TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an '85 BW200 bike for cheap, it runs but I have to push start it.. the PO mentioned something on the kick starter broke so he removed it.. tired of pushstarting I took off the case cover to diagnose the issue and found that the idlegear and it's corresponding shaft is missing.

Here is the diagram showing the layout, I see the part # for the idle gear but cannot find a source or part # for the idle gear shaft. The shaft is the unlabeled item near part #11, #14 etc

Anyone have any info on where I could get this shaft?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Bought an '85 BW200 bike for cheap, it runs but I have to push start it.. the PO mentioned something on the kick starter broke so he removed it.. tired of pushstarting I took off the case cover to diagnose the issue and found that the idlegear and it's corresponding shaft is missing.

Here is the diagram showing the layout, I see the part # for the idle gear but cannot find a source or part # for the idle gear shaft. The shaft is the unlabeled item near part #11, #14 etc

Anyone have any info on where I could get this shaft?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Its called the Drive Axle, it holds your 5 gears and the other end hols your chain sprocket. Ck the 5 speed gear assembly. Is that the question?

Ronnydog

·
Registered
443 Posts
I would check your part numbers and if the question is where to get them

Get the actual Yamaha Part Number then head for fiches of TW etc. to see a match up

There is also an International MC Part shipper CCSM I think where you can get parts

for models other than the USA where they might have carried these models longer

There is also threads about adding a kick starter to Tw's that might have information

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mucho thanks for the info..

took off the clutch on gf's BW200 tonight and it appears the shaft that holds the idler gear is missing or just sheared off whatever the main bigger shaft is here..

Overall view of the case side, you can see the kickstart gear on the very left and the shaft that holds the clutch, but the one inbetween is now basically an empty "hole".

Close Up of the where the idler shaft/gear is suppose to be.

Previous owner did tell me he removed the kickstart and had to push start the bike, so this must be the reason why. Not sure if this is repairable (at least w/o splitting the case and putting in an all new shaft) so I'll just keep it push start I suppose.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
If you are still looking for the shaft, here is an option from Craigslist that might be affordable: 1989 TW200 Transmission Gears, etc

From the ad:

"This listing is for the complete transmission gear set from a 1989 Yamaha TW200 Trailway in very good condition. The bike had 4151 miles on it and was not running when taken apart. Good solid gears, no chipped or broken teeth. Shafts and splines are excellent, shift forks not bent. Bearings are like new."

Only $30 plus shipping!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts