TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noise suddenly appeared.

Checked and adjusted valves, checked cam chain, and auto adjuster seems to be fine.

Fresh oil and filter.

Cant seem to identify exact location of the noise. However may be more pronounce of cam chain side of engine.

24000 miles on a 2009, owned since new.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Noise suddenly appeared.

Checked and adjusted valves, checked cam chain, and auto adjuster seems to be fine.

Fresh oil and filter.

Cant seem to identify exact location of the noise. However may be more pronounce of cam chain side of engine.

Any ideas?

Thanks
You have it set on private.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Noise suddenly appeared.

Fresh oil and filter.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Year of bike and miles? Like RBM said recheck your clearances if it is your 600 mi check I would have the dealer do it to keep the warranty good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I had to guess, I'd say you need to re-check your valve clearances.
I did three times. Seems as perfect as possible.

Ran engine with valve covers off and sound does not appear to be near head. Also used a long screw driver to listen with against my ear and I cannot pin point it.

I see your just across the dingmans bridge from where I am.

Know of any bike mechanics who I can bring it too?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I don'k know any mechanics, I do all of my own repairs. Are you sure you have the timing at top dead center? I always confirm by removing the plug.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
You have to do it cold and I pull the spark plug out and put a plastic straw in the hole and watch it go up and down.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Tighten the valve adjustments down just long enough to see if the noise quits. Loosen them up a lot until they begin to clatter and see if it is the same noise or a different noise. That way you can find out if it is a valve adj. problem or eliminate that so you can look elsewhere.

When you solve it I would like to know what you found.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Did you check the filter for the four holes? what type of oil did you use and how much did you put in?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you check the filter for the four holes? what type of oil did you use and how much did you put in?
Noise started prior to valve adjustment or oil change. Is correct filter and oil is the same I started with when new Mobil one.

Was riding and stopped at hi way exit and there was the noise.

Tried as suggested check valve adjustment, tighten all the way and also loosen and then readjust.

Noise remains.

Thanks for everyone's input.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks rbm!

Well tightened valves more then should be and losses more as well. No change in sound.

Listening with a wood pole and poking around the engine. Noise appears to be lower then valves. Almost want to say most on clutch side toward right side case.

Certainly a challenge.

Thanks all who gave their time.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Found the post from Procycle on the dr650 .
So, the noise occurs just off of idle, and seems to be from the top end. Between 1600-1900 rpm, it's making what sounds like a loud valve clack. Please help!

PC-That description matches a failing cam chain tensioner.

The fact that it is louder through the airbox may indicate it is a worn carb slide and/or slide guide.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Oh crap. That's the noise my TW had before the valve broke and piston and crankshaft got damaged. I'd take that to a professional and transport it by truck. My valves were hitting the piston over and over because of my inexperienced tinkering valve adjustment.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Oh crap. That's the noise my TW had before the valve broke and piston and crankshaft got damaged. I'd take that to a professional and transport it by truck. My valves were hitting the piston over and over because of my inexperienced tinkering valve adjustment.
Seriously?!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts