TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read that those who'd like to swap their motor for a XT or TTR were out of luck unless they could resolve the issue of the drive shaft not being long enough....I wonder if a missile kit might solve this. The swing arm in the kit has two sprockets built in to transfer the drive train around a wider back tire.

I looked around and had no luck looking for a missile kit. IIRC they were discontinued after trikes became less popular but some small runs were released later...Missile kit bikes are too cool.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
That is a great idea. And they are waaaay cool. If you can find one. Any idea how much they sold those kits for?

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
There were various jack shaft kits back in the 70's that were of a bolt-on, or weld-on home installation that accomplished the same goal. A complete assembly like the Missile Kit for the TW would be a rare find. However since the technology never swept the aftermarket, or custom bike industries there likely were reliability other issues. Too bad.
Youtube has lots of jack shaft related videos for "How-To" inspirational guides to custom build your own,.. just need some pillow blocks and bearings, some shaft, a few sprockets, some chain and a whole lot of attention to detail while welding.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That's interesting! I've never heard of it before.

View attachment 145834

View attachment 145842

I think the BW350 used a similar system:

View attachment 145850
Yeah that's the swing arm there. I've never noticed it on the BW...cool. I could be way off but it seems like it's worth looking into.

There are some really cool/crazy missile kit fat bikes out there...Once I came across a 650cc. I find it hard enough not to drift off dirt roads on turns with a stock tw but a 250cc would be awesome.

I couldn't guess at the price of one of these kits if you could find one....more incentive to learn how to weld.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
It's not terribly hard to add the extended output shaft I remember TWBrian seemed to have a line one somebody who modified TW shafts with an extra groove or two to allow them to work but Bill in Gold Beach OR has designed an output shaft extension that works great and doesn't require taking the motor apart

Missile kits were never cheap and now a collectors item plus as an owner of a dozen Big Wheels I don't want the beach ball back tire or a jack shaft to have to deal with the extra weight and maintenance issues etc involved with it

Look at TWBrians 2007 TW with the new Duro II and Trailer wheel and I think you'll see the perfect TW IMO anyway

I'll stick with the spoked rim and a 2" extension on my swingarm and I think it will work very well and keeping the "TW Look" so to speaK"
Heres a YZ426 with a custom missile kit (I really need to sell this it's way too crazy for my riding desires) instead of a trailer wheel it uses a standard ATV wheel and tire
SAM_6045.JPG SAM_6054.JPG

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I bet it’s virtually impossible to keep the front tire on the ground with all the power and rubber on that YZ. Placer where do you find all these cool bikes?
Yah I won't ride it I watched the guy who built it ride it unicycle style all the way down his block and back and that was enough test ride for me lol

comes with matching sand tires too
SAM_6813.JPG

RE using BW swing arms on a TW I think it's possible I've done some preliminary measuring and both the BW200 and BW350 parts could work

The catch is why not just buy a BW and add a Tri-Z disc front end and you'll have a very strong machine they have a frame design thats probably 10 times stronger than the TW in the rear section

BW350's had the monoshock the BW200 uses twin shocks so you would need to reinforce a mount for the shock

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not terribly hard to add the extended output shaft I remember TWBrian seemed to have a line one somebody who modified TW shafts with an extra groove or two to allow them to work but Bill in Gold Beach OR has designed an output shaft extension that works great and doesn't require taking the motor apart

Missile kits were never cheap and now a collectors item plus as an owner of a dozen Big Wheels I don't want the beach ball back tire or a jack shaft to have to deal with the extra weight and maintenance issues etc involved with it

Look at TWBrians 2007 TW with the new Duro II and Trailer wheel and I think you'll see the perfect TW IMO anyway

I'll stick with the spoked rim and a 2" extension on my swingarm and I think it will work very well and keeping the "TW Look" so to speaK"
Heres a YZ426 with a custom missile kit (I really need to sell this it's way too crazy for my riding desires) instead of a trailer wheel it uses a standard ATV wheel and tire
View attachment 145866 View attachment 145874
That bike is too cool and one of the examples I found in a google image search. Way more power then a big two wheeler can handle but nice to know you have it if you needed it. I would probably end up modding the throttle for more controlled response and putting a smaller front tire on but still very awesome.

I wonder how a bike like this would do in the snow...sand tires?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Could you share a few more pictures of the triple clamps and front axle/brake wheel set up ....... I would love to adapt a front fat tire to my WR forked TW!
the front and rear wheels are essentially trailer wheel mods like we talk about here on the forum except the hubs use ATV wheels which is what I would prefer if I ever got into a TW rear wheel mod myself.
The Triple clamps are simply 1" alum flat stock machined with fork tube holes and a triple tree stem
SAM_6838.JPG SAM_6847.JPG SAM_6831.JPG

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I didn't realize that you ended up with this bike.

Add a lighting kit, an electric starter, a kickstand and a California plate, and I would be interested in it :cool:!
I got a wild hair and bought it when the guys who owned the business called it quits I'd like to sell it or trade it for a TW to get it out of my storage but I paid $4k hard for it so it wasn't cheap. I thought the sand dune guys would buy it but haven't had much luck I only get calls from the 17 YO backwards baseball hat crowd who have no money lol

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Talking about the TTR or XT225 engine swaps for the TW here's the shaft extension the gent from Gold Beach Oregon designed

I bought 2 of them planning to have (2) XT or TTR motors built buy a guy in Cali but I got tangled up in moving and selling my shop so the project got shelved

I know the designer wanted people to test these and report back and I haven't seen any further posts from him in a while but I know he was testing a few. You run a TW side case and the only trick was figuring a way to lube the outboard support bearing in the case. He was using grease and I was thinking of using the Scott-oiler on the TW I got from TWilight but I think occasional greasing would work fine

I found a machine shop that says they can build these much cheaper than the designers first run which cost me $300 each I think we could get the cost to half that with a run of say 50 pieces but it's not my design so I'll pass the info on to the designer if he decides to market them

I think it's a really cool idea where you could swap motors between XT's TTR's and TW's by swapping the side covers
SAM_9149.JPG SAM_9147.JPG SAM_9148.JPG

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Placer - contact the producers of the next Mad Max movie if you wanna sell that YZ. Cheers
Yeah and if you're lucky you might get a job engineering vehicles for the next movie...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts