TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro dies at age 90 | Fox News

Now if Ohio State pounds Michigan for the 5th straight year {and 13th in the last 15) the Day will be a complete success....

Roast in Hell Castro....and take more than a few American Progressive Marxists with you.....:toothy3:

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Say what you will about Castro but he was a smart guy with political savvy to go along with his high IQ. It is better to understand one's enemies' capabilities and intentions than to dismiss them out of hand. A certain anti-capitlist dogma was required by Castro to maintain and support his pro-communist power base. Logically this was focused on the United States as externalizing one's problems is better than addressing domestic short-comings, just good politics."We must all sacrifice to fight the Great Satan". Sound familiar? Of course like all communist leaders he didn't live the simple collective lifestyle...Some pigs are more equal than others. Interestingly enough Castro belied the old notion that leaders of successful revolutions are often the first to be stood against the wall following victory.
Now I am not pro Castro or communism at all, had a good friend whose father never came home from the Bay of Pigs invasion. Just being pragmatic.
Hopefully a lessening of diplomatic tensions will result as Cuba has been accepting a lot of aid from Russia last few years ( witness massive build-up of Manzanilla port facilities, etc) and there are reports of Cuban military "advisors" in Syria operating Russian tanks, etc. Maybe Cuba can play both sides of the fence accepting US aid also as "Russia has now courted several other authoritarian governments in Latin America that comprise the so-called Bolivarian Alliance for the Peoples of Our America (ALBA), a bloc of nations formed by former Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez to oppose U.S. policies in the region."

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Let us not forget how Castro came to power. He rebelled against Batista, a brutal tyrant.
Note this from the wicked pedia
Fulgencio Batista Zaldívar (Spanish: [fulˈxensjo βaˈtista i salˈdiβar]; January 16, 1901 – August 6, 1973), more commonly known as Fulgencio Batista, was the elected President of Cuba from 1940 to 1944, and dictator from 1952 to 1959, before being overthrown during the Cuban Revolution. Fulgencio Batista initially rose to power as part of the 1933 Revolt of the Sergeants that overthrew the authoritarian rule of Gerardo Machado. Batista then appointed himself chief of the armed forces, with the rank of colonel, and effectively controlled the five-member Presidency. He maintained this control through a string of puppet presidents until 1940, when he was himself elected President of Cuba on a populist platform.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP] He then instated the 1940 Constitution of Cuba, considered progressive for its time,[SUP][3][/SUP] and served until 1944. After finishing his term he lived in the United States, returning to Cuba to run for president in 1952. Facing certain electoral defeat, he led a military coup that preempted the election.
Back in power, Batista suspended the 1940 Constitution and revoked most political liberties, including the right to strike. He then aligned with the wealthiest landowners who owned the largest sugar plantations, and presided over a stagnating economy that widened the gap between rich and poor Cubans.[SUP][4][/SUP] Batista's increasingly corrupt and repressive government then began to systematically profit from the exploitation of Cuba's commercial interests, by negotiating lucrative relationships with the American Mafia, who controlled the drug, gambling, and prostitution businesses in Havana, and with large US-based multinationals who were awarded lucrative contracts.[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP] To quell the growing discontent amongst the populace—which was subsequently displayed through frequent student riotsand demonstrations—Batista established tighter censorship of the media, while also utilizing his Bureau for the Repression of Communist Activities to carry out wide-scale violence, torture and public executions; ultimately killing anywhere from hundreds to 20,000 people.[SUP][6][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][8][/SUP] For several years until 1959, the Batista government received financial, military, and logistical support from the United States.[SUP][9]
After he won his revolution, Castro asked the U.S. for support, believing that we would support a country that like us had thrown off a dictator. The people in power in the US did not like that he had thrown out the mafia
and other corrupt persons who had supported Batistas regime. He then asked the Soviet Union for help and they welcomed him with open arms.
We, The U.S., created the problem that Castro became. Why do we not learn from our errors?
Castro wanted to be an ally of the US but we snubbed him hoping that without our support his rule would be short lived.
Rather short sighted I would say.
I had no love for what Castro became, but I remember that it was we who made him that way by giving him no other choice.[/SUP]

·
Registered
796 Posts
Did Fidel ride motorcycles? I know his bud Ernesto did until our Country killed him.
Irrespective of his politics, Castro managed to save his country from the ravages of American Interests, mostly in the form of United Fruit Company , US govt and yes Organized Crime. The majority of Cuban people had a rough time but faired much better than people in Korea, Vietnam, Puerto Rico, Philipenes, Iran , Chile, and even Hawaii. Not only did the US fail to ruin Cuba as it did those other places, but thanks to US non intervention, Cubas remarkable culture remains unscarred and a major tourist destination worldwide. I think that's what make so many ignorant Americans angry, Fidel proved to The World that you don't need American style "democracy" or capitalism to survive.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
...and the Cubans by and large are still skinny! Undernourishment tends to do that.:eek: McDonalds is starting to work on that. Here is their first Cuban franchise catering to tourists since few locals with their $9 per month wages ( for a 44 hour work week) can afford it unless they are some of the island leaders of the worker's paradise that are more equal than others. mcdonalds-in-cuba-01.jpg

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
"Fidel proved to The World that you don't need American style "democracy" or capitalism to survive." No they did not need democracy or capitalism, just $6 billion annually from the former Soviet Union.

Tom

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Did Fidel ride motorcycles? I know his bud Ernesto did until our Country killed him.
Irrespective of his politics, Castro managed to save his country from the ravages of American Interests, mostly in the form of United Fruit Company , US govt and yes Organized Crime. The majority of Cuban people had a rough time but faired much better than people in Korea, Vietnam, Puerto Rico, Philipenes, Iran , Chile, and even Hawaii. Not only did the US fail to ruin Cuba as it did those other places, but thanks to US non intervention, Cubas remarkable culture remains unscarred and a major tourist destination worldwide. I think that's what make so many ignorant Americans angry, Fidel proved to The World that you don't need American style "democracy" or capitalism to survive.

Horse Shit...The Majority of Cubans Hated that useless son of a bitch....why do you think those that left are celebrating in the streets now that the M~Fu**er is dead.....?

The same morons that supported Castro are equal to those morons that supported the Kenyan Pole Smoker, and Killary. Gutless, useless, freeloaders that are to lazy and to stupid to think or work for themselves...

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Fidel proved to The World that you don't need American style "democracy" or capitalism to survive." No they did not need democracy or capitalism, just $6 billion annually from the former Soviet Union.

Tom
You're right Tom...I suggest those that worshipped Castro the Asshole, move to Cuba, or some other 3rd world $hithole run by the Marxists...but like the Hollywood Clowns that said they would move if Trump was elected....they wouldn't follow through, they will continue to piss and moan and tell us all how great the left, Islamic Trash, #BLM, and Border Jumping Freeloaders are....:evil4:

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
My nephew is married to a beautiful gal of Cuban descent. Her family was exiled to the US back when Castro first took over and they hate him with a passion. They were wealthy and everything they owned was stolen from them upon his take over. Her family still living in the Miami area are the exact people from Cuba who are celebrating in the streets and she still has a lot of family still on the island.

Lets see if Trump can work some real magic here and get things straightened out with our closest neighbors. It is not the people but it is their government that needs serious fixing. Have we ever heard of any law abiding people ever immigrating to Cuba? Only criminals have escaped to the island and been welcomed with open arms by the dictators while he sends his own bad actors to our shores and even the Cuban people who are established here in the US don't want anything to do with the thugs.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
That guy had some staying power. Outlived and in power past 10 US Presidents and how many world leaders (Presidents, Prime Ministers, Dictators, etc) are still in power from the time he overthrew his government... none. Like those old USA cars and motorcycles on the streets of Havana he was a relic from another time. Just watching the movie "13 Days" last week about the Cuban Missile Crisis. Scary times.
When sanctions were lifted late last year Marriott, Hilton, Verizon all opened business offices in Havana.
Can a Trump Resort & Hotel be far behind?

DVR'd the Ohio-Michigan game and watched it last night. I was rooting for the Wolverines :( but it was an outstanding game none-the-less. I don't think I've ever seen a field penalty/unsportsmanship conduct on a college coach on the sidelines before.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That guy had some staying power. Outlived and in power past 10 US Presidents and how many world leaders (Presidents, Prime Ministers, Dictators, etc) are still in power from the time he overthrew his government... none. Like those old USA cars and motorcycles on the streets of Havana he was a relic from another time. Just watching the movie "13 Days" last week about the Cuban Missile Crisis. Scary times.
When sanctions were lifted late last year Marriott, Hilton, Verizon all opened business offices in Havana.
Can a Trump Resort & Hotel be far behind?

DVR'd the Ohio-Michigan game and watched it last night. I was rooting for the Wolverines :( but it was an outstanding game none-the-less. I don't think I've ever seen a field penalty/unsportsmanship conduct on a college coach on the sidelines before.
Harbaugh deserved it big time....I've tossed a few on Friday Night in my Officiating Career, try not to toss them out, but have booted a few Ass~sistants from getting 2 unsportman like penalties....in High School that is a $160 fine, lost of 10% of the season{players or coaches} and taking an on line sportsmanship class....Harbaugh needs to get a grip...

·
Registered
796 Posts
Ignorance is a great thing. Repeat a lie enough and it becomes truth by the democratic ethos. I used to think the majority of Americans disapproved of worthless conflicts like Vietnam, Korea, etc in retrospect nothing positive was accomplished and the US had to hang its head in shame. 10000 lives lost. Isn't that the final opinion? I always thought that's why folks rejected Nam vets at first, not being able to separate soldier from duty. And yet, one does hear of these wierd freaks that talk about what a great time it was to be out killing innocent people and destroying thier Country for no other reason than it was thier patriotic duty and they loved doing it. I find that pathetic and sad. Any wonder such people hate education and are racists? Are such dismal people really what make up America? I used to be around lots of Combat Vets from Vietnam, not one thought it was a great time and something to be repeated. I have a hard time understanding why my country is so filled with people with naught but hate for those less fortunate themselves and so lacking in ability to think for themselves, relying only on others for thier thoughts. It can't be just because of Christianity can it? E.g. "It don't matter cause we are going to heaven anyway", "God told us to use the planet it's for us" "Slavery is the best way we can give God to these poor pagans, it's a better life for them" Such attitudes seem to be in conflict with other values found in the Bible.
As we head into becoming a nation of Prison guards, prisoners , soldiers and wealthy people all seemingly willingly, one has wonder. Those who do not study History are indeed doomed to repeat it. Not just study history maybe but to LEARN from errors.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I am having a flashback to the discussion between Michael Corleone and Hyman Roth (Meyer Lansky). "Hey Mikey...were bigger than U.S. Steel...".
Me too but I was thinking about later in the same scene I think when they are dishing out the birthday cake Michael commenting on observing the rebel taking out an officer and others with a grenade and what that observation meant to him... "they (the rebels) can win".

1 - 20 of 57 Posts