TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
To early to be teasing us here in NY. Ice won't be safe for a while yet except on the small ponds. It is very rare that I ever get on the ice much before the first of the year. Some year the ice never gets safe enough if we keep getting warm spells in between cold ones.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
How well do most people do ice fishing. I have been a big fisherman all my life and that's one way of fishing, I've never tried.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
How well do most people do ice fishing. I have been a big fisherman all my life and that's one way of fishing, I've never tried.
Ice fishing can best be described as "feast or famine". When you do locate fish, and the bite is on, there is very little open water fishing that can compare. Some days though the fish can be hard to locate and even if you do find fish they have a severe case of lock jaw. Either way it beats television. At least to me.

Tom

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
I have a sled that carries all my gear and has a pop up canopy attached, Clam Fish Trap Guide model. It is simple to pull on bare ice and a bear on deep snow. Ice fishing has come a long way since I was a kid. I have heat and can warm up nice pre packed meals on the heater. Once set up out on the ice I am sitting inside a tent with lots of comfort. Me and my dog love how peaceful it is as long as it is not too windy or super cold. Fishing is fishing and some days you can't buy a bite no matter what you try. Other days it is a real work out running for flags. It gets me out of the house and gives me the fresh air and exercise I love in the dead of winter. I always sleep real well after a day on the ice and usually eat a fresh caught meal before I crash.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
No ice yet in northern Indiana Fred. In fact it was almost pleasant yesterday. Not good for ice fishing, but very nice for working on the Cabin on Wheels. I have the rods all re-lined, the auger and shanty front and center and ready to go though. Might be January before we have safe ice here.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
BAH HUM BUG! 12/25/14. I am usually on the ice by around the first of the year in these parts. Took a nice drive to all my favorite spot yesterday and not much ice to be found. Temps are in the mid 40s for most of this week so it appears to be a very slow if ever fishing season here. In a few years past we never did get safe enough ice for me to venture out on.

What is the ice condition where you are?

GaryL

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
No Ice (50 miles south of Borneo}...none likely anytime soon...Sunny and 51 slated for today, think I will fire up the TW this afternoon and take a quick ride....:cool:

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
How about some pictures from last winter I'm intrigued.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts