TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled across a video about "Jetman" on youtube a few months ago and it blew my mind but it is insane so nothing I'd want to do myself but then I found Youtuber Trent Palmer and his KitFox bush plane experiences and got captivated but just this week I discover another Youtuber Tucker Gott and his Paramotor experiences watching him flying the "Icarus" race from Montana to Utah flying over Moab and Arches Par etc

Finally heres Tucker flying around Windsor AZ and the meteor crater etc what do you guys think of this ?

Fairly inexpensive flying and it allows you to get to those remote places you just can't get to any other way

When I drive from LA to Phoenix along the 10 freeway in western AZ near Quartzsite theres a mountain line south of the 10 with a beautiful rock arch I have always called the "Gunsite" and I often wondered if I could ride a TW up there or get taken up by copter etc it just draws me like a moth to a flame I have no idea why but maybe one of these back country fly rigs might be my chariot to the skies

Trent Palmer in Red Bluff CA

Jetman Oh man if I was younger lol)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Trent Palmer's videos are fantastic!

Several of my friends do that type of flying, and it's certainly appealing to me. Those planes are like flying ATVs!

My plane is more comparable to a flying pickup truck. It's bigger and heavier, and while off-airport adventures are not out of the question, I still need some degree of improved landing surface to make it work. The flip side is, I'm a heck of a lot faster, and can carry a lot more weight (passengers or gear).

Here's a guy who uses a plane like mine for back-country flying, and he's really good at it... but with the money he's spent on upgrades, he could have just bought a second airplane:

I'm undecided about powered parachutes... I suppose they are comparable to flying trail bikes. You'd have to trailer it to your base camp, then you could spend the day exploring the area.

Any way you do it, if you have the urge to fly, you owe it to yourself to give it a try! :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
234 Posts
D39722D5-88E7-42D9-9F2F-3B0028ABF655.jpeg

I flew this gyroplane for 8 years before a blocked carotid grounded me.

I used to say that flying my gyro was the most fun you can have with your hand between your legs and not go blind!

Then, I discovered the TW200.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I flew foot launched paragliders for about 8 years. a very stimulating activity.... I quit before I got hurt... it is an extreme sport.... put my first instructor in the ambulance with a broken leg and fractured pelvis on the third day of a training course for beginners. the air is like white water except you can not see the turbulence.

·
Registered
19,432 Posts
Have seen those butt fans occasionally around Moab and San Rafael Swell, seems a good match of machine and destination other than the noise.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sold a few TW's to the folks at Quest in Sandpoint Idaho and they gave me a tour of the Kodiak assembly line which is basically a flying Sprinter van but starting at 2.5 million I doubt I'll buy one anytime soon! Seems like they said it can fly as slow as 35 mph and as I recall has a 750hp turbine standard
https://questaircraft.com/

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I remember being enamored by the Benson Gyrocopter as a kid!

I'd love to own something like the KitFox and might end up with one but the more I look at the Paramotor the more interesting it is

The first video I watched with Tucker Gott I was blown away he was casually talking the entire flight while skating his feet across the ground in New Jersey where he is from I figured it would be so loud you could not hear a thing and would need ear plugs but then again it has a muffler on the 125cc motor and it's about the same distance away as a TW motor and we can talk on TW's

I've now watched 50 Tucker videos and watched him fly the 1200 mile cross country Icarus as well as most states between the florida keys and Arizona and he's flying all the places I'd love to fly

In the Icarus race he was covering about 300 miles a day and 8 hours fly time

Honestly the idea of parachuting always made me sick I have zero interest in jumping from a still good flying plane lol

The owners of Blackhawk Para gear builders said the average age of new Para buyers is 55 years old weighing 210 lbs

·
Registered
19,432 Posts
Paraglider observation learned:
Repack and test deployment of your reserve chute frequently. Those things can get compressed, ignored, sat upon or crushed in your gear bag over time and then envelope may not open when needed. I think I scared a buddy pretty good once when I insisted he gear up and demonstrate his equipment and technique after noting his reserve looked somewhat crushed when helping him load his gear. Try as he may he could not get the clips to release, even taking chute off with both of us tugging on it that thing seemed welded shut.
He never needed the reserve, but quit the sport a few years later and went back to something safer like solo mountaineering.
They say if both the main and reserve fail simply take them back for free replacements.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I flew a powered parachute for about three years. Was a blast to go up a buzz around the Puget Sound. Good bunch of folks at Arlington airport so made it quite easy to get needed instruction. Only problem with the powered parachute was needing a decent place to fly from. I've looked at paramotors and that seems like it would be a hoot except for the airspace restrictions when you fly part 103, ultralight.

Took a tour of the Kitfox plant when they were still in Nampa, ID. Couldn't convince the wife to get into a cloth covered airplane. She just wouldn't go there. If I could I would build a Zenith 750. It comes in a STOL version and a Cruzer version. Not sure which one I would need. Something I knock around from time to time. The build times have come down a lot from what they were not so many years ago. Just need to find some spare change and I'll be start building.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RE reserve chutes I agree Fred I'd repack mine regularly and ooen it and let it breathe when nt in use I was just thinking about that yesterday

I have never seen where the reserve chute is they say they have one but it's not on ther person so it has to be in the rig somehwere though I've never seen it

Tucker did comment that his reserve chute is huge bigger than it has to be buut his job out of high school was parachute packing

RE building the Kitfox I will not build my own I'll find a meticulous skilled builder and buy his rig when he hits hard time

Arizona where I live is an ongoing sags of old fellers trying to sell off all their crap before they die or their widows fire selling after they are dead the daily deals here are astouning

Rent storages and talk with the folks storing their stuff you hear about all kinds of fire sales usually due to health

The lady next to one of my storage units sold their Prevost for $150k they had pad $370k and put $400k into it she gave the $55k value owned storage condo to the buyer as a gift, free of charge he sold the unit 24 hours later for $48k cash

I'm going to lease a hanger at 2 local airports and I'll rub elbows with the flying crowd

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
back in 2014 I bought a TW out in Joseph Oregon way out in northeast OR

To get to the guys home I had to drive 16 miles on dirt road through rolling grass hills mainly farmland and 6 locked livestock control gates finally arriving at his small but very custom geodesic dome house high on a hill. I'd say he was 40 miles from the nearest podunk store and 60 from a real town. He had a beautiful STOL plane he had built himself with the big balloon tiires and he landed on the grass in his yard

I admired the beautiful plane but really didn't give it much thought until this week but it was probably a KitFox although I thought it was aluminum maybe the Cub etc is made of aluminum I don't know

The guy lived in WA state on the Olympic peninsula ad flew to his vacation home often

His place was very secluded but just bare farmland not really my cup of tea but he had a little John Deere 110 4x4 mini backhoe and lots of other cool top shelf toys

TW owners are never boring thats for sure!

·
Registered
19,432 Posts
Personally this is more my flavor. Have been following development of these Russian skid steers for a decade and now they are for sale worldwide.
[video=youtube;WrjjV6nGh0g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjjV6nGh0g"]

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
19,432 Posts
A little over a million dollars if he discounts his labor. The 20 plus minute build video lists some pretty impressive features like airliner landing lights, rear facing artificial sun, fuel pick-up in the wheel struts, wingtip skids,etc...

However the Sherp is more mainstream and cheaper than a lot of built Jeeps, a little north of $50K.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts