TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was away at the camp last weekend my bike started to rev up a bit and start to idle to high.I noticed that most times if I pulled out the inricher knob and pushed it back in that it would idle down to normal.Any ideas what would cause this? Also the last few weeks when I start the bike cold it idles high for a few minutes like it has an automatic choke then it's fine but now it's doing it much more often.I will first check for vacuum leaks but any other ideas would be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
17,996 Posts
Sounds like time for a strong dose of Seafoam...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to do that first thing when I get home.I hope it's not something that will require me to remove the carb again.I know it's not a big job but I had it off so many times last year that I just don't feel like doing it again for a while..I know..I'm a whiner!

·
Registered
187 Posts
While I was away at the camp last weekend my bike started to rev up a bit and start to idle to high.I noticed that most times if I pulled out the inricher knob and pushed it back in that it would idle down to normal.Any ideas what would cause this? Also the last few weeks when I start the bike cold it idles high for a few minutes like it has an automatic choke then it's fine but now it's doing it much more often.I will first check for vacuum leaks but any other ideas would be helpful.
At first blush I would suggest a sticking float valve but only a guess. I agree that taking the carb out is a painful event but after you check for vacuum deals, it may be the next best thing to do. As much as I like the seafoam route, the ultrasonic cleaner has been a much better answer for me. Removing all the jets, and cleaning all the runs and ports may be more fruitful, followed by a several minute bath in the ultrasonic if you have one available. I replaced a missing spring on the needle jet and it returned my idle to normal. I have a thread on that a few months back. http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/16206-missing-part-may-cause-slow-return-idle.html
Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
13,657 Posts
If you think something is ill on the bottom, after loosening the boot clamps and removing the throttle cables, you can just turn the carb. This would be ok if you're inspecting/removing jets for instance by removing the carb bowl. Saves some time removing the entire carb, though I've gotten really quick at removal and installation of the carb. Either that or my airbox boot has gotten softer with all my removing of the carb.:D But yes, I sigh everytime I have to remove the carb so I get it! The good thing now is I don't have any problems with the carbs (both TW's).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts