TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Once again I am dipping my cup into the deep well of knowledge
available on this fantastic forum... Thanks to it's great members...

What idle speed ( RPM ) does the collective mind set feel is best
for our mighty little goats....

I know some members have put vast amounts of research into
this little engine.. Sadly the member I would normally ask is
no longer with us.....

My T-dub will idle very low. It will purr right along just above the snatch point..
I know this is not good for the engine.

At what idle RPM does this engine produce adequate oil pressure for a safe
long idle period ?

i admit I don't know as much as I should about the oil pump or
lubrication system of this engine as I should ..... Yet......
mike from N.C.

·
Super Moderator
6,039 Posts
"Snatch point" plus a little is good - mine is about "snatch point" and only a very little over that. Just enough to for "stability". When the engine gets warmer, it idles happily, when it's idling at cold, the "snatches" are few and far between, but there

Oil pressure is relative for a two valve thumper, a few rpm either way is not going to make any difference - it's only when you start to rev that it becomes important

Your ears and the "snatch" (nice description btw) will tell you all you need to know - go with your instincts, and don't worry about oil pressure ......

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
No idea what 'snatch point' means, but I set my idle to that point where the bike WILL idle when first started and choke is off. My bike will start without choke when the temps are 60 degrees F or above, without touching the throttle, but only if the idle is set right. Too slow and it will die. Once warmed up, the idle speed increases and I'm tempted to turn it back down, but then the next time I go to start the bike, I need to fan the throttle a bit until it warms up, or put the choke on half-way. I prefer to just turn on the key, tap the e-button and proceed with putting on my helmet and gloves as she warms up. When the idle speed increases, I'm off and running.
Not that it matters, but my digital tach says my idle is around 1200rpm cold and 1800 warm. The manual says 1350 to 1450.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
My T-dub will idle very low. It will purr right along at the snatch point..
I know this is not good for the engine.

At what idle RPM does this engine produce adequate oil pressure for a safe
long idle period ?
Any idle speed that will prevent the engine from dying is fine, and won't hurt the engine one bit. If your idle circuit is a bit rich and you want to idle for more than a minute, a slightly higher idle would be correct.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Well, Ski Pro... That's the difference between me and you. I know most everything about the snatch point and most nothing about the... uhhh, what was the OP asking about..

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Well, Ski Pro... That's the difference between me and you. I know most everything about the snatch point and most nothing about the... uhhh, what was the OP asking about..

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Man, you hit your head harder than the docs thought crashing that Van Van....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts