TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a fan of rectangular headlights on anything. I don't care if it's a DeLorean... I just think it looks like something straight out of the late 70s, early 80s... So I decided to just throw together something for the TW given the fact the back of the gauges don't look horrible when open to public scrutiny.

To keep things simple for now I just left all the metal bracketry associated with the OEM headlight and turn signals in place. I'm going to keep running turn signals because I don't want to get hit by cars.

I bought most of the parts from Moto Part Hub - Motorcycle and Scooter Parts because they had the lowest price on the headlight bucket.

I wanted a big round headlight to match my big round tires so I decided on an EMGO Lucas knock-off bucket that accepts an H6024 style 7" sealed beam ($26 - part# 66-65068). I also bought Fly Racing generic fork ears ($13 - part# 0504036). And since I didn't want to replace sealed beam headlights ever, I bought a generic Indian 7" reflector on ebay for 18 dollars that holds an H4 bayonet bulb. Then I bought an Eico brand 35w/35w H4 headlight ($4.50 - part # 48220-BP).

It took me a moment to round up bolts and washers to use to mount the headlight to the fork ears. It's SAE fine pitch 1/2" thread since this is British knock-off. Otherwise the H4 bulb just plugs right into the stock wiring connector and you're off to the races. The fork ears install with phillips screws and they are much nicer quality than I was expecting. Unfortunately, they're chrome. I may sand and paint them black. They fit the 33mm TW forks really well (and tightly.)

Here's the resulting look of my bike afterwards. I think it is approaching 'modern' looking compared to what it looked like when I got it (1993 TW200.)

No more rectangle light and a more clean 'standard' look to it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about turn signals. I'd like to get some round ones and mount them to the fork ears at some point, but the OEM work well for now.

light2.jpg light3.jpg

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dual 5 3/4" Bates buckets like on my Speed Triple would look interesting to say the least. Given the fact the one headlight is 35w, I think running two would be kind of counterproductive to my battery charging requirements haha.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Will the turn signal stalks fit in the holes on the headlight brackets?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The turn signals would almost fit into the holes in these fork ears. You'd have to drill the holes a bit to have them fit though. My plan is to find a better looking set of signals. I used the light tonight and it's as bright if not brighter than the rectangle one. Perhaps not as well dispersed to the ditches. I'm not really sure.. It wasn't different enough for me to notice it while riding it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts