some years ago I spent my time on a large touring bike (Venture royal) and thought that I should own a modern goldwing. But I find I have lost interest in the largest side of biking. I think the TW has had something to do with that.
It's a funny thing how we lose interest in things in life that at one time we were so passionate about. This new motorcycle chapter of my life has just got me a little revel up. The best part of this chapter is the friends I've made on our forum. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts