TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What slowed YOU down ? and when ?

Me I've had scary fast bikes and went faster than I should have but honestly I was never really fast only half fast at best.

What about you ?

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Back in 1972 while in the USN in Norfolk, Va. I bought a new Kawasaki H2 750 triple which at that time was touted as the fastest stock bike on the road. I immediately had the engine balanced and blue printed, ported and polished and installed a set of Bill Werges tuned expansion pipes. The bike ran like a raped ape and was scary as can be but only in a straight line. It was terrible on curves and for any real road riding, just fast.

Fast forward to around 6 years ago and my younger brother bought a new Suzuki Hyabusa he let me take for a blast. WOW is all I can say. My Kawasaki was quick but nothing in comparison to the monster Busa. 150 MPH was a very easy speed to hit and there was plenty left but not by me. Certainly not Half Fast IMO but then a buddy took me for a drive in his Porsche 911 Turbo and scared me even worse hitting over 170. I am much happier on a TW doing 50 these days.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
lol.. I thought you were a young kid.. :)

I got a speeding ticket last year for doing 97 in a 65,
Not as bad as you might think since earlier on the same 2 lane I was going a bit faster,
It was a lucky day for me.
Im 50

·
Registered
762 Posts
What slowed YOU down ? and when ?

Me I've had scary fast bikes and went faster than I should have but honestly I was never really fast only half fast at best.

What about you ?
Good topic.

I've gotten faster than my talents intended, twice. First time, was trying to bounce back after my horrific wipeout...I'd been riding a year. I found a Kawasaki triple two-stroke...knowing NOTHING about them. I disremember the size; I think it was a 500. Don't recall the year, either.

Those in the know, know that the chassis on those 1970s Kows were nothing to write home about. It was like a bunch of Japanese kids hung an outboard motor on a cheap bicycle frame. There was NO sorting of the chassis; yet the power was insane.

It was not the kind of ride for someone trying to unlearn fear. I sold it, taking a loss, and hanged up my helmet.

Time goes one; and I got back into riding. My fiftieth birthday present to myself. I worked myself back up...starting at a Virago 250, and up to a BMW R1200 GS. THAT was fast - oh, and a well-worked chassis, too. And HEAV-YYY...over 700 pounds, IIRC. Tall, too.

I got it up to over 130, a couple of times...on South Dakota rural highways. Now I can say I done it.

What took me off that...was my health.

South Dakota was a temporary job, albeit a good-paying gig. When that was over, I was outta work again...and I had an interview to do in Dallas. I took the R1200.

That was right when that tornado hit Joplin, Missouri. I was traversing my way from Michigan to Dallas, and five days after it hit, I was just outside town.

Got a motel that night...which was a lucky strike. Next morning my leg was ON FIRE. Looked and felt like textbook phelebitis.

There was NO clinic or ER or physician available. I'd have had to go to the local ER and be put in triage, and wait maybe days.

And, with a swollen, painful leg...getting on that monster bike was REALLY dangerous. Every stoplight was to be dreaded. I wondered what would happen if I lost feeling in the leg and couldn't mount or work the controls or stop it...or if I had an issue and collapsed while moving on the thing.

Didn't matter. My only choice was to get to Dallas or die trying. As it happened, by the time I could get to medical care the issue had subsided and to this day I STILL don't know what I had. But that told me: I'm too old for this; this is too much machine.

I stepped down and continue to do so. A Honda CB1100; and now my Wee-Strom. And I had a TW and liked it; and I expect I'll get another soon.

·
Registered
715 Posts
2002 Suzuki Hayabusa in traffic doing around 75mph - hit a sod roll because I didn't have time to react. The bike managed to "pop" right over it, but the skid marks are still present. :D No more following traffic for me, now I usually cruise 5mph faster than the traffic speed.

I had that bike up to 170mph for about 10 seconds - mind blowing to go that fast. (for me)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Hit a German shepherd while doing about 65mph on a Honda CB160 when I was about 14. 50 years have gone by since then and I still remember the yellow center line sliding by my face as I slid down the pavement. And I still remember how fast that dog came out of nowhere onto the road in front of me. With that memory I still twist the throttle of my FJ 09 to the factory top speed limiter on occasion....

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I've watch a bunch of Youtube vids of bike crashes. Someone either turns in front of you, or they are self induced crashes with the biker being an idiot on the street. That's what slows me down. The bikes I now own are not rocket ships, just good reliable fun machines with old tech engines. I'd rather have the low and mid range torque over tons of peak HP any day.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
About 1981 or so, I was on my FLH at about 80mph, when I got a rear blowout. The bike did a bunch of dancing and I ended up riding it like a sled, sitting on the leather saddlebag with both hands having a deathgrip on the right grip. Got some burns, the bike got some scrapes (ground off half a grips worth of bar on the left side), Primary cover wore through, oil all over but I was alive.

Well, that didn't slow me down that much.
Shoot forward to 1988. Rode a friends big Gixxer on a local street. Told him it handles like shit. He said I was supposed to keep the front wheel on the ground if I wanted it to handle.
Went out and bought one that afternoon.

So, I was drag racing on the back road to a local airport with the Gixxer... Had the forks tied down with cam lock straps, all the boy racer stuff. Flipped a coin for lane choice. Got the left lane. Was racing a two stroke something or other. Lights off. Flag dropped..... We left together. Went hard through the gears. Mid Second gear, I pulled away fast. Near the end of the track, I thought I saw something on my right, but didn't focus. As I slowed, I saw no one on my right side coming up.
Turns out, a guy was stealing an airport van, didn't have the lights on, pulled in front of the guy in the right lane. They said he narrowly missed me. The other guy was not so lucky. He hit the van at well over 100mph, went through the sheetmetal and basically cheesegratered himself and the bike. The inside of the van looked like it was spray painted red.
Haven't drag raced since then. But I do take them up to 100mph or so, if they can make it. Always properly prepared, no old rubber, etc.
Did take the '14 SRT Cherokee (Suzy's grocery getter.. She wants the 707hp when it comes out) up to an indicated 147mph on the way to Florida a couple of times... Supposedly speed limited at 155, but I never got it there. Guess I'm a quitter.

Since getting the Denali with the 6.2 gas motor that is speed limited to 100mph, it really isn't that much fun anymore.. Damn truck has PLENTY left in it, too.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
fly by wire has all of us limited now.... even those 296kph sport bikes... new stuff has to have the ECU re-flashed to get it's potential

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Try even accessing the computer in a GM product and say goodbye to your warranty. They now log ATTEMPTS to access. My Buddy is a Zone Rep. Gave me the details..... Boo.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I won't give up the air conditioned seats.

What a shock it was to get in my old 86 GMC to run around town. Doesn't even have air conditioning.

Damn, we have all gotten soft.

I have a 1997 F350 (460 gas not diesel) and a TW. Oh and I am restoring a 1957 Willy's pick up. No Fly by wire for this kid... Except the Wife's car... I will not give those amazing heated seats on long trips.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts