1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
100_3640.JPG

100_3641.JPG

What do you guys think? :(

Knock the valve out, plug the hole with some JB Weld, and it should be good as new, right? :D

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Dont forget to jb weld the valve back together...

Reactions: TW-Brian

·
Registered
188 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
:( bummer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Duct tape should fix that, no nee to go all out with the JB weld.
Awww come and get modern. Use zip-ties or Velcro! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
i hope that is a donor bike, and not your trusty '05, or you'd have some work ahead of you before the cow mt roundup!

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Get a second opinion. It may not be the piston.
Huh . . . . do you think it might be a carb problem?

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys, but here is the REST of the story.

This piston/valve combo is from a project bike that I picked up yesterday. It is a 2007 with 10,968 miles. I got it from a mechanic that works at a local dealership. He said that the original owner used it as a commuter and had recently brought it in for new tires, a new battery and a valve adjustment. He returned with the bike a few weeks later saying that it had quit on him. The bike would still turn over, but would not start (!?!?!).

When he pulled the head and saw the piston he said that he started laughing. This brought the other mechanics over who then could not come to a consensus on what was the cause of this failure. The mechanic bought the bike from the owner thinking that he would rebuild the top end and flip it. He told me that the engine on his truck needed some work so he needed some cash more than he needed a project bike so he sold it to me.

The timing chain is fine, the cylinder will need to be re-bored and the head itself may be salvageable.

Here is the REST of the bike.

100_3648.JPG

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
I have to quit over revving my bike. That picture is kind of scary.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I betcha that made a lot of racket for a second or two!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have to quit over revving my bike. That picture is kind of scary.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I am also guilty of that. I wonder if that was the cause of the failure, or was it some kind of defect of an internal component?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts