TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Idle issue

4K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  VintageGW 
#1 ·
So, my 2009 TW 200 did not get any miles put on it last summer. I took the carb apart, cleaned it thoroughly, cleaned the jets and float, and put it back together. Also, changed the spark plug. Put new gas in the tank and Seafoam. Started right up! It wouldn't stay running when I would hit the throttle. I figured the throttle cables needed adjusting. I messed with them a while, but ran out of time. I take it to a local repair shop tell them everything I did and what I think I know it needs. Three week later, I pick the bike up. They tell me they had to clean the carb, take the tank off and clean the tank, change the spark plug and adjust the throttle cables. I got ripped off bad! However, they set the idle SO high on the carb the bike sounds like it is going to launch. When I put it in gear, it lunges forward HARD and fast. Is this an easy fix?

#2 ·
IMO , yes. On the left side of the carb you see the "choke " know , down below that is another knob with a philips head on it. With the bike warmed up / idling rotate that know counter clockwise.....it's tunable with your thumb and finger. Do not have your hand on the throttle while doing this. You should hear the RPM'S drop during rotation. If they didn't screw something else up , this should take care of the issue....I hope.

#7 ·
The pilot jet is most likely clogged up. It has to come out and be cleaned very well or replaced.

Reactions: jbfla
#9 ·
Re Reading your thread, I take that back about the pilot jet. You have a high idle and it lurches forward when you put it in gear..right? That's all? If so, lower the idle or take it back to the dealer and have them adjust it, it should be set according to the manual. On the lurching problem, TW's are known for sticking clutch plates. Once you have the idle correct and the next time you are getting ready to go for a ride, motor off, in first, pull the clutch and see if it rolls freely, it probably won't, so continue holding in the clutch and rock it back and forth in gear harder and harder until it frees itself and the bike will roll with it in gear and the clutch pulled in. You will feel when they let loose. Now start as normal and when you are ready to go, it should not lurch forward dropping it into first. Basically, I just live with that small problem, since it doesn't bother me a whole bunch.

Reactions: Fred and jbfla
#13 ·
Riding is only part of the TW thing, maintenance is the other part.

Stoeger1201, Just a hunch, but check the battery condition. If it checks out then on to a carb rebuild. There is no time like the present to learn to take the carb off and clean it thoroughly and rebuild with the kit referenced here or one like it. It is not hard and will reward you with improved performance and a new found ability. Riding is only part of the TW thing, maintenance is the other part. Learn these skills now and enjoy your TW much more! Dealerships and shops don't have your best interest in mind but you do, so get started. I have to agree that your first shop experience was not the norm. Also, check the technical help section for threads like these:

http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/591-carb-tuning.html

http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/881-tk-carb-photos-parts-identification.html

http://www.amazon.com/Shindy-Carbure...etor+kit+tw200

Reactions: littletommy
#14 ·
Let me see if I have this right. You just paid $350 to have your bike repaired and it took three weeks. You now have the bike back and it is still not running right and you are not dancing on the service managers desk? Instead, you are planning to take it to another dealer and spend more money just so they can walk all over you again.

Providing dealer number one actually did what they charged you for and claim they did, cleaned carb, tank, petcock and replaced an already brand new spark plug with yet another new one, I would have the bike running like it should in just a few simple adjustments-------Like it should have been before you ever paid the bill.

GaryL

Reactions: littletommy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.