TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I stopped in at my local Yamaha / Kawi dealer yesterday to pick up a new front tube and got to thinking...if not a TW, what would I ride? I sat on the Super Tenere', which is very cool, but it felt big and ungainly. Wouldn't want to take it on any trails, that's for sure. Sat on the KLR and that didn't do it for me either. It felt top heavy and the knee cutouts in the tank didn't align with my body type. These bikes ain't got nothin' on TW!

So, that said, if we no longer had our beloved Trailways, what would we choose to ride and why? Let the discussion begin!

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Good thread, looking forward to what folks have to say.

Reactions: 50short and Dubzha

·
Registered
312 Posts
20131230_162610.jpg Hmmmm...I can't think of anything, I would probably go back to buying and trading bikes like underwear and never really happy with any of them. So I am thankful for finding the tw. It just fits me and my life style:) I still have a lot of bikes but now I don't know what I am going to do..Keep the tl's and the cl and sell the xl and the cushman..but I know one thing for shur I am going to get 1 or more t-dubs! just thought I would throw in a pic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Most other bikes have their equals (more or less) that the competition offers (ex: Yamaha XT250 / Honda CRF250L / Kawasaki KLX250S) Whereas the TW is in a class of its own for a number of reasons.

With that said, I would likely choose a Yamaha XT250 because of its Yamaha name and I really prefer the smaller displacement lighter bikes. The weight is what in part drew me to the TW. Like a lot of you I have had my share of big displacement heavy bikes. Although they were well mannered for their size/weight, as I get older I find it is more fun to flick this 285 pounder around than deal with heavier bigger bikes especially when moving slowly or on gravel and stopping and starting.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've had my TW for 8 years now. It is the only bike I have ever had. I have ridden a few others but none have been as good a fit as the TW. I really like the look of the old JSM or British bikes of the same time frame. I am seriously drawn to the Triumph Bonneville. I have a feeling that it will be my TW's sister. This is not based on anything other than what I think is cool for me. To go with something else that could travel on dirt roads, than maybe the Triumph Scrambler. It is a totaly different beast and could not go where the TW can, but it is basically a dirt going Bonnie.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My 'thing' is exploring, and being able to go pretty much anywhere off road is highest priority. The TW's huge tires put it in a class by itself. Those big tires permit us to balance easily at ultra low crawler speeds. If you're picking and choosing your way through boulders, or trying to crawl through deep sand without digging in, the tires and low speeds are pretty important. The only other bike I'm curious about is the Suzuki DRZ400, but I haven't ridden one. It's a dual sport with much more sophisticated suspension. I think the weight is under 300 lbs. The power is about right; they would be somewhat more oriented to longer distance trips with more time spent at highway speed. Although no slouch off road, they are typical dirt bikes and I'd loose the huge tires' traction & flotation, probably have a higher seat, and find myself going faster off road just to plane over difficult spots. I also like being able to carry 50-60 lbs of gear, like the simplicity and general ease of repair.

The built out 230 engine and wide range 6 speed have solved the TW's problems for my purposes. I'm able to roll along Baja Mexico's hilly Highway 1 at 55 to 60 mph easily, plenty of power, quite comfortable. As far as I'm concerned the TW is ideal for what I'm doing.

Reactions: Bob Suggs

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Originally I was looking for a Kawa Super Sherpa, but couldn't find one at a reasonable price...settled on the TW, and glad I did.

If there was no TW, The SS would be on my list again, as well as the ones Xmas Chris mentioned:

"Yamaha XT250 / Honda CRF250L / Kawasaki KLX250S"

jb

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
After 20 Years Out of the Saddle .... I have looked around, my original choice was the Kaw klx 250s{as some on here have mentioned}...glad I didn't pull the trigger ...when I "discovered" the tw on ADVrider, I knew the low seat{I'm 5' 11" more or less, but have a short inseam at 29"} was a plus...the wide Jeep style tires and low out the door price on a new one, was the clincher. If not for finding the tw I would be riding the klx 250, but likely still looking for the perfect bike for my soon-to-be 65 year old butt....

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
If they quit making these wonderful little bikes, it would be like wanting a car like the one your dad had or your first mustang, wish I had kept mine lol. We would have to go back into the yesteryears and find one and restore it. Luckily with the TW, they haven't changed for years so if they ever become obsolete, there will be plenty of parts and barn finds. Let us hope that doesn't happen. Only thing that I think that would make a TW200 obsolete is if the came out with a TW250 in the same frame and tires.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome comments fellas! Keep'em coming!

I'm thinking i'd land on an F800GS if not for the TW although i'd prolly have a heart attack everytime it got scratched by passing brush. I like the size / capability of the big beemers, but that cost of entry...

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I think you would probably rather have an X challenge over the X country. I know I would. I hate these threads. I can never pick one but I am currently happy with my current selection. I would eventually like to get a bike in the 200 lb range. I still really like the idea of the ossa explorer or the other dual sported trials bikes.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I've ridden a KLX250/300 since 1994. Guess I should throw in a plug for it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Have the itch for an XT1200 Super Tenere. It will happen at some point. Wanna hold on to the TW as well.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The TW niche is hard to fill with another bike.
The wide tires, low seat height, and stability that combination offers are unique in the US Dualsport market.
With a Cycleracks rear rack few bikes short of a Goldwing can haul as much gear, and I hear Goldwings kinda suck on singletrack.
In paved twisties and corners my TW with dirt-oriented tires feels better than my KLR with street-oriented tires.

If I was going to replace my TW with a different bike though, it would probably be a Honda CRF250L. The aftermarket seems much more robust than for the XT250, and all in all the Honda seems like a sharper package.

I don't really want to replace my TW though. 90% of the time it's a better dirt bike than I am a dirt rider, and it's always just plain fun

·
Registered
487 Posts
My 'thing' is exploring, and being able to go pretty much anywhere off road is highest priority. The TW's huge tires put it in a class by itself. Those big tires permit us to balance easily at ultra low crawler speeds. If you're picking and choosing your way through boulders, or trying to crawl through deep sand without digging in, the tires and low speeds are pretty important. The only other bike I'm curious about is the Suzuki DRZ400, but I haven't ridden one. It's a dual sport with much more sophisticated suspension. I think the weight is under 300 lbs. The power is about right; they would be somewhat more oriented to longer distance trips with more time spent at highway speed. Although no slouch off road, they are typical dirt bikes and I'd loose the huge tires' traction & flotation, probably have a higher seat, and find myself going faster off road just to plane over difficult spots. I also like being able to carry 50-60 lbs of gear, like the simplicity and general ease of repair.

The built out 230 engine and wide range 6 speed have solved the TW's problems for my purposes. I'm able to roll along Baja Mexico's hilly Highway 1 at 55 to 60 mph easily, plenty of power, quite comfortable. As far as I'm concerned the TW is ideal for what I'm doing.
I have had a couple of DRZ 400 s. They are good bikes, but I can take the TW where I could not go with them. One thing where Suzuki screwed up on the DRZ, is it needs a 6 th gear. I am intrigued with the thought of setting up a wr 250 x with the off road mods that would make it a contender to rival the tw. ( I think )

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have had a couple of DRZ 400 s. They are good bikes, but I can take the TW where I could not go with them. One thing where Suzuki screwed up on the DRZ, is it needs a 6 th gear. I am intrigued with the thought of setting up a wr 250 x with the off road mods that would make it a contender to rival the tw. ( I think )
Do you think the DRZ 400 needs another gear on the top or the bottom?

My only experience with them is a group trail ride with 4 other bikes, the DRZ had the toughest time. That bike stalled out over and over. It was rough country in parts and I somehow wound up leading the pack on the TW for a while, a KLR 600 (yeah!) and KLR650 were making the DRZ look bad.

I've heard before that the DRZ is geared too high for trail riding, but from that one experience I can't claim to have enough info to make a call on whether it was the wrong bike for the trail or the wrong rider.

Of course, it could have just been me! It wouldn't be the first time I ruined a riding buddy's time with my creepy-crawling slow riding!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts