TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,964 Posts
oh man, this is insanity! Two little tiny bolts hidden up there in the mud between the seat and the rear tire fer cryin' out loud!

What have you done to effect a quick release seat on your TW?
Eliminated the bolts and placed velcro in various places. Now I just peel the seat off, it takes about 2 seconds. :p

·
Registered
285 Posts
With a 10mm nut driver I can remove the seat in a minute or two, though I don't really need to remove it that often. Having the Battery Tender Ring Terminal Harness and quick-disconnect helps. This connection can take power out as well as put it in, but it's fused at 3 amps, so don't overload it. I did, but a new fuse was cheap.

If I've got the facts correct our British Columbian friend Motoad lost his velcroed seat while hauling his bike to Moab, so if you go to a velcro attachment you might want to add a safety strap when trucking or trailering.

·
Super Moderator
17,964 Posts
With a 10mm nut driver I can remove the seat in a minute or two, though I don't really need to remove it that often. Having the Battery Tender Ring Terminal Harness and quick-disconnect helps. This connection can take power out as well as put it in, but it's fused at 3 amps, so don't overload it. I did, but a new fuse was cheap.

If I've got the facts correct our British Columbian friend Motoad lost his velcroed seat while hauling his bike to Moab, so if you go to a velcro attachment you might want to add a safety strap when trucking or trailering.
It actually takes a little bit of effort to peel mine off, but this is a great idea and had I been able to make Moab this year; I would have thrown a bungie over mine. ;)

·
Super Moderator
17,964 Posts
I pulled mine and cleaned, Anti Sieved and greased them and reinstalled,
How often do you need to pull the seat?
If you have a battery that needs checking once in awhile; that's about the only time I would take mine off.

·
Registered
20,189 Posts
Must be four or five threads on alternate seat retention systems but this is a classic with photos of most of the above mentioned ideas:
Mule Nuts?

Personally I just use a pair of 50mm bolts with jam nuts exposing about 20mm of threads to engage in the seat pan. This leaves about 30mm of bolt shaft and hex head protruding down below mud build-up to be turned with a 10mm socket. I previously tried the wing-nut idea but they vibrates out on the trail due to not being tightened enough.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Wow must have been a painful ride....

·
Registered
656 Posts
This has been an interesting little thread, but just for my purposes I use a small 1/4 drive ratchet with extender and 10 mm socket and seat off in approximately 1 minute max. I have removed my seat a ridiculous amount of times so I am good at it, having dealt with batteries and tenders and my apparent compulsion to put on and take off a cyclerack about once a week. Since I am allergic to mud it's not too messy. I do guess that if you have a lot of that crap to deal with then some of your solutions seem inspired.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I got some "industrial strength" Velcro...end of fender mount problem. ~$1.50.

The OE batteries on these are crap...keep it hot and it will last a lot longer.

Wire up a fused pigtail to charge the battery. No need to remove fender or battery for charging. ~$5.00
Stays on bike.

Get one of these to check battery voltage without removing fender. ~$14.00
Just plug it into battery pigtail. Remove when done, or leave it in place...it doesn't care.

Easy peasy...fender still on bike.

Have a cold beer...

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I just replaced my bolts with Allen heads and star washers....that way I can easily carry a spare Allen wrench in the kit for field removal. Pretty simple for the 2 times a year I might have the seat off.

·
Registered
546 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I misplaced the seat screws, so I set the seat down by tucking it in front of the Cyclerack. Fits great.

What is this "mud" you speak of? My 94 (the fastest, by far) has had a bit of sand on it. Is that like "mud"?

Except for a tiny spot of corrosion, and some scratched/missing decals, and a scuff here and there, my TW is in as new condition. Plastics coated with Pledge so the dust from sitting in the storage facility doesn't make a mess.

Do you mean to tell me that you people REALLY ride them in the dirt? All these videos and pictures aren't Photoshopped?

I thought the whole purpose was to dress them up to LOOK like real off road bikes! 14hp! Are you guys kidding me?

So, it shouldn't be treated like a show bike? No relentless spoke polishing sessions while watching reruns of the Flying Nun?

Uh oh....

·
Registered
319 Posts
oh man, this is insanity! Two little tiny bolts hidden up there in the mud between the seat and the rear tire fer cryin' out loud!

What have you done to effect a quick release seat on your TW?
Actually one of my design projects was to make a quick release locking seat for the TW along with a molded plastic tray that fits under the seat for storage.
I might have to resurrect this project.
I mold plastic parts and have a line of motorcycle aftermarket products I sell on ebay and through forums. Might need to do TW stuff.
ShapeMaster Inc. Plastic Thermoforming | Drape Forming | Vacuum Forming 800-779-6925

1 - 20 of 39 Posts