TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So does anyone have an idiot proof way to change the front tube because this idiot has already popped two tubes. My new 241 was shipped shrink wrapped so the beads still want to stay touching adding to the fun. The first tube was my fault I know better than to keep going when tired and frustrated but I did and I butchered it. Yesterday I took my time and properly installed #2 and it has a pin hole leak in it. I have not removed the rim strip and replaced it with tape but otherwise my method is almost exactly https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/how-to-change-motorcycle-tire I’m out of practice but I’ve never had such an issue before.

Any advice before I try round 3 after UPS brings my next victim tomorrow? I can still pop that one and buy a 4th and save money over what the local shop wants to install a tube. Thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
So does anyone have an idiot proof way to change the front tube because this idiot has already popped two tubes. My new 241 was shipped shrink wrapped so the beads still want to stay touching adding to the fun. The first tube was my fault I know better than to keep going when tired and frustrated but I did and I butchered it. Yesterday I took my time and properly installed #2 and it has a pin hole leak in it. I have not removed the rim strip and replaced it with tape but otherwise my method is almost exactly https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/how-to-change-motorcycle-tire I’m out of practice but I’ve never had such an issue before.

Any advice before I try round 3 after UPS brings my next victim tomorrow? I can still pop that one and buy a 4th and save money over what the local shop wants to install a tube. Thanks.
I would find a different shop. I just had a tire mounted for the expensive cost of 4$ today but it was tubeless and no balancing.

Option b would be to return faulty tube #2 and blame it on manufacturing defects, then try again

·
Registered
230 Posts
Try slightly inflating the tube once inside the tire before mounting . Not too much, just enough to get out the folds or wrinkles.
This will help keep it from flopping down & getting pinched by your tire irons. Be mindful not to insert the tire irons too far inside the tire / wheel when mounting. Check the edges of the tire irons for burrs or nicks that could be damaging the tube. Use plenty of lube .
Work slowly & have fun ;)
Good luck .

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Partial inflation was the problem with the first tube. My neighbor w/ the air compressor I borrow went out of town before I could borrow it so yesterday I broke down and bought a small inflator to use. I’m going to pull the whole tire off when I get a chance and check the rim thoroughly. The spoons are new since the old ones never got returned to me and have no burs.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Further clarification: partial inflation with the valve core removed.

You only need to put a bit of air in there so the tube takes shape and fits in the tire where and as it should so it is out of the way and not flopping about around the bead of the wheel where it gets pinched. For installing I also always use the flat side of the spoons, not the curved part.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
First thing I would do is leave a inflated tube in that tire for a day to spread the beads before I even try to install it. Before I put the second bead on I pull the valve core out and make sure the tube is tucked as far away as possible from the top bead by running my hand inside the tire. After I get the tire and tube installed I inflate and deflate it a couple times by taking the valve core right out with the hope that it will make the tube sit in all the right places.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Don't forget to watch parts 2 and 3 as they did not load for me above. I have never been able to get the valve stem in with that technique (which I used for over 30 years), but after attending a how to seminar on changing tires, I now put the inner tube in the tire first and then the valve stem through the rim and then the tire on the rim.

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
I’ld like to see Doug Schopinsky swap out an old dried up TW rear tire for fresh Trail Wing meat in under ten minutes . Clean, new, large diameter stuff is so much more flexible and workable compared to a 14” old tire whose bead has been glued down with old dried up latex FlatFix.
Nice helpful videos.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
You could see how he only used one iron and used very small bites on the last bead.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I like this guy's tire changing video.

Slight redirect as most people are telling Maddawgj how to do it. Wish I had a magic answer but everyone is providing all the useful tips I know or have heard.

Funny they mention duck tap instead of a rubber strip for the spoke protector on the rim. When I changed the rear tire on my XT several weeks ago the rubber strap broke. I used duck tape instead but didn't want to say anything in public thinking I'd be ridiculed to death on the forum. Then the guy in this video mentions the use of duck tape as a spoke protector. Ha, I feel vindicated.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
21" front tires are easy to do. If you want to teach someone how to change a tire those are the ones to start with, then progress to the rear 18 / front TW and then the rear 14" TW.

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
...then try the tire change using an actual flat tire that has seen some miles and has a normal collection of dings and grunge on the rim and tire. Motocross mechanics have the advantage of dealing with new, or almost new tires, tubes and rims that we rarely see unless you change the tires from a bike fresh off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Fred have tackled getting that worn out duro off, or are you waiting until it becomes a slick?

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
Old Duro is getting significantly worn but still affords good traction, tread bars are still about as tall as those on a new TrailWing. ;)
My tire machine can break down the bead and hopefully remove carcass but I am reluctant to go through risks of bead trimming and high pressure bead seating again for a new ATV tire. Cost/benefit ratio of a trailer wheel conversion is looking better every day.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmmm. I might have asked the wrong question. What tube do you all use on the front?

ive changes motorcycle tubes and bicycle tubes more times than I can count and never had issues. This time I tried it all, duct tape, baby powder and windex. The girl at the checkout was confused. Still a small pinhole. Rim is clean and smooth, spoons are new and smooth. So I though let me see something and grabbed the old tube. It doesn’t have many miles on it but since it sat for almost 4 years I wanted to change it. It sure inflated bigger than the 3.5-4x18 tubes 3 different places gave me and it sure went back in with out an issue. Have I been messing with the wrong sized tubes this whole time?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts