TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided at the last second that I would take a 3 day trip into the woods on the TW. Problem was that I had no way to carry my camping kit.
Good news was that I also tour on a bicycle . I have a few sets of bicycle panniers so I converted 1 set to fit the bike.
Built the struts from 1/2" cold role.....
I'll get into the specifics later . Thought I'd throw up a couple of pics before I leave.....Have a great weekend.

1015141185.jpg
1015141186.jpg
1015141183.jpg
1015141184.jpg
1015141191.jpg

·
Super Moderator
17,639 Posts
I was going to say the exact same thing as RBM, then I read his post...ha ha

Fine job Sir!! Fine Job!!

*with over 40 years of fabrication experience, I think, just maybe, even I, could make those!! ha ha Great Job bro. Let us know how they perform on your trip. I may just have to get out the tools bro...I like it, I like it a lot!!

Have fun on your excursiones into the woods.!! :D

·
Registered
291 Posts
That is exactly what I've been trying to picture! I knew there was a way, can't wait to hear some specifics, 'cause I'm stealin' this! :D

Have a great weekend!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Looks great :)
I saw the funniest luggage idea yesterday. A guy had one of those triangle aluminum trailer tongue boxes mounted on the back of a KLR.
If he falls over with that thing, he'll be one hurting unit...

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've had bicycle panniers hanging off the front cyclerack for years now. They work great, even at freeway speeds. Although a gallon of milk in one and a box of wine in the other makes for interesting steering. Luckily, the grocery store is right around the corner.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Had a good trip (Hot) but good . Rode all of the Nicolai Mountain riding area.
The cargo system worked really well for a system designed and assembled on the fly.
The bags are M-Wave bicycle bags that were modified to sling over the seat of the TW.
The stock bags are designed to fit a 5 " bicycle rack . The TW requires 14" sling over once the bag struts are installed. It's a good thing that I know how to sew.

1015141174 (5).jpg

The luggage itself is a fairly inexpensive 2 piece set consisting of the saddle bags and a top suite case style bag that buckles to the tops of the saddle bags with adjustable straps once the bags are hung on the bike.

1015141175 (5).jpg

This allows me to strap my tent and sleeping bag between the 2.

1015141190.jpg

Then my bed role and stool behind the bags on the rear rack.
The bike rode really well with the added weight , better than I expected , on and off the road. (50 lbs )
I will admit that it feels a bit crowded with all of the gear behind me on the bike. I had to adjust my riding style on steep down hills. I guess that's the price for turning a TW into a mule....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Once I had the bags modified to fit I then needed a strut system to lock them to the bike.
I designed the struts to keep the bags off the exhaust while allowing me to utilize the bags existing straps and buckle tie down system .

1015141178 (3).jpg

1015141177 (3).jpg

Using 1/2" cold role steel 2-3/8 " and 2-1/2" hard washers , then my rod bender I had them knocked out in about a half an hour.
The struts mount to the existing upper bolts for the rear pegs and the turn signal attachment point .

1015141187.jpg

1015141188 (2).jpg

The one thing that works to my astetic advantage is that the struts don't show to bad when not in use. And don't interfere with the normal use of the machine.

1015141189.jpg

All in all I'm pretty pleased with the system . It cost very little , I was able to adapt something I already had without destroying it ( the bags still fit the bicycle ), and it will carry all of the gear one would ever need on the road or the trail.
Hope you enjoy ...... Happy trails ...... Gregg.

·
Registered
928 Posts
...Built the struts from 1/2" cold role.....

View attachment 19279
How far away from the muffler did you make the brace? Did you notice any heating of the bag on that side? And did you drill holes in the steel bar, or weld tabs on for the connection points? <-- I posted this 2 seconds after you posted your detailed description. Thanks for sharing more pictures.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The struts are welded to the hard washers witch serve as tabs for the existing bolts.
I have about 1.5" of clearance between strut and pipe and I noticed no heating issues at all witch surprised me.
The inside of the bags are triple walled with a heavy vinyl material on the inside to prevent damage from road salts and debris.

·
Super Moderator
1,904 Posts
Bicycle panniers work great that is what I use as well. Like you, I had to make something for them to hang on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW.... I thought I carried a lot of stuff.... What all are you carrying on that poor little 200???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts