TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I rode with Scotti158 last weekend I washed the TW, lubed the chain, and aired the tires back up a bit. Then I parked it. Jumped on it tonight to go run a service call and all was well. Five miles down the road all was not so well. Started losing power just going down the road so I instinctively rotated the petcock to reserve. Bike kept sputtering anywhere above a third of the throttle. No noises or any indication of a problem except sudden loss of power. Throttle responds perfectly while parked and in neutral, only seems to happen under a load. :mad:

Your turn.

Oh yeah 2013 no mods to the powertrain or fuel system.

Thanks in advance
Tom

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Did you use a pressure washer to wash it? My first thought is water in the fuel. I would top off the tank, add some Seafoam and try to ride and see what happens.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you use a pressure washer to wash it? My first thought is water in the fuel. I would top off the tank, add some Seafoam and try to ride and see what happens.
No pressure washer. Well water with poor pressure from the hose to boot. I will drain the carb bowl, pitch the fuel in the tank, and add seafoam to fresh fuel. That is a start at least. Probably will put a new spark plug in too. Just because;) Thanks for the advice.

Tom

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Welcome! A new plug would have been next on the list. Might not hurt to check the air filter too, make sure it's not wet.

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Too bad Tom. Anything like that incident which causes one to doubt TW's reliability can be really be un-nerving. I think it increases with the square of the distance from home or help. I have had a few mystery bogging or stalls and forever question whether problem is solved or is instead intermittent and waiting to come back and bite me. Your planned fresh fuel, plug and sea foam sound the the recipe for success. Better ride a lot this weekend to test and re-test., tell your family they will just have to understand, it is in the interest of science, safety, national security, blah,blah,blah....

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too bad Tom. Anything like that incident which causes one to doubt TW's reliability can be really be un-nerving. I think it increases with the square of the distance from home or help. I have had a few mystery bogging or stalls and forever question whether problem is solved or is instead intermittent and waiting to come back and bite me. Your planned fresh fuel, plug and sea foam sound the the recipe for success. Better ride a lot this weekend to test and re-test., tell your family they will just have to understand, it is in the interest of science, safety, national security, blah,blah,blah....
I do not doubt it's reliability. That much;) No seriously I don't. I am glad I was only five or six miles from home when it happened though. Just rode home slower than I rode away from home.

Another note to all. I did as I said I would and drained the fuel, added fresh fuel with a double dose of Seafoam then fired it up to get the juices flowing. I started to ride it down to the end of the road and back with no sputtering at all? Too soon for the seafoam to have made any difference that much is certain. Heat related maybe?

Tom

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Might have just been a drop of condensed water vapor finally making it's way from tank to cylinder.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Might have just been a drop of condensed water vapor finally making it's way from tank to cylinder.
Not to show my lack of knowledge but........... how much water would it take to get the bike to sputter for THAT long?

Tom

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
+1

Any water condensed/collected in the tank settles to the bottom of the tank, and eventually goes down the fuel line into the carb.

jb

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Not to show my lack of knowledge but........... how much water would it take to get the bike to sputter for THAT long?

Tom
Not sure of the amount. You didn't mention whether you had recently filled the gas tank.

It is possible to get a bad tank of gas directly fron the pump...happened to me, ...bike wouldn't run right til I drained the tank.

Are you still having cold weather in NY? Cold temperatures accelerate the separation of ethanol laced gasoline into gas, ethanol and.....water.

...just some random thoughts.

jb

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure of the amount. You didn't mention whether you had recently filled the gas tank.

It is possible to get a bad tank of gas directly fron the pump...happened to me, ...bike wouldn't run right til I drained the tank.

Are you still having cold weather in NY? Cold temperatures accelerate the separation of ethanol laced gasoline into gas, ethanol and.....water.

...just some random thoughts.

jb
No cold weather. Cool nights and hot day's though so there is that. I had about a gallon of gas still in the tank that has only been there about a week. It did get tipped over last weekend so maybe that got some gunk circulating.

No worries. Yet.

Tom

·
Registered
648 Posts
I've been experiencing a lot of bad gas in upstate NY this season. Tried Seafoam and that thing works wonders compared to a $6 bottle of generic fuel cleaner.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been experiencing a lot of bad gas in upstate NY this season. Tried Seafoam and that thing works wonders compared to a $6 bottle of generic fuel cleaner.
Yeah I am cool with the idea of a small amount of water in the gas causing this problem but........ This was very consistent for about 10 to 15 minutes. In my feeble mind that seems more like a blockage of some sort. Of course I don't know for certain. Maybe I will order in a new CDI and top end rebuild kit for it?:D;)

Tom

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've got a Yamaha generator that I've got to leave the gas cap loose when it's running or it likes to die after running 10 min or so. I did wind up with a batch of bad gas this winter
that it just wouldn't stay running on. After taking the carb apart for the 2nd time and finding nothing wrong, I tried different gas and problem solved.

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Wow Tom, you are right, 10 minutes plus seems way too long for a water related problem. I must have a brain blockage myself because no other causes leap to mind. If bike acts normally tomorrow try putting back in old plug and see if "sputtering lack of power" malady returns.

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
Tip over could be the tip OFF! My first suspect would be the petcock and inside the tank. I would remove the tank tip it and remove the petcock. Dump the remaining fuel into a white 5 gallon bucket so you can see what was in it. If the fuel was clean then move to the carburetor thinking the float bowl might have had some crude on the bottom that made it into the jets or pilot circuit. Any water in the fuel system always settles to the bottom of the tank or float bowl and can go unnoticed until you do a shake up such as a fall.

Look at it this way. Your fuel tank sits right above your hot engine. You ride a while and then shut the bike off and that evening the temps go down while your fuel is still warm, condensation forms in the tank and you have an issue. Clean it, Clean your tank, petcock and float bowl and then add an in line fuel filter and dose every tank with the recommended shot of seafoam. If you can buy non ethanol fuel where you are than do so. Any water in the system will cause problems because water does not burn--Period.

Good luck Tom but do let us know what you find when you dump the tank.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think we can come to the conclusion, never, ever wash your bike after riding with Scotti158!:rolleyes:
This is CLEARLY the most appropriate answer. :D My bike is clearly ridiculing my cleanliness. It shall pay dearly for it's insubordination! Where is the mud!?

Tom

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
I think we can come to the conclusion, never, ever wash your bike after riding with Scotti158!:rolleyes:
YUP! If your TW was faster he probably peed in your tank when you weren't looking.:p

GaryL

1 - 20 of 34 Posts