TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Since 95% of my trail riding is in and through water and sandy mud it's funny to see you transversing those puddles in the desert.

Why would someone put up that barbed wire across the trail? Clearly they were also riding or driving the desert trails too. Why would they want to do that?
You were lucky you missed that trap.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Very nice video , like the various camera angles.

Good eyes to see the cross-trail wire, those boobie traps can cause serious injury or death.
Why people do this is a mystery, reveals a certain dark side lurking in the human physic of some. A hooligan wishing harm? An environmentalist trying to defend desert against motor vehicles? Someone trying to trap illegal aliens? A motorcycle hater?

While the onboard OEM toolkit's pliers can work a better set of piers sure helps if you ever get fence wire wrapped around the rear wheel/sprocket/chain and hub.

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
The wire across the trail is a criminal act. People have been killed with that kind of radical behavior. It could just as easily be a horse rider or even an unwary hiker getting tripped up by the wire.

As far as the ride goes, an excellent place to ride. I suppose it gets too hot in summer to ride out there. Well, I know it is having spent a wonderful part of one summer at Ft. Irwin. You are getting just as good at running the cameras and editing the footage as you are riding. You'll be leaving us in the dust...in a good way.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I've seen a lot of this type of stuff in SoCal, unfortunately. Luckily I never personally experienced it, but have read about various types of traps out in the deserts. Typically (the ones I've read about), they have been set by anti-motorcyclist, anti-"thrill seeker" "environmentalists". These are acts of domestic terrorism, plain and simple. Those responsible, when caught, should face swift and true justice in the form of capital punishment.

270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since 95% of my trail riding is in and through water and sandy mud it's funny to see you transversing those puddles in the desert.

Why would someone put up that barbed wire across the trail? Clearly they were also riding or driving the desert trails too. Why would they want to do that?
You were lucky you missed that trap.
Puddles and mud are definitely a rarity out this way!

As far as the wire, I’m guessing it was pure malicious intent. I see no other reason. It was only a short section of wire that was not part of a fence as far as we could tell.

270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very nice video , like the various camera angles.

Good eyes to see the cross-trail wire, those boobie traps can cause serious injury or death.
Why people do this is a mystery, reveals a certain dark side lurking in the human physic of some. A hooligan wishing harm? An environmentalist trying to defend desert against motor vehicles? Someone trying to trap illegal aliens? A motorcycle hater?

While the onboard OEM toolkit's pliers can work a better set of piers sure helps if you ever get fence wire wrapped around the rear wheel/sprocket/chain and hub.

Thanks, Fred!

I’m glad I was paying attention and not off in Lala land looking at the scenery, ya know?! Time to update my tool set.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Puddles and mud are definitely a rarity out this way!

As far as the wire, I’m guessing it was pure malicious intent. I see no other reason. It was only a short section of wire that was not part of a fence as far as we could tell.

That really sucks. Real a$$hole mentality.

270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The wire across the trail is a criminal act. People have been killed with that kind of radical behavior. It could just as easily be a horse rider or even an unwary hiker getting tripped up by the wire.

As far as the ride goes, an excellent place to ride. I suppose it gets too hot in summer to ride out there. Well, I know it is having spent a wonderful part of one summer at Ft. Irwin. You are getting just as good at running the cameras and editing the footage as you are riding. You'll be leaving us in the dust...in a good way.

First thing I thought was how easily that could kill someone. It is absolutely a criminal act. That will always be in the back of my mind no matter where I ride.

You got that right! Summer riding is brutal. 120º is the norm…especially these past few summers.

Thank you, Admiral! I would have never guessed that this mini dual sport would forge such an intense drive in me…a drive to create, hone my riding abilities, explore, learn to wrench on my bike, so forth and so on. :D

270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great video!
Thanks for putting them up, I always enjoy the scenery down there!
Much appreciated! Thank you for watching!

270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i wonder if the recent storms had carried an old fence line down the wash and across the trail
It’s possible, but it looked contrived to us.

270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've seen a lot of this type of stuff in SoCal, unfortunately. Luckily I never personally experienced it, but have read about various types of traps out in the deserts. Typically (the ones I've read about), they have been set by anti-motorcyclist, anti-"thrill seeker" "environmentalists". These are acts of domestic terrorism, plain and simple. Those responsible, when caught, should face swift and true justice in the form of capital punishment.
Josh over at the Each Adventure channel ran across something similar out this way. I want to say it was some sort of board with numerous nails sticking out, camouflaged, and in the middle of the trail.

·
Registered
184 Posts

Yup. Sadly I see this far too often on our local group pages. Usually it's a homebrew spike strip but the wire doesn't surprise me.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Probably 15 or 20 years ago someone would pour oil across the road on Palomar Mountain so when the sport bike riders who zipped up and down the mountain would hit it while leaned over in the curve.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Once on a sport bike ride in the hills of rural N. Texas we encountered several corners (not sequential) where some malicious goober had strewn pea-gravel just past the apexes, just out of line-of-sight.
There were 3 of us, all experienced, skilled riders on very good handling bikes. That, plus a good degree of luck saved any of us from biting the big weenie...these were 60-70 MPH corners. There were some tire-slips and very tense moments. Very dangerous.
We saw a big-ol' deputy sheriff in the next town at a gas station. We told him about it and he said it been happening once in a while lately. One bike had low-sided off the road. The deputy was really pissed off about it...and very sympathetic. He said he had passed that way an hour or so before us and it was all clear...so it was "fresh" when we passed.
He said he would get someone out there right away with a broom and sweep the corners. And he and others would keep a close eye on that area.
He told us to be careful, then added: "I sure wish you boys could be there when I catch the sunuvabitch that is doing that...he'll likely fall out of his truck when I stop him, then he's going to jail and charges will be filed!"

Rural Texas...one place where quick & sure frontier justice can still be found!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts