TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Another stump the expert quiz, this one from the Gem State. Another little known national park.
Imagine you are in a seemingly featureless, endless, broken basaltic plain under a searing Idaho sun. Hot black basalt burns through your tennis shoes, ground temperatures are ridiculous, air temps hover around 100. Then you drop through a small opening only to find caves with smooth ice covered floors and you go sliding across last winters frozen meltwater from the previous summer. Cool, dark, refreshing...makes you want to play impromptu hockey with a stone. Troglodyte nirvana! Who's been here?..
. images-3.jpeg icecave.jpg Cinder_Temperature_0002.jpg 5121599840_e052b955bd.jpg 10_Lower_room_filling_up_with_ice.jpg

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
"XXXXXXXXXXX", about halfway between better known Gand Tetons and Sun Valley. You really have to hop and keep moving when the ground temps get above 140. I briefly stood on my pack for relief. Was there visiting a Ranger friend employed there during hight of summer, not a soul stirring other than us..he had key to locked gates protecting some caves so I got the special tour. The temperature contrast was enough to make one dizzy.

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Right you are Mr.B, so I restored anonymity for awhile longer. This one is a little out of the way for your average visitor so no surprises if non-idaho types do not recognize the setting. I listed this since I was in a cave-man mood and imagery of heat baked landscape would be in contrast to your Arctic Blast.

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You being subtle? Huh! Since when mister straight shooter?:p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts